: Little Tuesday Night Rant

90Brougham350
05-17-05, 09:56 PM
Forgive me if I sound like I'm trying to be high and mighty, but I finally had enough tonight and you fine people listen to me once in a while. I hate people with bad manners. I really do. I went to dinner tonight, where I was absolutely appalled by the way people of all ages were acting in public. How can anyone go into a sitdown restaurant and wear a hat, while at the table? How can any man sit his ass down on a chair, before he helps a woman into hers? How can customers not say thank-you when the waitress or waiter brings food or a refill? I saw several individuals tonight who made me particularly mad.

The first was a man of about 40 years old. We went to a decent restaurant tonight, where entrees are between 12 and 20 dollars I'd say, excluding steaks and lobster. He did not help his wife with her chair, and paid no attention to her when she was talking! Of course he was wearing an ugly baseball hat the whole time. He inhaled his caeser salad instead of chewing it, I could see the dressing all around his mouth. He didn't wipe his mouth off once, even before taking a drink. Now I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's mentally challenged, because any man that treats a woman or the people around him like that must be.

The second individual I saw was a kid, probably 17 or 18. The family of 5 walked in, and he was the first to seat himself. Didn't help his mother or sister with their chairs. Kept the baseball hat on the whole time. Didn't say please when ordering, didn't say thank-you when recieving.

These were just the 2 tables around me where I could easily observe the way people were behaving. Have I just lost my mind, or do women just expect to be treated like dirt these days? Where are America's manners? Never once have I failed to help my lady with her jacket, chair, car door, you name it, she deserves to be treated like that, and I do everything I can to prove it. My mother was right. If you don't treat a woman like a princess, you don't deserve to be with her, and she certainly shouldn't ever put up with it. I'm pissed. America, get some damn manners. Women, get some balls and tell the men who are treating you like shit to knock it off or screw off.

Brian

Ralph
05-17-05, 10:14 PM
That sounds like a Sociological study of human interaction. There are less and less gentlemen these days I suppose, or people are not taught to be courteous from a young age anymore?

Stoneage_Caddy
05-17-05, 10:19 PM
women like being treated like shit dude ....so dont expect that man pulling the chair out for a woman shit to happen , if it does i assure you the dude is being used for his cash flow .....

if women liked manners and chivary and all that bullshit guys like me wouldnt be cynical and alone ...

as for america manners , weve spent too much time pumping usless math and other bullshit into kids and forgot to teach them manners , its the me first generation dude ....

that genration's lack of "please and thank yous" and busting out a can of pepper spray for stupid things like when you open a door for a woman (it really happend to me)was the critical element of me saying "**** you" to the world ....

I could care less about the world and joined the race of those that wondered "why" america came to this ....
thats not to say i dont use some kindness , i never raise my voice to someone who is working like the waitress or waiter when my order gets ****ed up , there just doing there job , but if i get a atitiude fromt he manager (customer is alwasy right) i will raise holy hell ....but the me first generation will yell at someone who earns 5 bucks and hour thats trying to do there job but is constained by some ***** manager's incompeditince ...they dont understand it , they think there the most important ****ing person in the world ....

more importantly to me ...where did the courtesy on the roads go too ? that went away whent hey started giving away drivers liscenses in cracker jack boxes

illumina
05-17-05, 10:27 PM
Hell Stoney, I feel you on this. Remember my thread some time ago when I tried to tell some girl in the car next to me that her headlights were off (it was dark out)? She gave me the ****ing snotty-snub from Hell as though I was making a pass at her...

But hey, I'm not bitter or anything (yeah riiiight...Al Bundy is a role model of mine :D )...

But the main issue here is America the arrogant. The point being that there is no room in todays fast paced take-all for myself society for good manners and respect.

Kev
05-17-05, 10:32 PM
Good rant Brian.

Welcome to the new "It's All About Me" society.

I'd tell you how we got here and the only way it will change but unfortunately, it's against the rules of this forum so it can't be done here.

Ralph
05-17-05, 10:32 PM
But the main issue here is America the arrogant.

You guys are so down on America, LOL. It's NOT just an American issue. The girl I was engaged to, well her brother would hold a door open for a hot girl, but then slam it on his own mother! I saw this happen while we all went out once! It's also about priorities I guess.

