: cd player/ speaker question

terrible one
05-17-05, 08:14 PM
Hey guys, firstly, hello to everyone. I'm new to this forum and think I have come acorss an excellent find!

Now, down to it:

I own a 1976 Cadillac El Dorado convertable. I know this strays from teh "Cadillac" topic, but I was wondering how I would go about installing a CD player and new Sony Xplod speakers. I don't know much about speaker systems at all. Firstly, could I do the fabricating of the dash myself? I was thinking about taking out the stock cassette player/radio and then cutting the hole big enough to accomodate for the new in dash unit.

Also, I want this to be a nice sound system, but not too overwhelming. I'm not sure what size the stock front speakers are (hidden by the dash), but I am pretty positive it houses two 6x9's (both of which are shot) in the back. I don't want this system to be too bassious either.

I was thinking of some sort of Sony Xplod in dash CD player, and then something like a 10" (or smaller) woofer in teh back, along with two 6x9's and two others up front.

As said before, I know close to nothing, so I relaly am not sure of the difference between a tweeter, mid-range, etc. I want it to be a nice sounding system, all in all.

Thanks a lot guys, sorry for the tedious first post :suspense:

EcSTSatic
05-18-05, 09:34 AM
Crutchfield has a database that will give you exactly what will fit your '76 Eldo. Check this (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fkf5JCh86RC/cgi-bin/autoinfo/autoinfo.asp?id=&vehicleid=1509&vb=Y&TypeCH=home&lp=%2FS%2Dfkf5JCh86RC%2Fsitemap%2Findex%2Ehtml%3Fw m%3Dtn%26cm%5Fre%5Fo%3DTkB%5FzkEzM%2AfB5EzM%2Albfw Fz5%26id%3D0%26vehicleid%3D0) out. They are also very helpful with tips and ideas for a successful installation. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

terrible one
05-18-05, 10:50 AM
Ah, that is excellent! Thanks a lot. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Shouldn't be any hangups with this help from Crutchfield! :rolleyes:

terrible one
05-18-05, 01:18 PM
How about this setup?

Panasonic CQ-C5110U Reciever (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9L4NzkbDuqT/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=133C5110&s=0&cc=01)

Kenwood KFC-415C 4" x 10" speakers (for rear) (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9L4NzkbDuqT/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=113KFC415C&s=0&cc=01)

Pioneer TS-G1040R 4" circular speakers (for dash) (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9L4NzkbDuqT/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=130TSG1040&s=0&cc=01)

And all for under $300. Sound ideal?

ElDawgg 2G
05-18-05, 05:45 PM
Hello...
The problem lies with the odd-sized rear deck speaker, but they're probably your only option...so don't expect too much bass from the 4x10. I used these in a 1979 Buick Riviera...they were definitely better than the stock speakers, but left me wanting more. If you wanna do a custom install, check to see if 6x9 will mount from the bottom and also allow clearance for the trunk closing tension rods. Additional option is to boost the bass with one of the Bazooka tubes.
Post back what you decide.

terrible one
05-18-05, 08:49 PM
Hey there,

I wasn't expecting much bass from those small 4 x 10's, kind of a bummer. Once I get some more money, I was thinking about getting a mono amp and a 10" sub to put in somewhere. You think that would be any good?

Also, how about the quality of the speakers/reciever I have picked? Any good?

I know it will be a great improvement over the stocks, not only because they sound bad, but because only 1 of them still works :rolleyes:

terrible one
05-18-05, 09:01 PM
BTW,

Today I took out the old Delco unit (what a beast!). I know that I will have to do some cutting to accomodate for the new reciever (not a problem, I'm sure I can handle that).

What I wonder is this:

How hard is it to take out the old speakers and install the new? I would love to do this and save the money. Also, as I live in a small town, there is only one shop related to car-audio, and tehy aren't really the friendliest, so their attitude is pretty much buy from them and have them install it. I know I could save money easily by buying those speakers and reciever adn having htem install it, but since they won't do that, I was wondering if I could tackle the task of installing myself? To start, what would I have to take apart to get to everything? Also, would I need some kind of adapter to use the stock wires/connectors for the new unit or what? If anyone is familiar with this, three connectors with 4 or so wires plug into the back of the Delco unit, 2 of which I presume are speaker wires, and the other is probably power. If anyone needs some pics, I'll be glad to provide. If anyone could provide a walkthrough or a link, or even an opinion, it would be most helpful.

Thanks

terrible one
05-19-05, 11:23 AM
*bump*

terrible one
05-19-05, 11:39 PM
Well I know 4 posts in a row is a bit much, but I have an update.

Today was spend dismanteling the interior to get to my speakers and clean while I was at it. AFter removing the lower Dash, and, on one side, the Air condition control unit, I was able to access adn remove the two dash speakers. Next I came across a stroke of luck in finding that the back part of the back seat was removable, which gave full access to the rear speakers and their mini-amp. This means that I can install the whole system myself, which will save loads of cash. Hooray! sorry fo rbeing a bit of an annoyance on this one.

nervekiler
05-22-05, 01:54 PM
the 4x10s arent bad sized speakers. the ones we sell (pioneers for around $99 a pair) sound decent. aside from not being a 2way or anythign nice... and just paper cones, they put out as much mid bass as any 6x9 ive ever heard (i have alpine Type Rs in mine) just dont have the treble capabilities (which doesnt matter cause its on the rear deck).

anyways.. just wanted to clear up.. 4x10s are bad speaker sizes.. just a litle harder to find. BUT... aside from the treble, 4x10s are just as good as 6x9s in terms of sound.

thanks and good luck with your installation!