: X-PIPE is on!

DansCTSV
05-14-05, 08:11 PM
I put the X-PIPE on this morning and have been having a blast driving around today. I give it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and a :D .

It not as much louder than the B&B with the resonator as I thought it would be. From reading all the other posts I was expecting it to be crazy loud. It doesn't even compare to a V8 with Flow Masters. (At least from inside the car) I opted to leave out the cones.

It does have a real deep drone around 1800 RPM's but its not that bad and its easy to avoid.

By the way, as soon as my wife heard it she said it sounded much louder than before but she thought that it still wouldn't be loud enough for me. I am not too sure yet. I could remove the front sections with the small resonators that came with the XPIPE and put in the straight through ones that came with the resonator. Has anyone done that yet? When I look at the pictures of the XPIPE exhaust on the B&B web site it does not show the small resonators.

Power wise I don't notice any difference between the XPIPE and the resonator. Maybe with a tuning it will make a difference. In fact, I think I am getting too used to the V. I was getting all over it today and it wasn't feeling all that fast to me anymore. I think I better start saving for a Maggie.

Anyway, I would reccomend the XPIPE for anyone who is looking for the V to have the American Muscle Car sound. It may be a little much for people that are used to driving BMW's or Mercedes in the past.

lawfive
05-14-05, 08:19 PM
What?? I can't hear you... Something about an X-File???

TheHylandr
05-14-05, 08:20 PM
Kewl...how's about some sound clips?

sti convert
05-14-05, 10:58 PM
Iím leaning toward the B&B but am concerned about the resonance. How bad is it considering 65 mph is about 1800 RPM? Are you recommending just going with the X-pipe over the resonators? I donít want to hear a drone on the freeway.

urbanski
05-15-05, 09:16 AM
Iím leaning toward the B&B but am concerned about the resonance. How bad is it considering 65 mph is about 1800 RPM? Are you recommending just going with the X-pipe over the resonators? I donít want to hear a drone on the freeway.
it's a slight resonance at 1600-1800 RPM....which is 60MPH in 6th gear...question is WHY would anybody be cruising there? It's a non-issue IMO.

DansCTSV
05-15-05, 01:06 PM
The resonance is definately there but its pretty easy to avoid. My opinions is that it's worth it. The car sounds great and sounds like the muscle car that it is. I suppose it may get to you a long drives, time will tell.

That being said, I am having some issues with the X-PIPE installation. I am getting a rattle at high RPMs. It is coming from the pipes hitting the drive shaft cover over the middle joint. At rest there is about an 1/8th inch of clearance. When the motor torques it hits and vibrates. I did not have this with the resonator. I am thinking the front sections are bent wrong. I spent the morning dropping the exhaust back down and refitting everything but it didn't help. This may be my excuse to get rid of the X-PIPE resonators. Either that or I am going to have to take a hammer to it. Either way it looks like I am going to have t drop the exhaust again. :banghead: I need to get a lift...

StealthV
05-15-05, 02:13 PM
At the center of the car, are you using the rubber mount with the stud out either end? My suggestion would be to put a washer or two between the car and the mount to space the x-pipe a smidge lower and avoid contact with the driveshaft cover.

DansCTSV
05-15-05, 02:58 PM
Hi Rick,

I am using the rubber spacers. The problem with putting in washers is that the brackets on the XPIPE are pretty weak, so they will just bend.

Dan

DansCTSV
05-15-05, 08:29 PM
Okay, so I spent the weekend under my V, or so it seems. I swapped out the front sections with the small resonators for the straight sections. These with the XPIPE have solved the rubbing problem. It also sounds way better. Even my wife things so. It's a little louder but the drone is overall less. At around 1800 RPM's or so if you lug it you can make it drone pretty loud but thats about it. This is the configuration that I would reccomend after trying everything this weekend. I would think B&B would ship the XPIPE with the straight sections if you ask. The only thing I didn't try is the cones, but since they rob horsepower there is no sense putting those in.

Also when out for a test driving I got in a quick run with a neighbor's WRX around an on ramp and then up onto the highway. Needless to say, I showed him the power of the V :thumbsup:

HDMLNIUM
05-15-05, 08:56 PM
Dan,

Great to see you got it all taken care of.. Maybe us New England V owners can have a get together and it will give me a great chance to hear the X-pipe..

Bill
http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_front-1.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_engine-yeah.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_rear-1.jpg
05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
Llumar Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers
K&N drop in filter, B&B 3" resonator exhaust....more mods coming..
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

2005V
05-15-05, 08:59 PM
At least from inside the car

Have someone take it for a ride while you stand outside. The car is very well insulated from a sound standpoint. I think you would be shocked at what it sounds like (especially at WOT) from the outside. I know I was the first time I let someone else drive it.

LS6-CTS-V
05-16-05, 08:29 AM
Hey DanCTS-V, Can you give us a Name of the Company and where you purchased this X-Pipe and a price. I myself would like to get one.

Oh, and thanks again for the good feed-back and write up you gave us.

thebigjimsho
05-16-05, 12:54 PM
ahem...cough...search...cough...

Koooop
05-16-05, 02:38 PM
Is the Resonator the only part you changed? I'm looking for some more sound out of my V. I took it to the local exhaust shop, since he has not had the opportunity to do any V's yet he didn't have suggestions on what to change out (Mufflers or Resonator). I did hear LAWFIVE's exhaust on Saturday (at idle and when he blasted by me) I think he said his is corsa system and it sounds good! But I'm not looking for more HP, just more sound.

Bob

DansCTSV
05-17-05, 12:14 AM
koop - did I read your post correctly? "I'm not looking for more HP, just more sound." :cookoo:

I have the B&B XPIPE cat back exhaust with the front sections from the resonator exhaust. I think it sounds great. and the side effect is MORE POWER :thumbsup:

LS6-CTS-V - B&B= Billy Boat Performance Exhaust. see here http://www.bbexhaust.com/

Bill - I agree lets get the New England V owners togather. I met up with James, aka thebigjimsho last weekend. Unfortunatley he didn't have his V. Maybe we should meet at New England Dragway some Friday night. I'm up for other ideas also.

Dan