: Kmart Sucks

Playdrv4me
05-21-05, 11:45 PM
So the closest superstore to my apartment (since everything in rural PA is too damn far to be convenient) is a Kmart and Ive learned to lower my standards and start shopping there for my snacks and toiletries.

I get home today and start munching on my backwards Oreos (the filling is chocolate and the outside is white) and I'm like somethins not right here... they were just kind of stale tasting. So I turn the package over and I find...

http://www.mercwear.com/inelson/Oreo1.jpg

They frieken expire TOMORROW. Now if I have one pet food peeve its expired food, I cant stand it.

So just out of morbid curiousity I turn over the pringles I just bought and lo and behold...

http://www.mercwear.com/inelson/Pringles01.jpg

Yea, despite my shitty picture taking skills that says 5/2005. So I dont know what kind of delayed or screwed up stocking system they have at KMart, but Im marching right back in there tomorrow cause Im not tossing out two whole packages of food, one I can understand but not both.

Its so dumb I even have to do this but when ya pull food off the shelf, I dont know... I guess you kind of expect it to be fresh.

Grr.

Ralph
05-21-05, 11:49 PM
LOL! Always grab from the BACK of the selection. :shhh: :yup: That's where they stick the fresh ones. Either way I don't think it would hurt you to eat them. They are still good until midnight!!! :sneaky:

:vomit:

Playdrv4me
05-21-05, 11:54 PM
Yea I mean its just the principle. If i was over at your house and you were like, "Hey Ive got these Oreos but they expire tomorrow", I probably wouldnt care and just eat them, but when I JUST BOUGHT the things today, it just pisses me off the store cant keep fresh product on the shelf.

Ralph
05-21-05, 11:56 PM
Yea I mean its just the principle. If i was over at your house and you were like, "Hey Ive got these Oreos but they expire tomorrow", I probably wouldnt care and just eat them, but when I JUST BOUGHT the things today, it just pisses me off the store cant keep fresh product on the shelf.

If you still have the receipt, you could take them back and get them exchanged....

RBraczyk
05-21-05, 11:56 PM
Its not like the chemical half life expires at midnight on the 22nd. Its good a day or two beyond. They probably got exposed to moisture.

Jesda
05-21-05, 11:58 PM
LMFAO. I cant believe theyre that old!

Playdrv4me
05-22-05, 12:00 AM
If you still have the receipt, you could take them back and get them exchanged....

Oh I dont have any doubt they will exchange them, even without the receipt. I certainly dont want my money back or anything, its not about that. I mainly just want to grab some fresh ones of both off the shelf.

And I guess from now on Ill make sure to turn the stupid package over and check. Or better yet, Ill just go to the overpriced supermarket further down the street. Sigh.

Like I said, I dont think expired snack foods make you sick, but you wouldnt deliver a new car to me with worn tires, its the same thing. Dont sell me expired shit, it pisses me off.

Ralph
05-22-05, 12:03 AM
Oh I dont have any doubt they will exchange them, even without the receipt. I certainly dont want my money back or anything, its not about that. I mainly just want to grab some fresh ones of both off the shelf.

And I guess from now on Ill make sure to turn the stupid package over and check. Or better yet, Ill just go to the overpriced supermarket further down the street. Sigh.

Like I said, I dont think expired snack foods make you sick, but you wouldnt deliver a new car to me with worn tires, its the same thing. Dont sell me expired shit, it pisses me off.

LOL, good point!! :D

Playdrv4me
05-22-05, 12:03 AM
LMFAO. I cant believe theyre that old!

LOL, I know I know... I was thinking the same thing... How LONG have they been there if...

Stoneage_Caddy
05-22-05, 12:05 AM
You think thats bad ....lisen to this ....

Little brother looses his cell phone , this apprently is a big deal for a 14 year old (why ?). Anyway while we are at K mart he buys a new one a cingular prepaid one. Pop it out of its package and register its vin number type thing to get a phone number for it. Lady ont he other end of the phone said the reg number is no good. She says the phone is well over a year old. So we told her "we just ought this phone 2 hours ago it cannot be a year old". Well we get that much figured and and discover the phone wont stay on for over 1 hour or the battery dies. When its all said and done , cingualr has to step in and take the phone back (not k mart). Turns out the phone was 2 years old , and had been sitting there at k mart for those 2 years.