I've noticed it driving as well.

Elvis
05-17-05, 10:40 PM
I'm noticing the hat thing. About the only place that's acceptable, IMO, is in the clubhouse after a round of golf. Your hair would look like crap anyway, might as well leave the cap on and spare your eating partners.

I'm to the point where I'll turn around and walk out of a restaurant if I see hats. Otherwise I would be tempted to walk through the place removing every hat I see. I'd probably get my ass whooped.

Kev
05-17-05, 10:43 PM
You guys are so down on America, LOL. It's NOT just an American issue. The girl I was engaged to, well her brother would hold a door open for a hot girl, but then slam it on his own mother! I saw this happen while we all went out once! It's also about priorities I guess.

I've noticed it driving as well.Hey Ralph, don't get me wrong brotha, I think America is the best thing going on this spinning ball we call Earth.
It's still second to none in my book. There are a few close seconds but there are just that, few.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that things aren't going to get much better in the near future, in fact, they are likely to get worse.

Ralph
05-17-05, 10:47 PM
Hey Ralph, don't get me wrong brotha, I think America is the best thing going on this spinning ball we call Earth.
It's still second to none in my book. There are a few close seconds but there are just that, few.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that things aren't going to get much better in the near future, in fact, they are likely to get worse.

In Sociology classes we talked about possible causes for this sort of thing. Theories included the family unit break-up, latch-key kids, women in the work force and therefore the lack of a parental role model at home etc. I think it mostly comes down to what the parents teach kids and then they either grow up with manners or not. I don't believe it's up to school teachers to teach common sense and logic.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-17-05, 10:48 PM
Let me clear some things up now that i clamed down

to be honest i hardly wear a hat .....i wear one to school and i wear it in-doors with my sunglasses on at all times as lately im not comforatble with the people im around there...outside that i dont wear a hat and wear my sunglases only outside ...

when i go out to resturants , i wear shirt and tie ....nice resturants are a event in my book , its a occasion that you have a chance to dress up a bit and look professional ....not some peice of trash that got his paycheck from the trailer park and doesnt have nice clothes ....WAIT people in trailer parks anymore dress beatter than those that make 7 figures yearly

guys we will all agree on this subject, rember we drive cadillacs , part of our demgraphics and why we are attracted to these cars is our values ..notice the *******s all drive the "disposeable automobiles"

DopeStar 156
05-17-05, 10:54 PM
But what about the guy in the restraunt looking around the restraunt at everyone else? *Gasp* I didn't say that.... :hide:

You're right though, it's a different world out there.

Ralph
05-17-05, 10:58 PM
I know! People just need to watch more 1950's movies when people were courteous, then they can be brainwashed back. ;)

Adam
05-18-05, 12:28 AM
90Brougham let me tell you something, i work in a hospital and do you know how many fights i have to break up? how many people get into fights over the littlest stupidist things. emotions run high in a hospital and if you want to see people really showing their ass, go to one. if what you seen tonight or whenever offended you, go to a hospital, you'll leave there crying. our office is full of pictures of people who arent allowed on the property and restraining orders. the other night a family got in a fights cause their sons were riding in the same car and the driver wrecked. fighting! in an ER cussing and yelling and other patients are complaining. what you seen tonight is nothing! but i see your point. i have to put up with things 10 times worse everyday.

Ralph
05-18-05, 12:31 AM
90Brougham let me tell you something, i work in a hospital and do you know how many fights i have to break up? how many people get into fights over the littlest stupidist things. emotions run high in a hospital and if you want to see people really showing their ass, go to one. if what you seen tonight or whenever offended you, go to a hospital, you'll leave there crying. our office is full of pictures of people who arent allowed on the property and restraining orders. the other night a family got in a fights cause their sons were riding in the same car and the driver wrecked. fighting! in an ER cussing and yelling and other patients are complaining. what you seen tonight is nothing! but i see your point. i have to put up with things 10 times worse everyday.

