: i need helP!!!! STEREO HELP

DUBdeville
05-17-05, 02:08 AM
:( :( :( :(

i need help with my aftermarket stereo head unit! I have been through 2 "professional" stereo shops and both have failed to install a deck into my car.

i have a 1999 cadillac deville
no bose system

aparently inside my factory head unit are moduals that controll parts in my factory alarm. so when they installed the Aftermarket unit my alarm system went nuts... Both shops said they've installed stereos into cadillacs similar to mine and had no trouble. So now im stuck, i have no idea what to do. please help me!!!!!!!

and sorry for the spellin :hide:

Deville n J-ville
05-17-05, 07:31 AM
Need more info. "It went nuts" doesn't really tell me anything about the problem. If you could explain what it's doing in detail, it will help us help you.

DUBdeville
05-17-05, 10:22 PM
ok. well it worked for about 3 days. they said they had to pull a constant power wire from another source because the harness did not have one. Then i was at work one night "about 3 days after" and i went to get into my car and my keyless remote didnt work, so i used my key. when i got in i turned the key and "security" shows up and it wont start. I keep trying then it starts but the alarm is goin off. So i drove it to the shop (on the freeway) with the alarm and headlights going off. (my car is white, so everyone got out of my way :coolgleam ) but anyways the shop took it in and pulled everything out and told me that they cant do anything to fix it, and that the stock stereo unit contols the alarm so when you remove it the alarm thinks someone has disarmed it:cool: so basically im stuck... please help thanks

D148L0
05-17-05, 10:36 PM
I don't know how the alarm system and the stock head unit interact in your caddy's model, but something tells me that if it works the way they told you, you would have troubles with it from the first time after the aftermarket add on, not 3 days after. If the guys who installed it had previous experience with the same model, they should have known that...
But as I said, I don't know.
I'm sure Deville n J-ville has a better idea of your problem. Good luck.

up2ng
05-18-05, 12:19 AM
OK
The 32 pin connector has everything you need for the radio EXCEPT 1 major thing, the ignition wire. It is controlled through the Class2 Data lines. You can get the Kit for the dash and the wiring harness for under $30 and be done within 45 mins tops, the hardest part is getting an ignition feed from the column.

You can get the kit here (I did) http://bestkits.com/bk_kits_main.htm it's the top left one

Oh BTW you also lost the door chime when you take out the old radio.

If you need anymore help let me know, I have a 97 Deville (same thing)

DUBdeville
05-18-05, 02:22 AM
hey thanks bro, but what the class2 data lines?

i already got all the install "plastic" thats the only thing the stereo shop wouldnt take back. i also still have my harness.... but please explain to me about that class2 line.

up2ng
05-18-05, 08:26 AM
Almost everything in the car (door locks, windows, stereo, etc..) are controlled by 2 wires called Class2 Databus, you can do most of an alarm with just these wires,even window control! I am jealous because my 97 can't do it only 98 and up !

To do the stereo you don't need to do anything with these just follow this diagram.
http://www.installer.com/cars/gm/gm6.jpg
The only difference is you need to get power from somewhere else, with the Deville if you hook up power through this plug you will lose memory after you leave the car for 10 minutes (when the car turns off all power !) so don't use pin 1 & 2 on the left and NONE of the right hand pins except 12-16. Grab power from the steering column Memory - Pink and Ignition - Blue.

Your stereo has nothing to do with the alarm at all, the alarm/keyless entry module is in the back. These "installers" you went to have no Caddy experience or they would have known that. They probobly tapped into one of the databus lines, and if so they or you need to remove and fix it.

Last, if you like that infernal chiming noise and want to keep it (bah !) you need to get the Door chime Module, I'll find it for you if you really want, I personally like the silence.

Once again if you have questions, let me know.

DUBdeville
05-18-05, 11:55 AM
thanks so much bro! Ill let you know how everything turns out...

DUBdeville
05-19-05, 12:18 AM
hey everything is in and it all works!!! Thanks bro

up2ng
05-19-05, 12:39 AM
Enjoy !

Isn't it wonderful without the chimes.

BTW if you later look at any codes on the info center you will now have IRC - No Data on the screen, don't worry It's just because you took the radio out and the PCM can't find it.

Southern DubVille
05-19-05, 07:57 PM
Will those pins be valid for a 2001 DeVille also?