When no one shops your dirty nasty filty unorganized store you cant turn the inventory to order new or fresh inventory ....but yet they pulled themselves out of bankrupcy and bought my beloved Sears .....

I hate Kmart .....as much as i hate wallmart ....Food comes from a grocery store kids ...not a store where you can buy panties 30 feet from my pringles ....

My food comes from the grocery store
My clothes come from target or Jc Penny
My Autoparts come From GM
Everything else now comes from either target or the internet....

Ive grown too tired of the "super store" and wont go to them they are far to vast for my simple mind

Playdrv4me
05-22-05, 12:13 AM
Their stores are disgusting arent they. And they closed MOST of the SuperKmarts that actually were competition for the Wal-Marts. In defense of Wally world, I havent ever had any problems with anything from there.

Now the sad thing is, that I simply can not justify going to mom and pop grocery stores in towns like this because due to the infiltration of the bigger stores, their prices are absolutely exhorbitant. Pringles at Kmart or WalMart are about 1.00, at the Grocery store they are sometimes as much as 2.00, and when you buy several at once thats alot of dough. 12 Pack cans of soda are another mystery, some places they are as much as 4.29 or more, and at the superstores they are rarely more than 3.29.

Its small change, but it does add up when you make frequent visits.

EDIT: Wow, it just gets better and better, I looked at some cereal box I need to throw away I bought about a month ago, and it expires in July. Most cereals I purchase dont expire for at least another year.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-22-05, 12:25 AM
i judge a sotre by its toilets ...i should be proud to take a crap in the store ....

i also look at the shelves , and K mart has shevlves that have crap from 16 firrent asiles in them ....

why i use the panties line dates back to when i was in the hotwheels asile one time and there was a gallon of milk half drank , a pair of paintes , a fishing rod and a box of diapers ....

now this is susly a isolated incodent in a wallmart or whatnot...but each time in a k mart you can count on that and there being plenty of marth frickin stewart mchandise ....i find it funny every customer i talk to in line says "you know how long it took me to find (insert item here) that didnt have a martha label ....

you should see how pissed they get when i show them the item they grabbed also has the martha label ....

k mart sucks ....

Stoneage_Caddy
05-22-05, 12:27 AM
i forgot to mention , i afraid of K mart bathrooms , there so nasty im sure drinking the sess pool water from a hospital is a safer activity then taking a crap in that store

Jesda
05-22-05, 12:40 AM
I've fallen in love with Sears. Craftsman tools, and AWESOME prices on very nice clothes. I picked up a fancy long-sleeve shirt and a nice Dockers leather belt for only $15. Last time I bought Dockers pants for $6 a pair! Plus, the service is great. When I was buying ties and shirts I got my own personal shopper guy.

D148L0
05-22-05, 12:59 AM
I've never been to a Kmart.
But that stuff happens every now and then. You are smarter now, man: next time you'll check the date before taking the goods.

adam_mcd
05-22-05, 01:10 AM
eat it and be a man. builds character.

Ralph
05-22-05, 01:53 AM
Its not like the chemical half life expires at midnight on the 22nd. Its good a day or two beyond. They probably got exposed to moisture.

I know that! I was joking and implying he'd better eat them before midnight. :shhh: That's the joke. :annoyed:

c5 rv
05-22-05, 07:51 AM
Don't worry, K-Mart won't be long for this world. Just remember that the folks who put the final nails in K-Mart's coffin recently bought Sears. They're real estate speculators, not retailers, who are leveraging the value of the store locations to sell to big-box retailers that are still growing. That K-Mart store you're shopping at is just a facade for potential buyers. Kinda like the loaner furniture and cardboard electronics builders put in open houses.

