: Top J.D. Power rank isn’t a Mercedes priority

HotRodSaint
05-16-05, 09:40 AM
Eckhard Cordes, CEO of the Mercedes Car Group, told the Automotive News Europe Congress that the study’s quality criteria may not be relevant to Mercedes’ international customer base. (http://europe.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=55910)

“One has to carefully analyze whether as a global carmaker it is really advisable to be the J.D. Power No. 1,” Cordes said.

Cordes suggested that the study, which is realeased on May 18, reflects not just facts but also the tastes of US consumers.

“You get marked down if you have more than two buttons on the steering wheel,” he said.

<snip>

In 2004, the brand ranked 10th out of 37 brands sold in the US. Lexus was first, Cadillac second, and Jaguar third.

Whatever the J.D. Power rating, Mercedes will not compromise on quality, Cordes promised.

“We can return to being the benchmark, and we are doing everything to make this happen,” he said.

Cordes said a 1.3-million vehicle recall that Mercedes-Benz is conducting makes sure that all cars in customers’ hands meet the standard of cars currently produced.[/quote]

I never thought I'd see the day when Chrysler was the bright spot in DaimlerChrysler's portolio.

Randy_W
05-17-05, 07:49 AM
Kind of sounds like sour grapes! If we aren't #1, then it doesn't count! I love it!:histeric:

Playdrv4me
05-17-05, 08:56 AM
It pretty much goes along with what I have said for a while. Germans tend to take more stock in the driving experience and overall feeling of the car in their hands than to place such emphasis on reliability. I think this is evidenced even more by the fact that while their cars have some of the best materials and fit and finish quality in the world, they tend to break down just as often if not more-so than their less engineered competitors.

HotRodSaint
05-17-05, 10:46 AM
Germans tend to take more stock in the driving experience and overall feeling of the car in their hands than to place such emphasis on reliability.

Mercedes built it's well earned reputation on quality and engineering.

Then they decided to compete with Lexus in the lower price points, and to do so they put their emphasis on cost savings and not engineering.

This is the result.

And Randy_W has it right, this statement is spin control to take our eyes off of the fact that they will fail to meet their own stated goal.