: has any body tried after market shocks springs for wheel hop problem

nickmonte
05-19-05, 09:37 PM
has any body tried urethane bushings and something like bilstien shocks or edlebrook shocks to help with wheel hop. I talked to a guy who said wheel hop ment he had to spin the tires faster. this was on a older 442 or something like that. :cookoo:

Dreamin
05-20-05, 03:19 AM
What bilstien shocks or edlebrook shocks

Got a part number??

ctsvett
05-20-05, 03:48 AM
I think alot of guys here can atest... Shocks alone will not fix the wheel hop... Its more about locking up the cradle to keep it from moving around.

Reed

trukk
05-20-05, 01:05 PM
4 coffee mug sized ruber bushings connect the craddle assembly to the unibody. The diff and suspension bits connect to the craddle.

A lot of our main 'problems' stem from the judicial use of rubber isolators in this car.

Parade Clunk (huge rubber bushing between the drive shaft connections)
Shifter (rubber busings galore)
Wheel Hop (covered above)

-Chris

CTSV05
05-20-05, 01:13 PM
The only replacement shocks are about $2300.00.

They are self leveling.

trukk
05-20-05, 01:38 PM
Mallet uses non-adjustable or two-way adjustable Penske shocks in their 'slammed' application. They also over coil-overs as an option.

What they don't say though, is if (or how much) they had to modify the stock mount points. They also don't indicate which part numbers they use.

Perhaps CTSVadar can chime in, I think he has a Mallet lowered V.

-Chris

lawfive
05-20-05, 02:51 PM
OK, my experience here is limited and was gained in the 70's (shut up!), but here's my two cents: springs will only help if the problem is caused by minor variations in the road surface. If the source of the problem is the drivetrain & suspension itself, then I can't imagine how stiff you'd have to make the springs in order to compensate (or how bad the ride would be at cruise).

Shocks are there to cushion the spring oscillation, but they can't overcome it, so wouldn't stiffer shocks simply tend to make any hop feel more pronounced? You guys who had hop and who've added FG2 or some stiffer aftermarket shock: is the hop still there, and can you feel it more or less?

Dreamin
05-20-05, 02:53 PM
Mallett's non-adjustable and adjustable shocks are not load-leveling and use stock mount points.

Mallett's coil-over option requires using their front spindles.

They do lower the car with the stock shocks... in that case they change the mount points around. That's their proprietary deal... they dont tell you how they do it... and they only do that as part of their $16K "mallett-v" deal.