: VW project car

Katshot
02-13-03, 09:46 AM
It's all power to weight ratio.
Anybody remember V-8 Vega's?
I was building hot-rod VW Beetles myself. Anything from hopped-up VW engines, to Porsche engines, to 426 Hemi's
Yeah, I said HEMI in a VW :D
And how about a small block Chevy on a motorcycle? Been there, done that.
The easiest way to go fast is to dump a lot of power into something small. Also the most dangerous way, but what the hell, like KC said, "ya gotta die from something".
Hell, I would've bet that I would've been scrapped up off a road or wall, or tree by now. Who would've known that the one time I did go splat/crunch, they would be able to put me back together. ya gotta love medical science ;)

kcnewell
02-13-03, 11:00 AM
I Had a '71 Vega wagon with a 283 and a turbo 350 back in '73/'74. Looked totally stock except wheels and tires. If you looked close you might have seen two exhaust pipes stickin' out from under...I painted 'em black to make it hard to spot!

Little screamer!

Mad'lac
02-13-03, 02:04 PM
I heard of someguy putting a Cad 500 in a VW bug over at MTS Boards

Katshot
02-13-03, 04:06 PM
I still got it beat w/the Hemi ;)
The Caddy engine is a piece of cake since it already gets along with the transaxle. Basically, it ends up making it a "bolt-in" assembly (engine/trans). On the other hand, the Hemi was a little bit harder. We DID use a Tornado engine/trans setup originally, and it DID work better than the Hemi but we wanted to see if we could do the Hemi.
In the end, the Hemi had too much power and we couldn't keep the car together. The Tornado drivetrain was easier to do and was a "cleaner" install for sure.

jeff___H
02-13-03, 04:50 PM
I'm looking for a turbo for my VW project.. May be getting one from a Turbo GTA.. :cool: Fiberglas EMPI body on a '64 Beetle pan. 1914cc.

Katshot
02-13-03, 05:38 PM
A turbo from a GTA? Pontiac?
You actually have a '64 pan that's not half eaten up with rust?
Who built the motor?
Ok, so I have an inquiring mind ;)

elwesso
02-13-03, 09:54 PM
How would you fit a 500cid in a beetle. Do you just rip out the back seat???

Dead Sled
02-13-03, 10:42 PM
http://500cid.com/mts/Rides/joe/stepone.html

there it is.

fell free to break this off into a seperate discussion

away from the ricer bashing in this thread

elwesso
02-13-03, 10:50 PM
I have a feeling that it would go nowhere, but ill spilt it if we fell the need to keep going on VW with caddy 500s

Dead Sled
02-13-03, 10:52 PM
ok coo,l I just didn't want it to get burried 5 pages down in some other subject

elwesso
02-13-03, 10:59 PM
right, the only reason i didnt split it is because there would prolly be 3 posts about it and then we'd get sick of it.

Dead Sled
02-13-03, 11:02 PM
some one might find it interesting if you stick it in the general caddilac area. I might inspire some one to take on a wild project like that

jeff___H
02-14-03, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Katshot
A turbo from a GTA? Pontiac?
You actually have a '64 pan that's not half eaten up with rust?
Who built the motor?
Ok, so I have an inquiring mind ;)

Long story short(er): Yes, a turbo from a Pontiac. A friend did a complete swap into an '89 GTA, and now is putting a bigger turbo on; I'm hoping to score the old one (I'm 2nd in line..) I may just end up with a junkyard turbo. Plumbing on a buggy is fairly easy - lots of space to work with!

The pan is not rust-free, but is VERY solid. It has been garage-kept for many years. I have had the car for 6 or 7 years. I purchased it at a swap meet for $500. with no engine. The guy had let some kids practice painting on it - i spent a LOT of time stripping single-stage yellow enamel from it. The paint was so thick in spots that it still had not cured over a year later!

The first 1914 motor that was in it was built by me. The machinework on the crank & case were done by Volks-Tech, over in Burlington NJ. I ran it in a street-driven '70 Beetle for a while.Unfortunately, that case is history, as the engine oil reacted with the magnesium of the case (it may have been tampered with) and the case is destroyed. It will not hold oil. SO, I picked up a new bottom end from a guy out in Western PA. Stock stroke, counterweighted crank, new rods, case savers, Engle cam, lightened flywheel, high-volume oil pump with external filter, balanced rotating assembly, etc. I will be putting my top end on to this case - 94mm Cima pistons & barrels, massaged 041 heads and dual Dellortos.

This project has been collecting dust for quite a while!

jeff___H
02-14-03, 12:15 PM
That Eldo/Beetle RAWKS!! I'd LOVE to have something like that. BUT - i have too many projects.. :cool:

elwesso
02-14-03, 05:51 PM
Wow, i didnt think that this would even be considerable. Whats next, putting a big block in a honda CRX? If that happened, i would feel sorry for the engine, as it has more dignity than the car.

jeff___H
02-14-03, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by elwesso
.... Whats next, putting a big block in a honda CRX? ....

funny you should mention that!

http://hometown.aol.com/honda4forever/images/honda%20383%20crx%20tractor-pull.jpg

This picture has been floating around the internet for a few years!

