: Fuel Problem

toms82cad
05-16-05, 11:20 PM
I just bought a 1982 cad deville. the guy ran it out of gas and has not been able to get it started again. I have checked the injectors and fule filter and fuel pump. Fuel is getting to the injectors and it seems that the injectors are not working and wondering if there is a fuse for them or what?

Catillac
05-17-05, 09:36 AM
I've got an 82 Seville 4.1 V-8. I just got my car back from the shop because of this same problem. I stopped to get gas (I was running on empty) and when I got in to start my car... nothing. It just cranked over and over, but no fuel to the carb/DFI. I got a small jerry can of gas and poured some down the carb. It fired right up, then died. The shop looked at it and said as soon as they turned the ignition key, the fuse (under the dash) for the fuel pump would blow. They found the short in the wiring and fixed it and then replaced the fuel pump, pump strainer and fuel filter under the car. $550.00 Canadian later. But they torched my air lines to my air shocks in the back. Oh well, I can fix that. I got my car back (running)! :bouncy:

toms82cad
05-17-05, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have checked the fuel pump and it is working and also changed the fuel filter. I will check further into the fuel pump as it could be that is night not have enough pressure ro open the injectors. I don't wnat to spend a lot of money on the car as yet because I have to get a duplicate title because the guy lost the title and want to make sure I can get the car titled first.

toms82cad
05-17-05, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have checked the fuel pump and it is working and also changed the fuel filter. I will check further into the fuel pump as it could be that is night not have enough pressure ro open the injectors. I don't wnat to spend a lot of money on the car as yet because I have to get a duplicate title because the guy lost the title and want to make sure I can get the car titled first.

davesdeville
05-17-05, 01:03 PM
I don't know about old DFI but injectors open themselves, fuel pressure doesn't have anything to do with it.

toms82cad
05-22-05, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the info. I have solved the problem. It was the fuel pump and the hoses inside the gas tank were rotted.