DUBdeville
05-19-05, 09:58 PM
yo bad news!!!! the same thing has happend as before, i was stuck at home this morning couldnt get to work!!!! I went to the shop on my lunch and told them and they said they did everything you said and its still doing it! They dont know what could possibly be causing this. Please let me know what you think!

EDIT:i just went out to start my car. it starts but the alarm is goin off. When i turn it off everything (as in, the accent lights and the lights in the dash) flicker like they're relaying a code? also when i hit my keyless entry they flicker? so please let me know what you think.

up2ng
05-20-05, 08:18 AM
Do you know who installed the alarm ? and what brand is it?

I would have them (or someone) check where the brain is picking up it's ground from. Also the factory alarm should release when you unlock the door with the GM keyless fob, if the stock fob works but the aftermarket doesn't someone forgot the factory disarm wire !

Get the grounds checked first it sound like someone use a radio wire for a ground.

up2ng
05-20-05, 08:28 AM
Will those pins be valid for a 2001 DeVille also?

Yep, but things get hairy pretty quick with 2000 and up !!!
No kit, OnStar module oh did I mention no kit ;)

It can be done with a lot of time or a lot of someone else's paid time.

DUBdeville
05-20-05, 11:40 AM
its the factory cadillac alarm though! nothing is after market on the car (besides the 20's :D ) but anyways, nothing is after market. Would it be easier if i just put an aftermarket alarm system in it so it wont trip the computer? also they guys down at the shop said they could T harness the whole system and hide my factory deck in the trunk and run an independent system off of it :\ let me know what you think is best.

edit: whats fob?

up2ng
05-20-05, 04:52 PM
You shuoldn't need to do that but if that's what works, all they would need is power and data lines thats it.

A fob is the keyless entry thingy with the buttons ;)

DUBdeville
05-20-05, 10:42 PM
ok.

so this is where im at with all this

this morning i used my key to unlock my door, i get in and starts with no problems. I drive to the shop (where i was going to leave it to return to stock stereo) and i hit my fob to lock the doors and it works, so i unlock them with the fob and it works. So next i try to start it again, and it starts. Basically its working fine. All day today i used my key to unlock and lock the door, Not using the fob, and it all still works. what do ya think?

DUBdeville
05-21-05, 06:21 PM
well today i go to start my horn is going off again. i can hear the ticking noise from behind my back seat. im sure its a relay or something relaying a code maybe? well i start it after about 10 trys and put it in reverse and the horn stops, so i go to the shop and everything works so im really confused please help me thanks. Also the guys at the shop are trying there technical support to see if they can by-pass the alarm system, what do you think about this? thanks

nervekiler
05-22-05, 12:37 PM
the guys at the professional stereo shop are right.

i work at a local stereo shop and have turned away a few buicks and caddilacs because of this reason.

do your turn signals and brake lights still work after the original stereo is unplugged? the way i was explained is that, which certain GM cars when you take out the stereo, you are also taking out the brains to your vehicle lighting system.
the computer that controls these important functions are located inside of your stereo.

there is a way to get around it though. there are many shops that do not do this just because its a PITA (or they dont know how). my shop is one of those because no one has ever trained us and i dont want to ruin a customers brand new car learning how to do it myself.
a few harness suppliers make a GM relocation kit. from what ihave heard you keep the factory stereo (your cars computer), and relocate it somewhere like the trunk. you then wire in the aftermarket stereo where the factory one went.

i have never done this cause my supervisor doesnt know how and he wont let me try (liability reasons).. but im assuming its pretty straight forward and the kit comes with instructions that cant be TOO hard to follow.

anyways, sounds like you need to keep your factory stereo (just relocate it) and wire in a new stereo into the dash.

i have heard stories that if you turn the ignition on with the factory stereo out on these "code 2" cars you will RUIN the airbag function and they will never work again.. just what i have herad.. i have no experience with this.

DUBdeville
05-22-05, 07:29 PM
hey man thanks for the info. do you know anywhere i can get info about makin my own t harness? i really dont want to pay anyone anymore money for nothing. I have found a few that you can buy but they're for 2000and up.
example
http://www.audioinmotion.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$AWUMXZAAAADO1TZENUEXBMWPERWR JPX0?UCIDs=414580%7C1056056&PRID=925912

now i havnt noticed if my brake lights dont work, im sure they do i mean ive been driving around like this for about a week. But i did notice when my alarm goes off in the morning at the end of its "freak out" it flashes service airbag for like a half a second...

so please let me know what you think. thanks a mil bro

powerglide
07-06-05, 12:37 PM
Dub.....I (and Weister) have almost the same problem.

