: Redo Pinstriping?

DopeStar 156
05-14-05, 12:41 AM
I have the normal decal pinstriping on my Fleetwood, but my dad just had his 2005 Mustang pinstriped and it looks fantastic. I want to do pinstriping on my Caddy but am conflicted wether or not I should do it. Opinions?

Stoneage_Caddy
05-14-05, 12:58 AM
im going thru the same thing myself , the original stripeing is faded ...trying to decide what to do as im pretty sure mine isnt stick on but rather painted on .....

Night Wolf
05-14-05, 01:02 AM
I say keep it!

all 3 of my cars have painted pin stripes... none are fadded or anything....

but some cars they look good, others are bad... I know on '89-'93 DeVilles, they look bad without it... same gose for the big body DeVilles and Brougham.

So, I say to re-stripe it!

Well, my Oldsmobile *did* have a painted pin stripe... a nice garnet red to match the interrior.... but now that the car is repainted who knows what the guys will do... probably just use the pin striping tape, if they even remember to do the pin sriping that is....

Stoneage_Caddy
05-14-05, 01:05 AM
anyone have information ont he striping on these cars ? was it done at the factory level or dealer level ?

the only time i have seen painted stripes before i got this car was custom cars and a couple done up cars at cadillac dealers

Night Wolf
05-14-05, 01:13 AM
I am pretty sure it was factory.

They are factory colors too... like the pin striping on my '93 is a neutral sand or something... to match the neutral interrior. On the '79 it is ceder red, to match the red interrior.

It is painted over the normal paint, or so it seems. If the car has taped on pin stipe, then there is a good chance it was a dealer add-on.

my mothers '89 Brougham which has lots of weird after market options has a pin stripe, a very cool one at that... but the guy (don't know what guy... but some guy) actually painted the pin stripe by hand and signed his name -Jim- near the back of the car.

Not many new cars have pin striping... I think it is cool... on certain cars...

Stoneage_Caddy
05-14-05, 01:21 AM
I am pretty sure it was factory.

They are factory colors too... like the pin striping on my '93 is a neutral sand or something... to match the neutral interrior. On the '79 it is ceder red, to match the red interrior.

It is painted over the normal paint, or so it seems. If the car has taped on pin stipe, then there is a good chance it was a dealer add-on.

my mothers '89 Brougham which has lots of weird after market options has a pin stripe, a very cool one at that... but the guy (don't know what guy... but some guy) actually painted the pin stripe by hand and signed his name -Jim- near the back of the car.

Not many new cars have pin striping... I think it is cool... on certain cars...
yah the signature was how i found out about hand stripeing , saw it on something ....years later i went to peel off the striping on mine ot redo it and ....it was painted on !!!!

mine is some sort of deep red , too bad too ...but it would be impossible to do a stripe the same color as my interior on a driftwood car ....itd look lik ebad touchup LOL

DopeStar 156
05-14-05, 03:49 AM
I say keep it!
So, I say to re-stripe it!
LOL! Conflicted there? My Brougham has white decal pinstriping (Well, it looks decaled...) and is a simple two lines from front, to back. I wanted to have hand stripes done, also in white on the trunk, something to emphasize the trunk lock cover, and some sort of underline on the "Cadillac" script. But there's nothing wrong with the original striping, so that's why I'm conflicted.

cmgrafmc
05-14-05, 04:21 AM
I guess you'd better ask yourself:

Pimp or or stock? Both have positive aspects. It depends on if you plan to keep the car for several years. If you have to sell it after a while, someone else may not want anything too fancy or different. I'm trying to only do things to mine that can be changed back if need be. Personally, I think you'd better stick with the normal pinstriping but adding a little something on the trunk isn't a bad idea.

DopeStar 156
05-15-05, 12:45 AM
I guess you'd better ask yourself:

Pimp or or stock? Both have positive aspects. It depends on if you plan to keep the car for several years. If you have to sell it after a while, someone else may not want anything too fancy or different. I'm trying to only do things to mine that can be changed back if need be. Personally, I think you'd better stick with the normal pinstriping but adding a little something on the trunk isn't a bad idea.

Now there's an idea.... Good thinking. Maybe I'll get fancy endings done to the sides but leave the rest alone. I was always partial to that little cross over thing on the end of certain pinstriping.

davesdeville
05-15-05, 08:05 PM
The pinstriping on my ETC was both painted and stick on decal type. It was really annoying when I peeled off the decal stuff only to find some of it is painted on there. It's an ugly yellow color. I'm going to cover it with black stick on stuff to match the interior.

Night Wolf
05-15-05, 11:01 PM
LOL! Conflicted there? My Brougham has white decal pinstriping (Well, it looks decaled...) and is a simple two lines from front, to back. I wanted to have hand stripes done, also in white on the trunk, something to emphasize the trunk lock cover, and some sort of underline on the "Cadillac" script. But there's nothing wrong with the original striping, so that's why I'm conflicted.

lol

I am actually confused as to what you want to do!

the car already has pin striping.... so what are you doing?

I say to leave pin striping on it... vs. having none... not particulary the origanal or doing it over, but in the stripe vs none.... pin stripe is better :)

DopeStar 156
05-15-05, 11:21 PM
lol

I am actually confused as to what you want to do!

the car already has pin striping.... so what are you doing?

I say to leave pin striping on it... vs. having none... not particulary the origanal or doing it over, but in the stripe vs none.... pin stripe is better :)
Sorry, What I've decided on was having hand pinstripes done on the trunk lid and leaving the sides alone. Something to emphasize the crest and maybe a fancy underline on the Cadillac script.

brougham
05-16-05, 08:16 PM
A lot of cars that people add pinstriping too looks really bad. You should already have a pinstripe on the trunk across the top. It might look OK if you underline the Cadillac. Buy some pinstriping stuff and try doing it yourself. It isn't too hard to do and it's easy to take it off again if you don't like the way it looks.

DopeStar 156
05-16-05, 11:27 PM
I might fool around with some pics in photoshop. I'm gonna do that now.

SolidGoldsteen
05-17-05, 12:40 AM
My opinion is that you should pinstripe it with solid gold.

If you're asking about the red car in your signature, I'd think that it would look kinda Maaco without any pinstriping. Even when I see a nice clean new Cadillac with black paint, I see that gold pinstripe.

DopeStar 156
05-17-05, 01:49 AM
Mine already has pinstripes. I'm just looking for the back.