Boombotz
05-22-05, 07:55 AM
Kmart sucks is right, I can't go there for anything because they usually don't have it anyway. I do my grocery shopping at supermarket and only go to walmart when target dosen't have what I need. Target may be a little more expensive, but you get in and out. Those stupid Walmart stores take forever to find parking and find what you need in the store. While your looking for that 1 item in this huge store you manage to have 20 items by checkout and spent over $100. on stuff you really didn't need. We have a supermarket here called Publix and have never had a problem untill recently. I think problems like this can accur anywhere. Went food shopping Thursday .My daughter and niece were playing together Saturday asked them if they wanted Hot Dogs for lunch. Needless to say I cooked them and they looked Yellow. I then checked expiration and it was over a month ago in April. Thank god I looked, but now I will always look in the store. I think that will be my theory no matter where I am shopping, because it doesn't really matter how nice the store it depends on the employee's that are on the floor restocking.

malcolm
05-22-05, 08:38 AM
Why do you think they sell so cheap? They take all excess inventory from manufacturers, the stuff that real retailers will not accept. Give me a mom and pop store anytime, I will pay the small difference for first quality goods and a deal with a store owner that knows me. Same goes for Home Depot. Ever wonder whay their return policy is so liberal? They committ to buying 100% of a manufacturers product, no QA means they can sell cheaper. The customer provices the QA. Fcuk all the warehouse super stores, I want my little downtown shopping area back and I will fill my ash tray (obscure reference to another thread) with coins for the meters.

Playdrv4me
05-22-05, 10:51 AM
Hey I was with you on the coin thing ;) ... however I have to say WalMart has the same prices or better than Kmart and their product is always first quality, never had anything expired or otherwise problematic from there. The one thing they do alot is put returns back on the shelf, but thats standard fare for any of those big box retailers. Thats my main complaint, Ive never liked Kmart, and WalMart has always handed them their ass... this just kind of reinforces that fact for me.

Ive also noticed that the south is very different from the northeast. Everything around here is still old fashioned for the most part, where the midwest and south is more modern open architecture and many more "chain" operations. Since I come from that environment, I tend to prefer chain retailers anyway. Im not from here, and I dont plan to stay for long, so really I just need the most convenient and cheapest option.

ben72227
05-22-05, 01:24 PM
I come from Arkansas, so Wal-Mart is well, god here. I mean, Sam Walton is our Hero that we look up too:lildevil:. Anyway, K-Mart sucks everywhere i think. THey're stores are always dirty, disorganized, and yucky. Walmart has the best groceries (only Kroger can compete, here anyways) and its just convenient being able to get everything you need at one place.

As for the Sears/Kmart thing, i think the best thing is to sell off all of the K-marts, give Sears the Martha Stewart stuff, and then Sears will pretty much have it made. I mean, if you have Craftsman Tools AND Martha Stewart stuff, you can't go wrong:lildevil:.

Playdrv4me
05-22-05, 06:46 PM
So I take the crap back... and the manager lady goes off on me because 5/2005 is still technically in date AND she wont exchange without a receipt. So I stormed out of the store and went and cooled off in my truck. I grabbed the receipt for the cookies and came back in. I said this is just plain ridiculous that you dont see the principle here. You are making me jump through hoops, blaming Nabisco and telling me I should just eat these because today is still the 22nd. Not only that, you wont exchange the product without receipt like WalMart does even seeing how frustrated and embarrased I am to come in here with this in the first place.

So get this... she tells me to go back and get some other ones now that I do have the receipt, I get there... and not only are the ones on the shelf EXPIRED...

THEY EXPIRED ON APRIL 27TH.... A WHOLE MONTH AGO! So I grabbed something else off the shelf and gave up. I went back and told her what I found and left. She basically lied to me, wouldnt exchange the product, and didnt care about the product being expired. Then she blamed Nabisco for not keeping the product updated.

Ralph
05-22-05, 06:51 PM
LOL!!! :histeric: Aw man, I had a feeling they would want the receipt, most places do now.

I guess you won't go there again.

Playdrv4me
05-22-05, 07:02 PM
LOL!!! :histeric: Aw man, I had a feeling they would want the receipt, most places do now.

