: 99 STS - Blown Head Gaskets

Tom99STS
05-13-05, 08:23 PM
What a great forum! I do not have a question -- just a couple of comments. I have read most, if not all posts, regarding blown heads gaskets on this site. I have a 1999 STS with only 80,000 miles and yes -- with blown head gaskets! I have worked on a good many cast iron GM engines, some aluminum air-cooled motorcycle engines and some aluminum air-cooled aircraft engines. But I have never seen (or heard of) so many problems with blown head gaskets -- ever!

I keep reading posts stating "if the N* is properly maintained" things like this do not happen???? I am thinking, that sounds like the response of a Cadillac service manager! That is like saying if driven properly, the old Ford Pinto will not catch on fire when rear-ended! Folks, there has to be serious design issues for this problem to keep resurfacing time and time again.

I know this is going to sound like your parents saying they walked 5 miles uphill through the snow in both directions to school; but, I bought a new 1976 Pontiac Firbird, Formula 400 (for $5,700) and drove it over 200,000 miles and never had to go inside the engine! That was at a cost of less than 3 cents a mile. I paid $57,000 for the STS and drove it 80,000 miles. Gee, that is 71 cents a mile.

Do not get me wrong; I am a diehard GM fan. But I have to admit, a Lexus is looking pretty good to me right now! Hopefully, once the car is repaired I can get 200,000 miles on it. Again, I honestly enjoyed reading all the posts.

Best regards,
Tom

97BlueDeville
05-13-05, 10:20 PM
I hear you...

Lexus HUH :rolleyes: I don't like Glorified Toyota's though..

Did my Gaskets 3,000 miles ago. I love my Deville.. The power is still there and 149,000 miles on the clock.. It was a pain to do that's for sure.. But the motor will last me a long time I feel..

Clint