: Hey GM watch this !!!

Stoneage_Caddy
05-17-05, 02:01 PM
Toyota Motor will begin producing a hybrid version of its popular Camry mid-sized sedan at a plant in Kentucky in late 2006, the automaker said.

The hybrid version of the Camry -- perenially among the top-selling US automobiles -- will be the Japanese automaker's fifth gasoline-electric vehicle.

The move comes amid surging demand for Toyota's Prius, the leading hybrid car in the US.

"The continued success of Prius has demonstrated consumers' growing demand for hybrid vehicles," said Jim Press, executive vice president and chief operating officer of Toyota Motor Sales USA.

"Hybrid production in the US will allow us to be even more responsive to the desires of our customers."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usautotoyotahybrid

See GM , build something that sells well , then as you notice the market shift you seemlessly add the demanded features to the best seller ....

Toyota cant keep enough Hybrids on dealer lots , and they can sell camrys all day with no end in sight ....so why not combine boath ....thats what there doing ...and there going to Eat the Big threes lunch while doing it......Thats why Toyota is dominateing ....

Ralph
05-17-05, 06:36 PM
I agree. GM will be left behind in this area. Now the question is, what GM car should they apply this technology to, for now?

Playdrv4me
05-17-05, 08:31 PM
Toyota is not pulling any stops with this. By 2007 The Prius, Corolla, Camry, Highlander, Lexus RX400h, GS450h and LS600h will ALL be Hybrids with an AMG style division of Lexus set to debut on the premise of HYBRID Performance rather than wasteful all out gas guzzling performance like AMG and BMW's M Technic division.

If GM wants to have a fighting chance they need to start applying this technology now in all candidate vehicles. Those would be the Cobalt/Ion/Pursuit, Impala, Equinox, TrailBlazer, Vue, SRX, Deville, and at least 1 Full Size truck version to trounce Toyota. This would be sufficient vehicles to cover every major market segment with a Hybrid option.

That being said, I hope you guys do realize that for the most part, Hybrids are still somewhat gimmicky. They promise fuel economy that as of yet, simply is not being delivered. If you are not a tree hugger, and basically expecting mondo savings over the regularly aspirated versions of the vehicle you are looking at, your in for a big surprise because with prices for Hybrids anywhere between 3-5000.00 more than their non-Hybrid counterparts, its gonna take you no less than 3-5 years to break even.

90Brougham350
05-17-05, 10:26 PM
Kind of like driving an SRT-4. You might win a race, but at the end of the day, you're still driving a Neon. Now I'm not saying that hybrids are piles of crap or anything, it's just a negative public perception about them, and yes, what other people think does matter. Hybrids are fine, after all, to each his own, but there's something to be said for a carb'd 350 in an old Chevy that a hybrid will never have.

Brian