: 5 legged.....

powerglide
05-20-05, 09:36 AM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - One of Orlando Romero's calves has a leg up on the other 25 calves born within the last two weeks on his ranch east of Tucumcari. The calf was born with an extra leg, with two hooves, growing from its back.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050520/D8A6IVO81.html

.....reminds me of Rachel Dratch's character on SNL. (you know the drooling woman with the arm growing out of her head?)

illumina
05-20-05, 02:10 PM
Damned government genetic experiments...

Elvis
05-20-05, 02:13 PM
That reminds me of the 3-legged chicken joke.

"How do they taste?"

"Don't know, ain't never caught one."

Xrayqueen
05-20-05, 03:00 PM
They should put the poor little thing to sleep :(
Peace :)

Elvis
05-20-05, 03:52 PM
That kind of thing happens a lot more often than people realize.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-20-05, 04:34 PM
yall ottta see what happens to fish

Kev
05-20-05, 04:39 PM
They should put the poor little thing to sleep :(
Peace :)Why? Just because it's different? Poor little guy, if it's healthy what's wrong with letting it live? Other than being slightly awkward, what harm is the extra leg?

I guess I just don't get it. :nono:

Kev
05-20-05, 04:44 PM
"She moves like a damn deer. I had a heck of a time trying to catch her," said Jess Weaks, the ranch caretaker. "She's pretty ornery, that's for sure."

The week-old calf's extra leg does not touch the ground. It is attached to the calf's back between the shoulder blades, and hangs to its right side.

The branch-like growth is the only major difference between the copper-colored calf and the rest of the herd, said Shane Jennings, a neighbor who first spotted the heifer.

"It's just cosmetic. She's out there in the pasture right now, like any other cow. The little booger's doing good. It's in real good health," Jennings said. I say give the little gal a chance and more power to her!

Xrayqueen
05-20-05, 07:40 PM
Okay maybe I was a little harsh. How's about an amputation ??? I think the little animal would be more comfortable.
Peace :)

Spyder
05-21-05, 11:18 PM
'Cause hacking off random body parts sounds like comfort to me!

davesdeville
05-22-05, 03:15 AM
Having a random limb like that for the duration of your life is probably less comfortable than having it removed.

Xrayqueen
05-22-05, 05:57 AM
How would you like to have three arms or three legs :hmm: (No pun intended :) )
I think I'd be more comfortable without the extra's. I work in a hospital and I see at least a baby every so often where the parent is seeking amputation of an extra digit. Or I see parents who have to decide on what sex they would prefer for their child. The sex issue is rare but it happens where babies are born with both organ's. I'm all for medical intervention if it makes Animal or Human live a more comfortable life.
Peace :yawn: