: 96 SLS Electrical Problems?

bcs296
05-18-05, 09:15 PM
96 SLS with 82k miles. Plugs/wires done around 60k miles, fuel rail recall done a few thousand miles later.

Problem 1: When it's first started, it idles rough and it studders when I give it some gas, even just accelerating at a normal pace. Once it is warmed up, it idles fine and doesn't studder. Runs fine for the most part.

Problem 2: The car has developed a stall. It will completely stall out at random, although it usually occurs while slowing down or stopped. For instance, it has occurred: shifting into Drive from Reverse, slowing to a stop at a stop light, pulling up to a toll both, and pulling into my driveway. On a side note, any sort of load seems to kill the electrical system and I have a feeling it is related to the stalling. Simply hitting the brakes or shifting in/out of gear will cause all lights to dim significantly. While sitting in Park at night with the lights on, hitting the brakes will make the engine bog.

Any suggestions?

zonie77
05-19-05, 02:04 AM
What voltage are you showing while it's running? Do you hgave to charge the battery?

It sounds like a weak alternator ( a diode blown in rectifier so you aren't getting full output) but it could be a bad connection. Check the alternator first.

bcs296
05-19-05, 06:46 PM
What voltage are you showing while it's running? Do you hgave to charge the battery?

It sounds like a weak alternator ( a diode blown in rectifier so you aren't getting full output) but it could be a bad connection. Check the alternator first.

Haven't had to charge the battery since the problem started happening, although last summer the car was driven to a store, I went inside, came back out and it wouldn't start. AAA came, hooked up a booster, and it started right up. That hasn't happened again since then, but I suppose it could be related.

The voltage is slightly different each time the car is run, but it is always ~13.0 or above. As mentioned before, turning the headlights on or applying the brakes at idle will bog the engine and cause a pretty sharp but momentary drop in voltage.

zonie77
05-19-05, 08:22 PM
Turn on the lights and AC and see what voltage you get.

A bad connection might cause this problem.

If you are driving in the day and don't use the AC a weak alternator might keep the battery charged. If the battery is charged you shouldn't have the problem when you hit the brakes etc.

Is it idling too low? If the ISC isn't working it might be idling on the mechanical stop and be lower than normal.

Ranger
05-19-05, 08:51 PM
Check your cables for corrsion. Look closely to be sure corrosion hasn't crept back under the isulation.

bcs296
05-19-05, 09:13 PM
Car is idling fine AFAIK. Will inspect for loose connections/corrosion and check back.

zonie77
05-20-05, 03:37 AM
Idling fine at the right speed?

bcs296
05-20-05, 04:35 PM
Sits around 650-700rpm when warmed up.