I've NEVER seen a fight in a hospital! :suspense:

Adam
05-18-05, 12:37 AM
come down here. we almost had one tonight. i get a call from EMS communications saying "Security we need you over here stat, family disturbance room 7." so i go to room seven and sure enough i can here the people fighting and yelling. me and some fellow officers go in the room and this guy yells "F*** You get out!" and swingings on me. i grabbed his arm took him to the floor and cuffed him. next thing i know here comes his brother and my boss grabs him and cuffs him. the family is yelling, blah blah blah. it is hell at my hospital. all we do is sit with suicidal people in the ER. emotions run high in hospitals and things just crack all the time. wish it were different.

Ralph
05-18-05, 12:42 AM
come down here. we almost had one tonight. i get a call from EMS communications saying "Security we need you over here stat, family disturbance room 7." so i go to room seven and sure enough i can here the people fighting and yelling. me and some fellow officers go in the room and this guy yells "F*** You get out!" and swingings on me. i grabbed his arm took him to the floor and cuffed him. next thing i know here comes his brother and my boss grabs him and cuffs him. the family is yelling, blah blah blah. it is hell at my hospital. all we do is sit with suicidal people in the ER. emotions run high in hospitals and things just crack all the time. wish it were different.

Damn son, they should do a show on you guys like "Cops" but call it "Hospital Security, We Kick Butt!"

Xrayqueen
05-18-05, 12:53 AM
Well I still like a man to pull my chair out and treat me kind. I feel the Women's Liberation just screwed things up. I personally wouldn't have minded staying at home and having a cold beer waiting for Hubby (If I had one :)) at the end of the day. but due to the good ole Women's Liberation's thing it's off to the hospital I must go to practice everyday :helpless:
Peace :devil:

TomDeville
05-18-05, 12:59 AM
As you could imagine, I consistently
adhere to proper decorum and good form,
on any and all occasions. Proper etiquette
and manners should constitute the
overarching and dominant manner
in which individuals conduct
themselves, in our civilized, free and
democratic societies.

Unfortunately, disrespectful losers pervade
our civilization, and we are (de)evolving in
this particular misfortunate direction.

Consequently, deplorable instances of poor
manners including, but, not limited to hat wearing
in restaurants; and the like, such as being a dick
in public are commonplace.
'Class' is colorblind, and and there is a huge
distinction between 'low' class and 'no' class.
Some of the classiest people I know are 'low'
class socioeconomically ;but, could give lessons
in manners to most.
People are generally ignorant and self absorbed,
it is a sad state indeed, whether you are in a
restaurant, hospital or mall.

Best Regards,

TomDeville :coolgleam
:coolgleam

DopeStar 156
05-18-05, 01:21 AM
Haha, somebody get this guy a book deal.

Kev
05-18-05, 10:07 AM
The problem we are describing is "Heart Disease".
It's best coined this way, "What's in you heart comes out your mouth."
Cleanse the soul and you cleanse society.

edit: (please excuse my poor and sloppy spelling habtis :bonkers: :banghead2 :p)

Elvis
05-18-05, 10:54 AM
...Desiase...

Is that anything like Desi Arnaz? :histeric:

Boombotz
05-18-05, 12:51 PM
How many times do you hold a door open for someone nowadays and get a thank you? If you pay attention to it you would be amazed. People have no ethics anymore. To busy and always into themselves to even realize whats around them.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-18-05, 01:00 PM
its those ****in cellphones ....

sorry ....thats my complaint today .....stupid cell phones ....people got to be on those things 24/7 ....

im not so sure that people really know that they are ineracting with a real world ....i really think everyone is in "movie mode" where they think life is scprited and everything is supposed to go in some order ...people are too busy trying to look busy and important to realize that i might be a little too pissed off to put up with there shit ....then they look surpirsed when i scream at them "get off that ****ing phone and pay attetion!!!"

and im not talking about driving ont he phone , thats worse than drinking and driving in my book

side note i have a cellphone , last months useage: 7 min 47 seconds..all my business is taken care of 70% email and 25% land line phone , only time the cellphone gets used is in a emergency change of plans

Boombotz
05-18-05, 01:08 PM
I don't disagree at all. During the day I have myself glued to it for work. No choice. Though on a regular day I don't carry it or charge it most of the time. I have had so many people say whats the use of having one. I say in case I need it not just so you can get in touch for your convienence. Sometimes I just don't want to be bothered. Though as far as someone saying thank you for holding open the door it would almost make it better if they could use the cell phone excuse. They can't it just plain outright rudeness.:madtalkin

Stoneage_Caddy
05-18-05, 01:35 PM
would you mind explaing why it is you use it for work ? thats the part that maybe i dont understand engough to appricate ....

when i worked at a place that required me to have it is was for "stand by" if a firetruck broke down so i could come and fix it from whereever i was . To me this was important to be able to be in touch withthe fire dept to ensure public safety ....

