: Illuminated Entry Help Please!

DopeStar 156
05-17-05, 02:27 AM
Ok. I referred to my shop manual but it's not helping me. My illuminated entry doesn't work when you press the door handles. Now the interior lights come on when you open the door and everything else, but the 20 seconds of illumination when you press the locked door buttons in doesn't work. So if my doors are locked, and I press the button to activate the ill. entry, it doesn't come on. Now this leads me to believe the sensor in the door panel is broken. How do I even attempt to fix that? Is that even my problem? Help please!

cmgrafmc
05-17-05, 03:41 AM
Has this always been the case or is it something new? Do you have an aftermarket alarm? So that I'm sure, you've tried both door handles?

DopeStar 156
05-17-05, 03:44 AM
Has this always been the case or is it something new? Do you have an aftermarket alarm? So that I'm sure, you've tried both door handles?
It has never worked for me and I want to get it working since every Brougham has this option. My alarm is factory installed so says the stickers on my back windows. Also yes I've tried both door handles and nothing. I also read that the illuminated entry only works if the photocell for the twilight sentinel sences not enough light. I can't remember if I ever tried at night.

cmgrafmc
05-17-05, 03:47 AM
Hm. I suppose trying it at night will be the first step. Check the manual to see if there's a special fuse or relay for this. I'm wondering if there's one just for the door handle triggers.

J-P
05-17-05, 08:50 AM
The sentinel may also have to be enable...

DopeStar 156
05-17-05, 01:05 PM
My Twilight Sentinel is set and works. I might cover the photocell with a strip of paper and try it then. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix it internally? My shop manual shows the assembly for the outside door handles but doesn't show any kind of switch for the illuminated entry.

DopeStar 156
05-17-05, 05:39 PM
Update: I covered the photocell and still no illuminated entry. I'm gonna try looking up relays and fuses and see if any of those could be culprits. I'm trying everything in my power before taking any tools to the door panels.

DaveSmed
05-18-05, 10:41 PM
Nope, not integrated with the twilight sentinel. Since you have the service manual, I assume you have the picture of where the Illuminated entry timer is located. For a rough idea, its under the dash, on the left side of the column, by some large connector. (connector C990 if it helps any)

Anyway, once you find it, unplug it and look at the connector. Many GM connectors have letters designating the terminals, and these letters are often found in the plastic on the connector itself. You want Pin C, the gray wire. This wire should go to ground when the door buttons are pressed. If it doesn't, the problem could very likely be the door switches. If it does, most likely the timer.

Interesting note, I never thought providing ilumination to the interior of your unattended locked car a good idea myself, so at one time, I actually figured out how, with the use of a few relays, to make it so with the factory alarm armed if you pushed the door handle (well, front two anyway) it would honk the horn instead. :) Kinda along the lines of the hood ornament alarm...

DopeStar 156
05-18-05, 11:56 PM
I will try that, but according to my owner's manual, the illuminated entry only works if the photocell sences enough of a lack of light for it. Same with the headlights. The twilight sentinel doesn't need to be engaged for it I don't think but it definately uses the outside light as a source. I'll use my shop manual to look up the location of that thing.

DopeStar 156
05-20-05, 06:46 PM
It has been a few years since I have done this repair and it was on my 1991, but should be the same. Yes, you have the Fleetwood Brougham if it is the rear wheel drive model, commonly known as "Brougham". The illuminated entry timer is small, and it is not located in the relay panel. It is behind the accessory relay panel, which is the one to the left of the fuse block. I can't remember if they both come out together. They are held in with a few long screws and a mounting bracket. Take the screws out and move the bracket out of the way to give yourself some room. You will also need the left side kick panel off to get to this area. This illuminated entry timer is very hard to get to, and this still sounds to me like a timer problem. You will also need to go to a junkyard or something to get yourself another timer. Hope this helps.
Doing a search I came up with this. The relay panel in my car is just swinging and isn't screwed in anywhere. I have it stuffed and it sits directly next to the fuses. Can anyone provide pictures of the timer for me so I can try to locate it? My shop manual isn't helping me at all.

DaveSmed
05-20-05, 10:06 PM
This should help. Sure there connected? I know the FWD Cads are not, and as far as the diagrams I have, I dont see how it would be connected.

AnywayOnce you find the module, and verify wether or not its getting the ground from the switches, it should point you in the right direction. You should also be able to place a ground there to test it out if you like. Ground it, then remove the ground and shut the doors.

DopeStar 156
05-21-05, 02:04 AM
Hmm... that looks like it's gonna be a little hard to find. WHere exactly is that located? Under the dash against the firewall? If you mean my fuse block and my relay panel, they're not one piece, they're two separate pieces. My relay panel isn't connected to anything, it's just kinda tucked under there.

DaveSmed
05-21-05, 02:15 AM
Unfortunately, the closest I can get is this description:

Connector C990: Left Of Steering Column, Behind I/P

...not too much help.

AElayyat
05-21-05, 02:25 PM
Hmm... that looks like it's gonna be a little hard to find. WHere exactly is that located? Under the dash against the firewall? If you mean my fuse block and my relay panel, they're not one piece, they're two separate pieces. My relay panel isn't connected to anything, it's just kinda tucked under there.

Sorry to jump in like this, but I think that the module DaveSmed attached is located ABOVE the fuse box. If you can remove the fuse pannel to the left of the main fuses (the one with the relays), by uncliping it. I know I saw that module somewhere in that area. Good luck

brougham
05-21-05, 06:51 PM
DopeStar when you first got your car didn't you say it had a relay that was missing or something too? I just remembered you saying something like that before when I read your last post. Maybe the guy was playing around it before or something. The switches on the door handles do break so that still might be it too.

DaveSmed
05-21-05, 10:49 PM
If it does turn out to be the door switches, you can opt to bypass them and make your illuminated entry timer work like most other cars, with the timer trigger tied to the door switch. All you need to do is jumper a wire on the same module. While the lights won't come on as soon as you touch the button, they will stay on after you shut the door. Some might argue this is better, due to the lack of interior illumination if some shady character is just trying door handles. Just another option....

DopeStar 156
05-22-05, 03:05 AM
DopeStar when you first got your car didn't you say it had a relay that was missing or something too? I just remembered you saying something like that before when I read your last post. Maybe the guy was playing around it before or something. The switches on the door handles do break so that still might be it too.
Yes. When I bought the car the "Park/Neutral" relay was in a position that was described in the manual as "Not Used." Also the antenna relay is pulled out which is something I did to prevent it from moving. I dunno if any of these will affect that but I have been wrong before!

dill
05-26-05, 08:51 PM
I fixed my entry lights today the gray wire running from the push button through the rubber between the driver door and the door post to the fuse box was broken.I fed a new wire through, plus some extras , just to have there incase another wire breaks. Then soldered it up , it works ok now. Hopes this helps.

youbetcha77
05-27-05, 12:45 AM
I will try that, but according to my owner's manual, the illuminated entry only works if the photocell sences enough of a lack of light for it. Same with the headlights. The twilight sentinel doesn't need to be engaged for it I don't think but it definately uses the outside light as a source. I'll use my shop manual to look up the location of that thing.
The only car that does that is the seville. The interior lights dont even come on with the door open until its dark enough outside. The brougham uses a seperate system for the illuminated entry and should work no matter what. They made this system so that you could look into the car at night and make sure there was no one in it waiting for you. Some people think it makes a easy way for people to see what you have in there, but they most likely are going to be equipped with a flashlight anyway, so it doesnt matter.

Blaze