: Water Pump Tool?

Malc
05-13-05, 11:01 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows where you can buy/rent/borrow one of the special sockets to remove the Northstar water pump. I happen to live in the Dallas, Tx area and I've called Autozone and O'Riley's and they don't know what one is, and they seem to be sure it's not on their loaner program. Searching on Google I find that there are cheap versions made that run about $30.00, I think this would work just fine for a one-time job. But where can you buy it locally? (need to change it this weekend) Does anyone know of a national chain that might sell these or anyone from my area every bought one locally?
Thanks in advance!

P.S. Autozone's new pump is $64.00 w/lifetime warranty. They have a cheaper one for $45.00 w/one year warrany, but they would need to order it. Sure.......
How can they sell em without loaning ya the tools to install it??????

Ranger
05-13-05, 11:06 PM
http://www.caddyinfo.com/toolrental.htm
P.S. I think he is in Plano Tx.

dkozloski
05-13-05, 11:22 PM
Napa!

MtlSphere
05-14-05, 12:54 AM
Do you have a Harbor Frieght Tools? I bought one from them in Okc for $19.99. It worked great! :burn:

Malc
05-14-05, 09:02 AM
You're right! Napa $27.49 thanks to all.

1996deVille
05-14-05, 11:06 AM
Malc,

Be sure to order the thermostat housing seal/gasket too. The o-ring seal comes with the water pump, this goes on the front of the pump. The seal will seem a little too large to fit the recessed pocket - it does fit, just use a little care and some silicone to hold it in place while you tighten the 4 mtg bolts.

You'll probably need the water pump belt as well... and while you're in there the hoses, too. Be sure to find all the 3/8 return line/s and the small coupling 3/4" - one of these is down below the EGR. I found this after everything was done and all the coolant in the system, damn!

Oh, the two heater hoses are an ordered item and the output hose from the bottom of the overflow is as well!

Good luck!!!

Ranger
05-14-05, 01:01 PM
Malc,

You'll probably need the water pump belt as well... and while you're in there the hoses, too. Be sure to find all the 3/8 return line/s and the small coupling 3/4" - one of these is down below the EGR. I found this after everything was done and all the coolant in the system, damn!

Don't worry about the short green hose at the bottom of the TB. Because of its inaccessabilty it is a special silicone hose that should outlast the car.

1996deVille
05-14-05, 03:56 PM
Ranger,

My green hoses were "ok" but they were showing wear at the clamp. I guess after 100K they don't owe my a thing! I changed all but that one hose - I'll get it if there is a next time.

BeelzeBob
05-14-05, 05:27 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows where you can buy/rent/borrow one of the special sockets to remove the Northstar water pump. I happen to live in the Dallas, Tx area and I've called Autozone and O'Riley's and they don't know what one is, and they seem to be sure it's not on their loaner program. Searching on Google I find that there are cheap versions made that run about $30.00, I think this would work just fine for a one-time job. But where can you buy it locally? (need to change it this weekend) Does anyone know of a national chain that might sell these or anyone from my area every bought one locally?
Thanks in advance!

P.S. Autozone's new pump is $64.00 w/lifetime warranty. They have a cheaper one for $45.00 w/one year warrany, but they would need to order it. Sure.......
How can they sell em without loaning ya the tools to install it??????

Remember when you get the tool in your hand and the water pump cover off that the water pump cartridge needs to be turned clockwise to remove it. It is clocked into the locking tangs in a "left hand thread" fashion. Turn it clockwise looking into the water pump cavity from the removable cover side to remove it. Counterclockwise to install, then. The key to making any of the less expensive Northstar water pump tools work correctly is to make positively sure it is seated and all the tangs are engaged and then maintain force on the tool to keep it seated into the water pump cover. If it is cocked at all it will cam itself out when you apply torque and damage the tool and the water pump cover and make it even harder to remove.

Malc
05-15-05, 10:45 AM
Went to Napa for the special tool and ended up buying the pump there also. About $54.00.

Found the removal & installation not too difficult, about 1 /12 to 2 hrs. One thing I noted and didn't see written anywhere (even in my 2 volume repair manual) is the notched tang. As mentioned by others, the new pump needs to sit flat on the mounting surface before applying torque to the installation wrench. I set the pump in place and it seemed to wobble just an 1/8" or so. I lifted it out and rotated it to the next tang and it still seemed to do the same. Lifted it out and inspected it to find one tang is not as wide as the rest and it had a circular hole about 3/16" in diam. I figured this must line up with something but couldn't see anything. Got an inspection mirror and flashlight, bingo!. The upper mounting surface (not visable from above) has a corrisponding "tit" protruding from the casing. I lined up the smaller tang in that slot and was able to turn the pump by hand to just get all the tangs started, then applied the wrench and all went well. Thanks again, now I can go to work on Monday. (I guess that's a good thing)

white97deville
05-16-05, 01:58 AM
Sorry that I didn't see this thread earlier. I also live in Dallas and have a water pump tool that you could have borrowed. Had the same results at the parts stores and even Napa told me there was no such thing. Funny thing was one of the clerks at Autozone had a Nstar and was telling me how it was so hard to replace the waterpump on his when he did it. I got a Snap On off Ebay and the pump from Napa also. Glad that you got yours fixed.