: oil change for 2001 cadi deville

DUBC
05-16-05, 01:10 AM
please help,not sure what happened but oil changes should not be so complicated.I followed the manual and bought 8 quarts of oil for my oil and filter change.it requires 7.5 quarts and 1 filter. after i drained the oil and jacking the rear up so that i can drain it completly I checked the dip stick and it was bone dry.o.k i started to add the oil and checking as i go and it was full after 5 quarts and i ran it for 20 minutes and let it settle for 10 minutes.it read at the xxxxx top.now i noticed that the drain plug on the oil pan is maybe 2 inches above the bottom of the pan actually located on the side of the oil pan..Does that mean the oil does not completely drain out?and the 2.5 quarts missing was in the bottom of the oil pan?Do you have to use a wet vac,pump or something?the same with the coolant drain it only took 1 gallon of dex cool and a half a gallon of water.what is the problem with the draining process?please help any info is appreciated.

thanks
thanks

JackB
05-17-05, 10:03 PM
Unfortunately I do not have your answer but the question is important enough that I wanted to bump it back to the top. It seems illogical that the pan would be allowed to leave in any old oil. I have a 2002 and have not changed oil yet at home. One of the problems is the car is so low none of my old ramps will work. What did you use to raise the car up for the oil change?

Ranger
05-17-05, 10:48 PM
2" above the bottom of the pan? Something sounds amiss here. I know this doen't sound right and I don't mean to insult you but, are you sure you removed the right bolt?

Regarding ramps: Try laying a lenght of 2x10 or 2x12 infront of the ramps. that shoould get you up high enough to roll onto the ramps. I have been able to get a pan under mine and change the oil and filter without raising it up. It is a bit of a stretch getting under there and I do have long arms but it is doable.

Caddy01DTS
05-18-05, 04:13 AM
DUBC,
I have an 01 dts and change the oil myself each time it's needed. I use ramps. The oil pan bolt (plug) is on the back (side), but at the bottom. Definitely not 2" up the side. As Ranger said, something doesn't sound right.
I always put around 7 1/4 qts. in. I don't want to overfill it.
Hope you get it figured out.

DUBC
05-21-05, 01:11 AM
hey thanks everyone for the replies,its been a long time since i worked on my own
cars and maybe my dumb azz didn't remove the right bolt.no insult taken from anyone help and info is always a plus ,i appreciate the help.the bolt i removed was on the side and of the oil pan which i thought was strange and it also had a wire connection to it.
some type of senor maybe?did i remove the wronge drain bolt ?

thanks everyone
R.B

BeelzeBob
05-21-05, 01:17 AM
Sounds like you removed the low oil level switch not the drain plug. The drain plug is on the bottom of the pan and does not have wires connected to it.

DUBC
05-21-05, 01:37 AM
i thought that was strange but i could'nt find any other bolts on the actual pan.maybe ill try again...thanks for the 411 everyone.although mines is very low to the ground i just used my jack and and put a block under my car for safety,but it wasnt really high enough to be comfortable and proably couldnt see everything too.like the plug....
hey thanks again for the help everyone, that was kool..much appreciated
peace...

thanks
R.B