: Hey BBOB (and others), was the LT1 ever considered

95Concours
05-16-05, 05:56 PM
as an engine for the Deville/Seville/Eldorado back in 1994 to replace the 4.9? I figure GM could of adapted it for FWD, it would have the power to still compete against the german and japanese luxury cruisers (BMW/MercB/Lexus) and cost a whole lot less to adapt then designing a new engine.. Just curious and if it was considered, what was the deciding factor(s).

Thx

CadiJeff
05-16-05, 09:25 PM
I find it doubtful, the lt1 is just too heavy when compared to the 4.x/northstar engines, not to mention fuel efficiency and power/wt. ratio.

fpmesiIII
05-16-05, 11:40 PM
I'd have to agree with the weight factor, and the fuel efficiency. After all Cadillac was just getting off from the 80's with their smaller more fuel efficient V8's (307). I think they tried to make the Northstars have similar power of the LT1 but with better gas mileage. my two cents.

davesdeville
05-17-05, 02:56 AM
Luxury buyers wanted a sophisticated and powerful DOHC V8 so they got one.

95Concours
05-17-05, 12:22 PM
Logical answers, I didnt consider fuel milage.. Thanks.

N0DIH
05-20-05, 01:24 AM
I doubt it. The 4L60E would never be reliable with the torque of an LT1. The gears are not rated for that amount of torque, no matter what you do to the trans. The plantary gearset won't survive through all of GM's reliability testing for that car. Maybe the L99 would, not not the LT1.

davesdeville
05-20-05, 03:44 AM
The 4L60E is the tranny in LT1 Fleetwood Broughams, it's in the one sitting in your driveway right now probably. L meaning longitudinally mounted IE RWD. The 4T60E might not be able to handle an LT1, but the northstar cars used a 4T80E anyway.

BeelzeBob
05-22-05, 12:14 AM
as an engine for the Deville/Seville/Eldorado back in 1994 to replace the 4.9? I figure GM could of adapted it for FWD, it would have the power to still compete against the german and japanese luxury cruisers (BMW/MercB/Lexus) and cost a whole lot less to adapt then designing a new engine.. Just curious and if it was considered, what was the deciding factor(s).

Thx

No, it was never really considered. First off, it is too long and does not package in the TFWD arrangement. The general feeling at the time that a pushrod engine did not provide the sophistication for a luxury car like that. The all aluminum Northstar saved mass, had full capability for the upcoming tighter emission standards and with the DOHC and 4 valves per cylinder would have the high output needed while being smaller displacement for improved fuel economy.