I guess you won't go there again.

Its funny you mention that because I was thinking of you when she asked me about the receipt lol. Its ridiculous because WallyWorld does not ask questions over something so stupid as a food exchange. If WalMart sells a product, and its current stock, they will replace it regardless of whether you have a receipt or not.

In fact the irony is, I could have taken these back to WALMART, and probably had less hassle, AND found fresh ones on the shelf!

Kev
05-22-05, 07:07 PM
For all you bachelors and those who may not know, the date you are identifying as ‘expiration’ is actually the last date on which the product may legally be sold by the retailer. The item, if stored properly, may be OK to eat beyond that date or may go bad before it. If it beyond the date the retailers are required to remove and dispose of the items. But as you have noted, in this regard, Kmart sucks.

In regards to the ‘Mom & Pop’ stores, as all of you know, they aren’t able to buy in large quantities and therefore their prices after they have included overhead and profit are much higher generally than large chain stores.

We have a small grocery store in our neighborhood that has recently opened. It likely will not last long. It’s not the first in it’s location. When the previous store was there people whined about the high prices compared to Wal-Mart and the large Supermarkets in town. When the store closed due to lack of business people whined again that there was no longer a conveniently located store to buy things they needed. They had to drive 3 miles into town to get it.

So, now we have a new market in the location, their prices are higher than Albertson’s, Food’s Co and Wal-Mart. They will never be able to compete with the prices of the big boys and the cycle will go on for at least one more revolution.

And people will whine…..

Night Wolf
05-22-05, 07:17 PM
I didn't have a good experience at Sears when I was getting tires on my Oldsmobile...

Besides some people that work, and shop at WalMart, I never really had a problem... never go to Kmart....

davesdeville
05-22-05, 08:30 PM
KMart is bad, Walmart is worse around here. The lowest class of people go there, usually accompanied by a bad odor and a gang of kids. I don't visit either.

Rolex
05-22-05, 09:10 PM
Yeah K-Mart sucks.

ben72227
05-22-05, 10:24 PM
The lowest class of people go there, usually accompanied by a bad odor and a gang of kids. I don't visit either.

Yep, but we just got a NEW Wal-Mart in the rich part of town (west little rock). All of the low-class people go to the old wal-mart, because its closer to their...neighborhoods. And its a SUPERCENTER!!!:histeric:

Stoneage_Caddy
05-22-05, 11:37 PM
Yeah K-Mart sucks.
definatly not my underware ....definatly definatly definatly not my underware .....

10 minutes till whopner

Ralph
05-23-05, 12:30 AM
Its funny you mention that because I was thinking of you when she asked me about the receipt lol. Its ridiculous because WallyWorld does not ask questions over something so stupid as a food exchange. If WalMart sells a product, and its current stock, they will replace it regardless of whether you have a receipt or not.

In fact the irony is, I could have taken these back to WALMART, and probably had less hassle, AND found fresh ones on the shelf!

LOL, told ya they'd want the receipt. We haven't had a Kmart for about 10 years because Zellers bought them all out.

I like Wallmart for electronics and I bought my 32 in. Phillips TV from them when everyone wanted 200 dollars more back in 1999.

Rolex
05-23-05, 12:33 AM
definatly not my underware ....definatly definatly definatly not my underware .....

10 minutes till whopner
Good for a laugh. I think we're both a little disturbed!?:D

Jesda
05-23-05, 02:30 AM
Wal-Mart is the closest 24-hour grocer to my house, now that the neighborhood ones close at midnight. Its annoying because Wal-Mart at 2am requires a 6-mile drive down the interstate.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-23-05, 08:49 AM
Good for a laugh. I think we're both a little disturbed!?:D
yes , yes i do ......now where are my cheese balls and green jello ..... :banghead: :bighead: :bonkers: :banghead:

adam_mcd
05-25-05, 02:56 AM
friend and i went into our wal mart, which is a regular/supercenter hybrid and drove around on the electric carts. damn they go fast...0-60 feet in 4.9 seconds.