But i see folks negotateing appointments , cussing people out and other things that from my end of what i hear sounds like things that can wait untill one gets back tot he office ...perhaps the "office" doent exist anymore ?

i can see calling out to tell a client "traffic is backed up i will be 16 minutes late for our appointment"

id like to know why exactly so many business people use them ....but i get very angry when someone gives a someone the index finger held up for the "wait a second"...now the guy on the other end can hang on , phone boy can pay attation to the person whom he is physiscly infront of .....instaed people like me who are on a schedual have to wait while phone boy compltes his conversation so he can hang up and talk to the person he is about to physicly deal with ...i hate waiting on people like that ...

Stoneage_Caddy
05-18-05, 01:36 PM
i will admit and i bet alot of you will admit , there is one time you can count on a "thankyou" from someone when opening the door for them ....and thats a mother with a young child in the stroller , and those are the people i go out of my way for ...

Elvis
05-18-05, 01:39 PM
and im not talking about driving ont he phone , thats worse than drinking and driving in my book

Aw HELL yeah! I'm sick and tired of being scared to death of the soccer mom in the gargantuan SUV or minivan next to me, watching her swerve in and out of my lane. That's one of the reasons I want something BIG when I trade cars. It's just not safe out there.

I ALWAYS use the hands-free mode the few times I take calls while I'm driving. I also have a headset I can use, there's no reason anyone should be holding a phone to their ear anymore. But MOST of the time I just let the damn thing ring. It has caller i.d. and a message service. They can wait ten minutes for me to call them back. NOTHING is that important.

They should quit writing seatbelt tickets and start writing cellphone tickets.

Ordinarily I hate bumper stickers, but a "HANG UP AND DRIVE" sticker would be worth it.

Boombotz
05-18-05, 01:48 PM
would you mind explaing why it is you use it for work ? thats the part that maybe i dont understand engough to appricate ....

when i worked at a place that required me to have it is was for "stand by" if a firetruck broke down so i could come and fix it from whereever i was . To me this was important to be able to be in touch withthe fire dept to ensure public safety ....

But i see folks negotateing appointments , cussing people out and other things that from my end of what i hear sounds like things that can wait untill one gets back tot he office ...perhaps the "office" doent exist anymore ?

i can see calling out to tell a client "traffic is backed up i will be 16 minutes late for our appointment"

id like to know why exactly so many business people use them ....but i get very angry when someone gives a someone the index finger held up for the "wait a second"...now the guy on the other end can hang on , phone boy can pay attation to the person whom he is physiscly infront of .....instaed people like me who are on a schedual have to wait while phone boy compltes his conversation so he can hang up and talk to the person he is about to physicly deal with ...i hate waiting on people like that ...

I am a general manager that dosen't work in an office. My job is on the road and in the field. This is the only way I can communicate with office,builders, employee's ext.... When my employee's are on a job and have a question I better be able to assist them or job dosen't get finished and I don't get paid. When your in this type of position which a lot of electricians, pool builders, and builders are it is needed to communicate in order to get the jobs done. Calls come in on a daily basis and some are emergencies. Does this make it a little easier to understand.

Boombotz
05-18-05, 01:53 PM
I should also state if I am speaking with a customer or in a restraunt, store, ext... and talking with people I foward the call to voice mail by a push of a button and deal with it when I'm done talking. Just because it has to be used for my type of work is not a reason to be rude. Some of us know the difference. Then there is those that don't.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-18-05, 01:53 PM
a little , so nowadays they have done away with the office ...

construction is one of those deals , esp if you have multiple job sites on multipe deadlines...so yah i can see it ...

didnt mean to get you angry , but ususly folks wont take the time to explain why there on these things so much ....

