: Does anyone else think Nissan is being a prissy b**** about the Audi Q7?

Playdrv4me
05-18-05, 07:39 PM
Have you guys heard about this? Its been going on for a while. Infiniti USA is SUING Audi because they say that the "Q7" Moniker INFRINGES on their copyright of the "QX56 and QX4" designations and that it will cause "confusion" for consumers (I for one wouldnt confuse Infiniti's abomination with the Q7 thats for sure). I was sitting here thinking about this as I watched that the commercial for their new M45 thing... and I thought to myself...

They refer to this M45 as "The all new M", THEY DIDNT HAVE "M" first! BMW Did! So BMW should turn around and sue the pants off Nissan's ass for infringing on THEIR copyright!!

Sorry for the rant, but I just think Nissan is a tad out of line here and its over something absolutely absurd. I think they just have their panties in a wad because as you may know www.nissan.com belongs to a guy who runs a computer shop and has had the website for ages, and the company even longer. Nissan sued him for rights to the name as well.

Brett
05-18-05, 07:43 PM
its odd to me they would take it that far. There are 2 LS's, nobody whines about it.

powerglide
05-18-05, 08:08 PM
Yeah....I think theyve got no case here....it'll be interesting to see what happens.

D148L0
05-18-05, 09:48 PM
Free publicity for both companies.

Jesda
05-19-05, 02:54 AM
I wondered what the hell took Nissan so long. The Q45 was always marketed as "The Q", making it Nissan's brand territory. For Infiniti, Q is a primary brand designation. For BMW, M is a secondary designation suggesting an enhanced version of a primary product (actually, VARIOUS primary products), not a separate product in and of itself.

If Audi were to call its new SUV a 7Q or a ZQ7 or a QR8 it might be different. But Q followed by digits alone is enough for Nissan to make a case. Legal precedent says so. The guy who owns Nissan.com might have a valid gripe if he bothered to use the site to actually sell computer products.

Randy_W
05-19-05, 07:27 AM
I think Nissan will lose, period. What a limp assed attempt at cornering the alphabet! I remeber back in the '1980's and '90's when BMW sued Pontiac over the split/kidney grill treatment. The judge basically told them to grow up and get over it.:rolleyes:

HotRodSaint
05-19-05, 10:29 AM
Sounds like Jeep suing Hummer over the slatted grill.

You have to try and protect your brand, I would.

And when lawyers are involved, nothing is free. So while it might earn them extra publicity, it is costing them money.

Andrew60SP
05-19-05, 06:27 PM
its odd to me they would take it that far. There are 2 LS's, nobody whines about it.

Actually, the Lincoln LS' were originally to be called LS6 and LS8 but Toyota complained. But then again, it might have been in retaliation to Ford suing over the Toyota T150, later called the Tundra. :bighead: