: Oil leak!

dicec2
05-17-05, 01:48 PM
The dealer says my 98 STS is leaking oil from the crank case. For a cool $1700 I can get it fixed. I guess they have to take out the transmission or something. Anyway, I see no oil on the ground, nor have I had any "low oil"s. Any advice on what to do? Is this a minor thing, or is it worth the $1700 I don't have kicking around the house for this?

mtflight
05-17-05, 04:11 PM
do a search on "oil seepage leak" and pay particular attention to bbobinsky's comments.

If you don't see oil on the ground, and you're not losing oil like crazy, then don't worry about it... older cars have some seepage which is expected with age and miles. Check your oil frequently. It may not even be the crank case--could just be an oil cooler line (my case) or the oil pan screws, or an oil filter adapter... or it may not even be oil at all.

Check all your fluids regularly.

Regards,

Alex

Pjs
05-18-05, 06:13 AM
I bought my 95 SLS with a known oil leak around the oil pan. Not knowing anything about N*'s, I fell for the salesman line of "It will only cost about $600 to fix". When I found out that it was a lot more involved I waited till it was dumping a couple qt's a week before pulling the engine to fix. It turned out to be oil pan/oil manifold seals were bad. At 137K, the 1/2 case seals were still not showing any signs of leaking.

budkidd@fuse.net
09-20-07, 11:31 PM
i am seeing oil bigtime, looks like its coming from back bottom of engine somewhere

AJxtcman
09-21-07, 07:28 AM
i am seeing oil bigtime, looks like its coming from back bottom of engine somewhere

Take a look at the pictures I posted in this thread. You can see some areas that might leak more than others. Right rear, behind the AC you will see
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/117108-engine-case-half-oil-leak-easy.html