: I got the jorrrrrrrrrb. (I'm a GM boy now!)

Jesda
05-20-05, 09:35 PM
http://www.hrwiki.org/images/thumb/7/72/220px-coachztalker.PNG

A month or so ago I fished around for a job in auto sales, preferably new luxury. I didnt think I was going to get hired at any of the large dealerships due to my lack of experience, so I took a job for a small used lot in the ghetto...
http://q.spilky.com/nicothread/work1.jpg
...where I worked for about two weeks until I quit yesterday. There's a serious lack of foot traffic and customers that can actually afford the cars.

Fortunately, I've been in touch with the sales manager at a Cadillac dealer for a while, and found out today I got the job. Training starts next week (they said they'd call to tell me exactly when it begins). w00t! Its a mixed Pontiac/Cadillac/Pre-owned dealer, so I will primarily sell Pontiac and pre-owned with the option of Cadillac.

Yay! Can't wait to drive a Bonneville GXP or GTO.

http://q.spilky.com/nicothread/moorecadillac.jpg

Brett
05-20-05, 09:43 PM
alright, now lets get those web deals going :)

D148L0
05-20-05, 09:45 PM
Congratulations.

Ralph
05-20-05, 09:52 PM
Congrats! you could have waited until the Focus was out of the pic. ;) :shhh: :D

They should force you to drive a Cadillac now so you fall in love.... :sneaky:

slk230mb
05-20-05, 10:31 PM
They should force you to drive a Cadillac now so you fall in love.... :sneaky:

:yeah: :shhh:

Sandy
05-20-05, 10:57 PM
As someone who was in new car auto salesfor 27 years, I wish you well. One thing is for sure, your blood will boil from now on when you hear laymen bad-mouth car salesmen. You will fast learn how hard we work, how impossible your boss is to please, and how horrible many buyers are.

I wish you well. Can you sell used cars? (That's were the serious $$$$ is !)
You justsold away all of your evenings, and every "Free" Saturday of yours. You do know that, right?

Remember this, the OTHER salesmen will appear to be your friemd(s). They aren't. What kind of a house is it? Do you know? Systems House?
Hull Dobbs? Open Floor? Control Central ?

Best wishes!!
S A N D Y

radbag
05-21-05, 12:23 AM
congrats...all the best jesda!

Jesda
05-21-05, 03:43 AM
Congrats! you could have waited until the Focus was out of the pic. ;) :shhh: :D

LOL, I took about ten shots but all of them had big SUVs blocking the view. Rush hour.

c5 rv
05-21-05, 08:50 AM
...What kind of a house is it? Do you know? Systems House?
Hull Dobbs? Open Floor? Control Central ?
S A N D Y

Sandy, could you explain these for us laypersons?

Playdrv4me
05-21-05, 11:17 AM
Good luck, I think youll make a good car salesperson if you stick with it and dont let the annoyances of the job get to you.

HotRodSaint
05-21-05, 01:28 PM
Make sure you polish those white shoes and iron that baby blue leasure suit. :D

Sandy
05-21-05, 03:45 PM
Sandy, could you explain these for us laypersons?

Well....

I think i'll just do "Open Floor"
Some dealership management strive to have harmony between the members of the sales force. Others don't really care.

In a decent house the first salesperson to arrive in the AM gets the first customer to come in, and the second salesperson to arrive gets the 2nd customer to arrive, and so on and so forth, establishing the "order" of the day. When a salesperson is "busy" (busy meaning that he/she is either out to lunch or dinner, or is making a delivery) then he/she is removed from the "order" ~ When he/she is no longer "busy" then they rejoin the order of the day, taking their place. Obviously, you cannot be called away to take a customer looking for a car, when you are actually delivering a car to another customer. A very aggressive, young salesperson, usually with no family, or family ties, will arrange to make all of his deliveries ON his day off, so that he/she does NOT miss a turn with a customer. This however means that you will work 6 or 7 days a week. (7 if God Forbid you are in a state that allows dealers to be OPEN on Sundays)! Otherwise, you'll be there 6 days a week, if you schedule deliveries on your day off.

An "OPEN FLOOR" generally breeds discontent between members of the salesforce. Open Floor means there is absolutely NO order !!! You grab as many "lookers" as you can!!