Stoneage_Caddy
05-18-05, 01:55 PM
I should also state if I am speaking with a customer or in a restraunt, store, ext... and talking with people I foward the call to voice mail by a push of a button and deal with it when I'm done talking. Just because it has to be used for my type of work is not a reason to be rude. Some of us know the difference. Then there is those that don't.
well i thank you for doing that , there are alot of folks that use them to be rude ....

Boombotz
05-18-05, 02:02 PM
Not angry... Just giving the facts.:bouncy:

Ralph
05-18-05, 03:09 PM
How many times do you hold a door open for someone nowadays and get a thank you? If you pay attention to it you would be amazed. People have no ethics anymore. To busy and always into themselves to even realize whats around them.

You know what I do if I don't get a "thank you" in that situation? I say "your welcome" regardless and you should see the look on people's faces! Usually I get an "Oh, sorry, thanks" after that.

Now I have to figure out what to sat to people that you are walking behind into a store, etc. right behind them and they close the door on your face. Usually they see you right behind them and know that you are there but they close it on your face! No courtesy!

Kev
05-18-05, 03:13 PM
Now I have to figure out what to sat to people that you are walking behind into a store, etc. right behind them and they close the door on your face. Usually they see you right behind them and know that you are there but they close it on your face! No courtesy!"Thank you Sir/Ma'am, may I have another?"

Stoneage_Caddy
05-18-05, 03:15 PM
You know what I do if I don't get a "thank you" in that situation? I say "your welcome" regardless and you should see the look on people's faces! Usually I get an "Oh, sorry, thanks" after that.

Now I have to figure out what to sat to people that you are walking behind into a store, etc. right behind them and they close the door on your face. Usually they see you right behind them and know that you are there but they close it on your face! No courtesy!
do what i do , run smack into the door as hard as you can and scream "MOTHER ****ER" they sometimes "wake up" at that point

Ralph
05-18-05, 03:21 PM
do what i do , run smack into the door as hard as you can and scream "MOTHER ****ER" they sometimes "wake up" at that point

LOL!!! Knowing me I would break my glasses! :shocked:

Then they would laugh.

Kev
05-18-05, 03:23 PM
The entire problem would easily be solved with the universal adherence to one simple rule:
“Treat others the way you would want them to treat you.” :)

Ralph
05-18-05, 03:30 PM
The entire problem would easily be solved with the universal adherence to one simple rule:

Absolutely! But people don't care about others, in general it seems.

Boombotz
05-18-05, 03:33 PM
Yhea the problem is there dosn't seem to be any rules anymore.

Kev
05-18-05, 03:40 PM
It starts with you.

You have to make the decision to treat others the way you would want them to treat you regardless as to whether they reciprocate. Then you have to teach your children to do the same. It's kind of a 'trickle down' effect.

Boombotz
05-18-05, 05:06 PM
I agree 100%. I always try to be respectful. My daughter is not old enough to understand yet, but she knows please and thank you. I wish that everybody was that way, but for some reason other people don't raise there children with respect. So as much as we would like to change the world I think as long is there are people who disrespect themselves as well as others this will be an issue. What ever happened to the old days? Where a man would open the door for a woman. A child would never get away with talking back to an adult period. These days are gone. We can only do the best on our part to show by example whats right and wrong, but is that really enough?

Kev
05-18-05, 05:19 PM
All we can control is our own responses. Our next best hope is to positively influence those around us.

I'm afraid that's the best we can do.

Remember, these are the “Old Days” of tomorrow. Unless we make a difference today, tomorrow will be worse.

It’s all up to us, right here, right now.

;)

Boombotz
05-18-05, 06:08 PM
Well, I have to say your right and that was very well put.:thumbsup:

ben72227
05-18-05, 08:37 PM
Geez:bonkers: Thank Gawd I live in the midsouth. We may be rednecks that drive Dodges with HEMIS, but we do have manners. Every southern gentleman has manners for that matter.:)

TomDeville
05-19-05, 12:38 AM
Geez:bonkers: Thank Gawd I live in the midsouth. We may be rednecks that drive Dodges with HEMIS, but we do have manners. Every southern gentleman has manners for that matter.:)

'Gawd' bless you ;but, "gentleman"
would have to be the operative word;
notwithstanding, your meritorious
aforesaid purported and valid contention.

Respectfully yours,

TomDeville :coolgleam :coolgleam
:coolgleam