: 94 FWB overheating

goldie95
05-16-05, 11:49 AM
My 1994 Fleetwood Brougham is overheating and the fans are not coming on. I have noticed that the sensor on the thermostat housing has no wire connected. Is this the connection for the fans and, since I can't FIND the wire that attatches there, where does the wire come from?

carguy16
05-16-05, 11:55 AM
pull codes:

1.) Put the ignition to run, but do not start the car.
2.) Turn of the A/C, just press OFF
3.) Hold OFF and the WARM button at the same time, until the diagnostic show up, all the digits will light up
4.) It will then sow 00, 01, 02, 03, 04
5.) While in 00, press OUT TEMP, codes will display every 1.6 seconds, write these down on a piece of paper under 00.
6.) Press OUT TEMP again, the codes will disappear, you are now back on the main menu. Press the fan speed UP, you will now been on 01, now press OUT TEMP again and it will flash the codes, after writing the codes, go up till 04, and report all the codes to us, where we will decode them for you.

EDIT: By the way, do you have a SERVICE ENGINE SOON light on? If you want to run your fans, go into the engine compartment, while FACING your car infront of your AIR FILTER, look to the left of the AIR FILTER BOX where it leads to the engine, and un-plug the Mass Air Flow Sensor, its about 1-2 inches from the air filter, you will have to stand on the DRIVER SIDE of the car next to the wheel to see it. But, by default BOTH FANS will COME ON, and you will have a check engine light on. Keep in mind, when I did this, I may have had some pinging, but the car ran fine, so do this at your own risk. Just let us know the codes.

My 1994 Fleetwood Brougham is overheating and the fans are not coming on. I have noticed that the sensor on the thermostat housing has no wire connected. Is this the connection for the fans and, since I can't FIND the wire that attatches there, where does the wire come from?

goldie95
05-16-05, 12:06 PM
Hey thanks Car Guy 16. Here's the scoop so far: I did subscribe to Alldata.com and have checked the codes. Everything is clear, nothing shows up. I have not tried unplugging the MAF sensor and can't right now, 1500 miles from home at the time. What about the missing wire from the thermostat housing?

carguy16
05-16-05, 09:34 PM
OK, there is an explanation on the thermostate in the picture attached, from factory service manual.

2nd picture, shows engine compartment, are you talking about the sensor that plugs into the water pump (labeled #1 in picture), or something else?

carguy16
05-16-05, 09:53 PM
OK, this didnt post before, possible reasons for over heating, from factory service manual:

thermostat stuck
incorrect 50/50 mixture
to much oil
Advanced/retarted ignition timing
inoperative electic engine coolant fan assembly
faulty water pump assembly
exhaust restriction
Answer this:

1. Does a light come on the dash saying your over heating? If not, how do you know your over heating?
2. Does one of you fans come on when the A/C is on???
3. How many miles?

by the way, in the picture there is a AIR TEMPREATURE SENSOR right ABOVE the arrow, its practically sitting on top of the car, it is on the "noodle curve" of the air intake assembly, closest to the water pump.

N0DIH
05-17-05, 04:42 AM
Aren't the fans on a temp switch override? So if temp exceeds xxx degrees, like 222 or so, the fans come on anyway? Despite ECM control?

Check the relays for the fans. Make sure the fuses to them are not blown.

carguy16
05-18-05, 02:18 PM
How about an update?

goldie95
05-20-05, 08:39 AM
Ok Guys,

Sorry for the delay, just got home after 7 weeks on the road. Went to work on the Fleetwood right away and this is what I happened:

Unplugged the MAF sensor and the fans still did not come on. Unplugged the temp sensor on the lower edge of the water pump and the hesitation problem went away, unplugged the temp sensor ahead of #8 spark plug and the fans came on.

All is fine now but does this mean that both sensors (sending units) are bad? Or should I just replace one at a time? Or should I quit whining and just pull them out and test them?
Thanks for all the ideas, I do appreciate this site!

carguy16
05-20-05, 07:06 PM
Not an expert here, but if you un-plug something and things get better, chances are that thing is bad. The sensors shouldnt be that much, I'd go ahead and replace them.

Least you know where some of the problems came from. :thumbsup:

Ok Guys,

Sorry for the delay, just got home after 7 weeks on the road. Went to work on the Fleetwood right away and this is what I happened:

Unplugged the MAF sensor and the fans still did not come on. Unplugged the temp sensor on the lower edge of the water pump and the hesitation problem went away, unplugged the temp sensor ahead of #8 spark plug and the fans came on.

All is fine now but does this mean that both sensors (sending units) are bad? Or should I just replace one at a time? Or should I quit whining and just pull them out and test them?
Thanks for all the ideas, I do appreciate this site!