2 things happen (bad) with an open floor. #1 If the salesperson sences that the looker is not a buyer, like NOW NOW NOW ~ (or at the very least, this week), frequently the salesperson will give 'em 5 minutes and "Ball 'em & "card 'em" - meaning ~ toss an unrealistic (read: imposible to do) price at 'em and hand 'em his business card. GOODBYE.
Now, customer may leave feeling that he or she got a brush off. If the salesperson is seasoned & smooth, they will not feel that way. He may spend 7 minutes with them, if they are not busy that day.
Example: Guy comes in and says the he's looking for his brother who is moving there from Alaska and will need to buy a car, so brother is looking around for him. You ask when is his brother coming here from Alaska, and find out the answer is NEXT Summer! (it's November, we'll pretend). Spend a few moments with him, ball him good, and card him. He'll definately return.
(Ball him, means low ball him on the price). Get outta the gutter.
Secondly, an open floor creates discomfort among all members of the sales force, because there is ALWAYS ONE PIG. Piggy will wander around outdoors, so that he can grab 'em as soon as they arrive, right at their arrival car. (This is called "Skating") ~ Piggy is very familiar with skating. He can also skate from the showroom, by hogging the entrance door, or having his desk by the main entrace door, closest to the customer parking lot. Pigs can also skate in a different way. There's no customers around, it's fairly quiet. Most of ther sales force is seated at their individual desks, on the floor. In pulls a 8 year old Ford. Mom, Dad, 2 kids in the back. Perfect Customers !
Piggy announces "Oh, great! Here's Mr & Mrs Henderson, I had them on Wednesday morning, they are back, looks good" ~ So....all the other guys assume that this is a "Bee Back" and NOT a fresh all new customer ~ ~ but they've just been skated!! It's REALY Mr & Mrs Smith ! Piggy's out the door allready!!
It works really good, with certain nationalities!
If you say, Oh, Great, Here is Mr & Mrs Patel (and they are from India) 9 chances outta 10 you are gonna be right, anyhow.
If they are Asian, and you say Mr & Mrs Chen, you've got a 5 in 10 chance of being correct, too.
So, as you can see, open floor is not a happy floor ~ not for the salesforce, nor for the consumer. Such dealerships have a high turnover of front end help! (Front End meaning showroom).

I hope you do not have an open floor !

Jesda
05-21-05, 04:27 PM
Bwahahaha. I'm young and have no life. This is going to be hilarious fun!

Sandy
05-21-05, 05:15 PM
Keep eyes open. I think that you'll learn quick. Trust me on this:
It's definately NOT fun. It's hard work, and it's hard to make a decent living at it. There's NO pension, there's NO retirement, there's NO renewals after you retire to live on. Every Monday AM you have to somehow, someway, put a week's pay together. Save as much as you can, because from mid-November to late March is starvation alley.

Ralph
05-21-05, 05:23 PM
Keep eyes open. I think that you'll learn quick. Trust me on this:
It's definately NOT fun. It's hard work, and it's hard to make a decent living at it. There's NO pension, there's NO retirement, there's NO renewals after you retire to live on. Every Monday AM you have to somehow, someway, put a week's pay together. Save as much as you can, because from mid-November to late March is starvation alley.

Gee Sandy, don't encourage him so much. ;)

just kidding.

Sandy, I've heard from a friend in town that the Mercedes Benz salespeople are mad that they have to waste time selling those new "Smart cars" because they are only $20,000 here. Apparently they are furious that they have to waste time selling and showing them to people when they could be making commission on an S-class instead!! Talk about greed and snobbery!!

I think the perspective of the salesperson, positive or negative, will effect overall job satisfaction, but a sale is a sale and they will still make money on other cars even if they have to sell a few Smart cars in between imo.

Jesda
05-21-05, 06:40 PM
Friend of mine worked for an Infiniti dealer in Palo Alto. He loved it, and pulled $1700/wk. The hours were long and full of hard work, but the rewards were great. He liked how the cars basically sold themselves. He's taking a break now, but going back later this year.

Playdrv4me
05-21-05, 06:58 PM
Friend of mine worked for an Infiniti dealer in Palo Alto. He loved it, and pulled $1700/wk. The hours were long and full of hard work, but the rewards were great. He liked how the cars basically sold themselves. He's taking a break now, but going back later this year.

Yea, Lexus/Infiniti/MB/BMW Sales people all make a very good living. Its tough work but I know my saleslady at BMW (the fact that half the salespeople at those high end dealers are family women should tell you something btw) was doing so well as a sales floor person, shes now the sales manager. She is the cream of the crop, really terrific.

Sandy
05-21-05, 08:43 PM
Ralph, the price of the car has NO bearing on the commission! The commission is based upon the PROFIT in the deal. You could sell
a de Ville for $55,000 (US) and a Grand Am (say a Pontiac/Cadillac store) for $24,000 and actually make a larger commission on the Grand Am.
Their bitchin' has it's roots in social class.

Ralph
05-21-05, 08:47 PM
Ralph, the price of the car has NO bearing on the commission! The commission is based upon the PROFIT in the deal. You could sell
a de Ville for $55,000 (US) and a Grand Am (say a Pontiac/Cadillac store) for $24,000 and actually make a larger commission on the Grand Am.
Their bitchin' has it's roots in social class.

Ok, thanks. I'll relay the info to my buddy and see what he says. Unless sales are done differently here or at Benz...