My car doesnt have a factory alarm so all it does is go into sleep mode and the remote no longer works until you get in and start it up.

Did you find a relo-harness? If so please tell me where I can find one.

Let us know if you got the problem fixed and if so how.

Thanks

powerglide
07-06-05, 01:25 PM
Looks like the same one works for 96+ devilles

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=5633&cat=0&page=1

I saw a review on circuit city (they sell it too) that says it shorted out in three months...

powerglide
07-06-05, 01:30 PM
upon further investigation the part number we need is

GMRC-03 (96-04) deville

prices range from about 69-100+

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/GMRC03.html

2002silverbullet sts
07-29-05, 02:18 AM
one advice ...work with the factory deck...and upgrade

Mr96caddydeville
08-01-05, 07:58 PM
Hi I am a Newbie!

I just installed a New Alpine head unit and I was losing my "Constant power" to the deck. This forumn helped to ease my mind because I was going to the shop were I got it installed and was going to give them a crap. I had the most problems trying to get my head unit installed, with the bracket, wire harness, and factory amp bypass. I printed off what up2ng wrote and I am taking it to them to fix. I paid for the install so they have to do it right.

Thanks guys!

powerglide
08-01-05, 11:36 PM
2002silver....do you mean just leave the factpry head unit and just add an external amp?

mr96 good luck and report back what you find.

kendallmade
08-22-05, 07:23 AM
I am having this same problem after having an after market CD player installed!!! What did you finally do to correct this problem?? Please help... no one in the world seems to know what to do!

powerglide
08-22-05, 11:28 AM
I haven't fixed mine yet, but here's more on this topic:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=414054#post414054

Good Luck, let us know what you find!

weister42
08-22-05, 02:06 PM
Hey I have a 98 Deville(non-Bose stereo) and I have the same exact problem when I removed my stock radio. There's two ways out of this...

1. Relocate the radio somewhere else(like under the ashtray) or run some custom wire harness to the trunk, but it would be diffcult and if you wire anything backwards it's gonna smoke something.

2. Get a computer tech and have him dissect your stock radio to keep only the needed parts.

I'm going the relocation way, no one ever sits in the center of the front seats anyway.

tabney0315
07-19-09, 10:08 AM
would all this information apply for an 99 eldorado etc, with bose

still_walkin
07-24-09, 12:48 AM
the guys at the professional stereo shop are right.

i work at a local stereo shop and have turned away a few buicks and caddilacs because of this reason.

do your turn signals and brake lights still work after the original stereo is unplugged? the way i was explained is that, which certain GM cars when you take out the stereo, you are also taking out the brains to your vehicle lighting system.
the computer that controls these important functions are located inside of your stereo.

there is a way to get around it though. there are many shops that do not do this just because its a PITA (or they dont know how). my shop is one of those because no one has ever trained us and i dont want to ruin a customers brand new car learning how to do it myself.
a few harness suppliers make a GM relocation kit. from what ihave heard you keep the factory stereo (your cars computer), and relocate it somewhere like the trunk. you then wire in the aftermarket stereo where the factory one went.

i have never done this cause my supervisor doesnt know how and he wont let me try (liability reasons).. but im assuming its pretty straight forward and the kit comes with instructions that cant be TOO hard to follow.

anyways, sounds like you need to keep your factory stereo (just relocate it) and wire in a new stereo into the dash.

i have heard stories that if you turn the ignition on with the factory stereo out on these "code 2" cars you will RUIN the airbag function and they will never work again.. just what i have herad.. i have no experience with this.
You can relocate the factory in the trunk put the new one in your dash but when you wire the new one in hard wire it so its not in the cars orginal radios harness. You should still have your ticks and chimes. The newer the caddy the more electronics issues your are going to have . The radios are wired to the caddys antitheft so if stolen they won't work correctly. So for the new radio tap into the fuse box and find to good 12v one constant and one acc and find a good ground. As for the old radio extend the harness don't cut it. I belive they sall extentions for this issues