: what hose do you drain coolant from? top or bottom?

fpmesiIII
05-21-05, 03:00 PM
i dont have a lift, and i was wondering what hose do you disconnect from the radiator the top or the bottom?

1996deVille
05-21-05, 04:32 PM
Bottom hose, at the radiator. You can't get to the petcock on the rad anyway...
I'd cover the surrounding area to the right of the hose (driver's side, you'll see why when you're there) with a cloth. Grab the lower hose and release the coolant down - some will find its way into the area in front of the rad, just flush it out when you're done.

And, get rid of the OEM clamps and get a couple slotted screw types- makes life much easier!!!

Good luck!

fpmesiIII
05-21-05, 06:06 PM
so basically once you remove the lining under the car you have access to the bottom rad. hose.? also do you put the coolant supplement pellets in the top radiator hose?

Ranger
05-21-05, 06:43 PM
I never removed anything under my car. Once you remove the intake ducting, you have enough room to get to the hoses. Put the suppliment tabs in either hose.

fpmesiIII
05-21-05, 07:46 PM
sorry, new to this. where is the intake ducting located? also is it ok to put the pellets in the hose after you put the new coolant in?

Ranger
05-21-05, 08:24 PM
Intake ducting is the black plastic tube running from the TB to the air filter box. The box just sits in place with a couple of rubber grommets. After loosening the clamps at the TB and the air box, and removing the IAT sensor plug, just lift the box and swivel it on the TB.

Put the pellets in BEFORE you refill the cooling system.

fpmesiIII
05-21-05, 10:27 PM
if i put the pellets in after coolant change. i did loose some coolant after poping off top rad. hose. so after putting the pellets in, i did add more coolant to the surge tank, to make it full. will this harm my system if i put pellets after?

Ranger
05-21-05, 10:40 PM
No, you won't hurt anything but why not do it when the system is empty? Just remove the easiest hose to get at and pop in 4-6 tabs.

fpmesiIII
05-21-05, 11:11 PM
heh, yeah. next time im gonna do it pellets before adding coolant. i did put 6 pellets in. i went to the local cadillac dealer and they said i should change my dex cool coolant 30-40k. and i mentioned to the service manager that 5 yrs/100k is the interval you change at. and he said naw, i wouldnt do that, 30-40k is where you need to change it. i thought this was quite interesting hearing from a cadillac dealer.

Ranger
05-21-05, 11:17 PM
It's all about money. That's proably what they recommend so they get more work, and they probably get $200-$300 for a coolant change. That's why Jiffy lube keeps telling people too ignore the OLM and do oil changes at 3K.