: LT-1 power/buyer check list

carguy16
05-19-05, 08:59 AM
Some advice:

1.) First, make sure all the power windows work, after I bought mine, a week later I bought some leather seat conditioner, rolled down the windows only to have the right rear window fall out of track.

2.) Brakes, good to have them inspected, the front brakes on my car were supposedly fine according to inspection, but the rear brakes were already worn, now they are still worn, but can still be used, not 100 percent effective.

3.) Hosing - I had to replace my steel power steering lines, high pressure and return lines to be exact, they were old and corroded from being up north, they finally decided to leak, $300.00 including parts and labor to replace.

4.) Brake lines - They are on the bottom of the vehicle, get a lot of contact! I was told mine were rotted out, but I was told they were also fine by another mechanic, so I will keep them. :p

5.) Tune up - Look into the tune up on the engine, if its not tuned up, its not going to run at peak performance, and MPG may suffer. Chevy dealer quotes around $1,000.00 for tune up, includes new cap and rotor, ignition coils, spark plugs and wires, new water pump, new seals, new oxygen sensors, and thats it if I remember. For the DIY's, you may need a special tool to remove the distributer componentry?

6.) Transmission - They like to go when you dont want them to, mine was rebuilt, but I had a pump in it go and it was thank fully replaced under warranty.

7.) Hoses - Lots of hoses, make sure they arent on the verge of bursting, all of mine were replaced before I bought the car.

8.) Exhaust/inspection/emmissions - Make sure your exhaust isnt rotton, mine has rust holes in a couple spots, dont know if this would pass inspection or not. We dont have emmission checks in Florida, if you have them where you live, ask if the emmissions are current.

Heated seats probably wont work, but this is the only advice I have for you. Of course, when you test drive it, dont be afraid to put the hammer down, make sure it shifts right, make sure it sounds right, you may have to disable traction control, because on mine if you chirp the tires it will kick on, and some times shift into a higher gear to prevent you from spinning the tires again(button in glove box, pushed back next to trunk release).

Gas mileage, using 87 octane, the best I get is 14 MPG, the worst is 13 MPG, on the highway just cruising, and not driving the hell out of it at 70 MPH, I achieved 22 MPG, with the A/C running most of the time.

As far as LT-1 reliability, mine run's great! In the past 6 months, I have added a quart of oil, because I have a small leak around the front seal, and I had some oil leak out the fill cap. When you get it, I recomend you change the oil using a Synthetic oil, I preper Valvoline. Im going to get Valvoline 5W30 Full synthetic, its $5.00 a quart, but your oil change intervals last alot longer too, and you do get better gas mileage, change your air filter too, start fresh. If possible flush the rest of the fluids too.

I have heard 1-2 people lose a rod, and thats it.

Do you have any pictures, or links to the car? Is it is a Brougham? Details welcome.

carguy16
05-19-05, 09:28 AM
(For pimpin88)Check out ebay, look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6149&item=4551246860&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6149&item=4550145151&rd=1

The '95 looks great, has the gold package, CD, etc...But, they should be inspected, anything can look good cosmetically, or take the chance and have it shipped to you, its not that much money...

pimpin88
05-19-05, 10:57 AM
well, its not a brougham although i would like one. its a 94 roadmaster.
- all windows work
- i have not looked at the brakes yet, but they feel funny when you push on them hard
- hosing looks good
- did not look at the brake lines
- performance is very good. this guy did a few mods to it
- the transmission was rebuilt at a place called solon racing transmissions and a shift kit was added
- exhaust is stainless steel, and sounds very good, it has a nice strong rumble. i didnt ask about emissions.

the guy put on a k and n air filter kit. has leather seats.
when you drop the hammer on your brougham, when does it shift into second gear. this roadmaster didnt shift into second gear until 50 or so mph.

also, the guy said he gets 17-18mpg city. 24 highway which is what my friend gets and he has the same car.

as soon as i get my camera working, i'll try and post some pics of the car

N0DIH
05-19-05, 01:19 PM
I have a factory V4P car (the 7000# tow package, factory engine oil and transmission oil coolers, 3.42 gears).

I get 18.5 city/highway, punching when I can.... :) 23ish highway.

So you should always get better mileage than I do with the lowly 2.56's (non Brogham) or 2.93 gears (Brougham). V4P options get 3.42's from 94-96, they get 3.73's in 93, not sure what other years. The 2.56 geared cars were rated 16/25 mpg. I would expect near that from what I heard from other drivers. If not, find out what is wrong.

As Katshot has said, be cautious on Livery option cars, I think it is R1P (Rest in Peace???) option. They are routinely run much harder. Black and white colors I would expect as most common with R1P. I have one near me that was going for $2500. Look here to see it. <http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/819465/4> I don't know if it sold or not, it was getting moved around to avoid the expired plates from getting noticed by the cops. Not bad shape, but not new. Take a look and see. This one IS a R1P with 2.93's. Has Flowmaster mufflers and some minor muffler exhaust leaks.

Always decode before you buy!

<http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/resources-cad.html&e=9707>

carguy16
05-19-05, 01:41 PM
Link is broken.

By the way, mine also shifts around 50 MPH under wide open throttle. If the brakes feel funny, ask questions, get them looked at. Although, I have had it shift around 38-42, it all depends.

I have a factory V4P car (the 7000# tow package, factory engine oil and transmission oil coolers, 3.42 gears).

I get 18.5 city/highway, punching when I can.... :) 23ish highway.

So you should always get better mileage than I do with the lowly 2.56's (non Brogham) or 2.93 gears (Brougham). V4P options get 3.42's from 94-96, they get 3.73's in 93, not sure what other years. The 2.56 geared cars were rated 16/25 mpg. I would expect near that from what I heard from other drivers. If not, find out what is wrong.

As Katshot has said, be cautious on Livery option cars, I think it is R1P (Rest in Peace???) option. They are routinely run much harder. Black and white colors I would expect as most common with R1P. I have one near me that was going for $2500. Look here to see it. <http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/819465/4> I don't know if it sold or not, it was getting moved around to avoid the expired plates from getting noticed by the cops. Not bad shape, but not new. Take a look and see. This one IS a R1P with 2.93's. Has Flowmaster mufflers and some minor muffler exhaust leaks.

Always decode before you buy!

<http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/resources-cad.html&e=9707>

N0DIH
05-20-05, 01:16 AM
Take off the part after the .html.

Then click on the RPO link.

pimpin88
05-20-05, 07:52 AM
this guy supposedly had the brakes redone before i went to test drive it. they made a lot of rubbing noise when you push on them, and sometimes when you push on them harder than normal, there is a slight, very fast pulsating feeling in the brakes for a few seconds, and you dont slow down as fast as you should.

no idea what that could be unless it is air in the lines from when he redid them?

N0DIH
05-20-05, 07:05 PM
Has it been sitting for a long time? Rusty rotors?

They should clean up fairly quickly though. Maybe a few firm stops, but if it is pulling, be very careful. They can dump you off the road if you are not careful (pulling hard).

pimpin88
05-21-05, 01:03 PM
going to look at the car again today, and i'll check some more of the things that were mentioned. thanks for the help guys

AElayyat
05-21-05, 02:08 PM
Run the on-board diagnostics -> hold "OFF" and "WARMER" at the same time.

brougham
05-21-05, 05:42 PM
A lot of this stuff is the kind of thing you should check when you buy any car. In one of the other areas elwesso made a post about the kind of things to look for too.

pimpin88
05-23-05, 07:39 AM
brakes were completely redone at a shop, rotors, calipers, etc. and all of the brake lines were replaced.

what am i going to look for when i run the on-board diagnostics