Katshot
02-15-03, 10:20 AM
Jeff,
Is Don still in business? Damn, he did a lot of my work years ago. Matter of fact, he did the floor pan in my '67 convertible. Small world man ;)
As for the engine, the big pain for me was always getting a clutch that would work right with all the power. Plus, holding the trans/engine in place properly was always a chore. Tight enough to eliminate chatter, free enough to keep from breaking shit, etc, etc.
The 500 engine in the beetle brings back a lot of memories but to be honest, I think that guy did a better job than we did. We just built ours in my buddy's barn and did very little street runs. mostly ran it in the field and down the lane. The few street runs we made usually resulted in broken components.

kcnewell
02-15-03, 12:39 PM
Broken components! Why, I've never broken anything in my life! Everything I do is perfect! What's the matter with YOU PEOPLE?

Yeah Right! LOL!:D

jeff___H
02-15-03, 04:04 PM
Yep - Don is still there! His business has morphed a few times, but it seems like he is happiest just working on the old air-cooled stuff. The bottom-end he did for me was going back a few years now.. A clutch will be a little easier in the buggy since the vehicle weight is much less than a steel-bodied car.

Katshot
02-15-03, 08:49 PM
Going back a few years? I'll tell you about going back a few years.
I met Don back in the late 70's. GOD that makes me feel old ;)
I'll try to dig up some old pictures and post them. I'm telling you now, if it had to do with VW's , I did it. I used to LOVE them things.

kcnewell
02-15-03, 08:58 PM
Hey, I still miss my old V8 Vega! That was a fun car!

jeff___H
02-18-03, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Katshot
Going back a few years? I'll tell you about going back a few years.
I met Don back in the late 70's. GOD that makes me feel old ;)
I'll try to dig up some old pictures and post them. I'm telling you now, if it had to do with VW's , I did it. I used to LOVE them things.

I love the old air-cooled V-dubs. I haven't had one as a daily driver in a few years now - but I have had 36 different ones. mostly Beetles, with a few Super Beetles, 3 Karmann Ghias and a '69 Squareback. My last Beetle project was a '56.

I dealt with Bill over at Auto Venture before I knew about Don. When Bill got out of the business, I spent a lot of time - and money - at Don's place..

Dead Sled
02-18-03, 12:08 AM
Id love to have a sand rail type buggy for runnin up and down the gravel roads around here

Katshot
02-18-03, 09:40 PM
MY GOD!!!!
I can't believe it. You knew Bill too?
I spent SO MUCH money with that guy. He's the one that turned me onto Don too. I can't believe it, we MUST have seen each other a few times since back then there weren't a lot of bugs around.
What did you drive at the time? I had a bright red '66 lowered (Cal-look), and a totally restored red '67 convertible (Don finished it when he did the floor pan.

jeff___H
02-19-03, 01:26 PM
The only one I had that you may have seen - and remembered - was a custom-painted Cal style '70. White front, yellow rear, with wide red and orange stripes that wrapped over the roof and came to a point at the base of the front fenders. Rivera wheels with the centers painted white. Drop spindles w/ Type3 disc brakes. I should scan a few pics I have of it.. That's the car my 1914cc motor was originally in. I stopped driving it when my ex-wife split and it deteriorated pretty badly. I sold the shell to a guy down in south Jersey who was planning to make a drag car from it. Most of my other Beetles were pretty non-descript. :cool:

I got my '56 from the Bug Lady over in Hunterdon County NJ.. She has a few garages in Trenton stuffed to the rafters with Beetles and parts. It was a major project that I never completed. I got myself so involved and burned out with a friends' '74 Super Beetle project that I dumped the '56 and the Squareback.

I really want to get the Buggy together and tag it this year. Or at LEAST get it together enought to run it at Atco.. :D

Badass94Cad
02-20-03, 05:35 PM
God, it's pretty funny that all these Caddy freaks are into VWs as well...I never would have suspected! I'm a huge VW fan. I've played around with a few of my friends' rides, but I have always wanted one of my own. In fact, I've tried to buy several, but due to unfortunate circumstances each time (like storage, etc.) I had to bail on the deals. I still have several "ultimate Beetle" plans in my head that I'm determined to build someday!!! In fact, I've been trying to score this beautiful '68 for like 2 years....

:-(

Cheers,
Jeff
*Always made fun of because I like Beetles, but now I've found a home...on the Caddy Forum(???)

Katshot
02-20-03, 11:08 PM
Strange huh?
But somehow I doubt that after all this time, you could do anything that hasn't already been done to a Beetle.

Badass94Cad
02-21-03, 03:45 PM
I hear ya. I know it's all been done, but I still have a few sweet ideas up my sleeve...I like to take influence from all around and tastefully combine. It won't necessarily be the fastest, or lowest, or whatever, just plain COOL! :-) Gotta stand out from the pack a bit!

I keep promising myself that when the FW's done, I'll start on a VW...I've been saying that since like 3 cars ago!

Cheers,
Jeff

Katshot
02-22-03, 12:29 PM
I'm with you on that. At least the VW should be quite a bit cheaper to play with.

Badass94Cad
02-28-03, 04:47 PM
You're right there, Kevin! This isn't necessarily part of "my" plan, but I was just thinking...you said you've done just about everything to a VW...Have you ever tried putting the drivetrain from an MR2 in one? I'm sure it's been done, but that could be fun!:D But I don't know if you're interested in playing with the "rice..."

Cheers,
Jeff

jeff___H
03-04-03, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Badass94Cad
...done just about everything to a VW...Have you ever tried putting the drivetrain from an MR2 in one? ...
Cheers,
Jeff

Never seen an MR2 setup in a Beetle. BUT - there are adapters out there to let you mount a Mazda Rotary up to a Beetle transaxle! :cool: