: Its A Miracle!!!!

CTSV05
05-13-05, 04:41 PM
Its Friday and its not raining!!!!!!!!!!

Of course this is the first Fri. I have had free, and the 1/4 mi track is not open due to the NHRA next week.

So I'll be going to the local 1/8th mile track instead. But at least I'll be able to get some data on the kit and the track battle!

Running 9700 mi runcraps, so we'll see.

dannystang
05-13-05, 05:27 PM
Eww video tape those 60ft times so I know how to launch this thing :)

jspridge
05-13-05, 05:50 PM
Dude - when and where are you going to be doing this? I may be able to provide witness to this madness...

Dave's V
05-13-05, 07:22 PM
I know the feeling about rain. Raiin was a big improvement after we got 3 inches of snow in one day this week.

HDMLNIUM
05-13-05, 07:34 PM
Doug,

Good luck tonight, can't wait to see the 60' times.
Give her Hell..:burn:

Bill

HDMLNIUM
05-14-05, 06:56 AM
Come on Doug, get out of bed and let us know how you did..:yawn: :coffee: :thumbsup:

Bill
http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_front-1.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_engine-yeah.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_rear-1.jpg
05 CTS-V--- Light Platinum
Llumar Clear Bra and Tinted windows, LS6 Emblem, Stealth-V z06 fuel rail covers
K&N drop in filter, B&B 3" resonator exhaust....more mods coming..
Online Photos http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/

TheHylandr
05-14-05, 08:38 AM
Hello Doug...how's about some times? :rolleyes: :p :Poke:

HDMLNIUM
05-14-05, 08:53 AM
Doug,

Wake up!!! It's 8am for crying out loud...lol:lildevil:
Tell us how you did, already....:banghead:
Bill

thebigjimsho
05-14-05, 09:01 AM
HDMLNIUM and TheHylandr are POSTWHORES!!!

Doug, get a good nights sleep and show us some numbers in the morning.

As for you 2, what in the world would you do if we were limited to 10 posts per day?? Why don't you guys stop whorin' up the forum and go Google something?:histeric:

CTSV05
05-14-05, 10:28 AM
Huh....uhh...I'm awake.......

Ok.well, as for the miracle, it was a short lived blessing. As it started raining soon after our arrival, but I got a couple of runs.

1st lesson, do not launch on cold tires!!!If you're running th F1s GET THEM HOT!!!!

I'll get the vids up here soon. I'llll be baaaaak.

HDMLNIUM
05-14-05, 10:49 AM
Doug,
To bad about the rain, atleast you got in a couple of runs first..:thumbsup:
I will be waiting to see the video..:yup: How did the stage III work for you?? Any wheel hop?:banghead:
James,
Your a funny man, post whore... haha That's a couple ex Lightning Owners for you..:lildevil:
Bill

CTSV05
05-14-05, 12:13 PM
Alright, I've been as honest as I think a person can be with my development, and building and even when everyone has ordered.

Now as for last nite, I know no other way but to be honest again, that is of course with due explanation of each step. Hopefully my 2 typing fingers hold out!!!LOL!

I took pics of my slips, but they are not coming out.

O.K., 1st pass, as most if honest will attest, an abscence from the track creates jitters. Did the burnout, 2nd gear, then T/C kicks in DUH! Thats what that switch is for dummy!

So that was fruitless, so I line up, and I sez to me, lets see what this thing is worth!

Rev it up, dump the clutch at about 3-3500. Now here is the honesty part I mentioned earlier. The car started hopping like a 2 bit ho at a millionares convention! It seemed like almost all the way thru 1st, (prolly not) overrevved, hit 2nd, oh, BTW I did go into Comp Mode at the line, hopped and spun, hit 3rd and spun.
2.37 60
6.16 330
9.26 1/8
79.93 mph

So needless to say I wasn't very happy.....but considering it was 87 degrees and very humid, and I overrevved 1st, I wasn't horribly dissappointed either.

So the car was like 218* when I got back to the pits, I thought the fan may come on somewhere under 300*, but maybe not, so I turn the air on to initiate the cooling fans, and it drops back to 210, after reaching 223 as a peak.

I go up for the second pass, its still over 210, but I was anxious to redeem myself.

2nd Pass, I got a little more burnout, and I stage. I feathered the clutch and the car left smooth, no hop, just a little spin. Hit 2nd, some spin some, not hopping, but feeling the tires grabbing and letting go. This was much more like the car acts on the street. But it wasn't pulling at all, I think the heat took its toll and the slip shows it. I had a better run, and every segment was slower. 'Cept the 60'.
2.34 60
6.22 330
9.36 1/8
78.85 mph

Now for the 3rd Pass. Well we let the car cool down to 195*, so I go up, now after the last run, I figured, it seemed the tires liked some heat, so I was determined to do a burnout. Well, not being adept at 3 pedaling it, I just put it in 2nd, and dumped the clutch at 4000. Man, it lit the tires up but good, I held it at about 5500 and as you see in the vid, the car was sideways and smoke was rolling!!!

Anyway, well just so you all will be prepared if you do this, ONCE THE EMTS ARE HOT, THEY WILL HOOK!

I followed the same launch procedure as run 2, well the tires chirped, then they hooked, and then the car bogged!!! It just fell flat on its face, untill the rpms recovered then it took off, this run, no spin/hop/nothing in either the 1-2 or the 2-3 shift! So then we let the car sit for a while, and feeling confident I could get my best pass, we went to the staging lanes, but as the monsoon was approaching they closed us down.
2.45 60
6.37 330
9.48 1/8
79.92 mph

So, in conclusion, the kit performed on the track as on the street, really no difference, except for run 1 with cold tires and too much aggression.

What I learned: With a good tire, I think these cars will handle 1/4 mile duties well, with the EMTs Its imperitive to get them sticky, which with many radials, hot is slick, in this case thats not true. But, at almost $400 a tire.....well thats a tough lesson.

Again, I can only be honest, is this kit a 100% perfect solution? No, and I hope I've made this clear throughout my posts.

Would I take MY Car to the drag strip with out it? No! But, I am so looking forward to new tires!!!!!!!

O.K., I saved the link 'til the end, just so you would read my entire post, hopefully, so there will be some clarification.

I will post to the page, as opposed to each vid.

http://www.karsxtremeperf.com/photo6.html

dannystang
05-14-05, 12:17 PM
I concure. Run Flats need heating up, I learned that also!

CTSV05
05-14-05, 12:27 PM
Danny, was this similar to your experience?

HDMLNIUM
05-14-05, 04:39 PM
Doug,

First I have been thinking about what I want to do since I saw the videos and 60' times.
I appreciate your total honesty with showing the 60' times and the videos that you were able to get. :2thumbs:
I was really hoping that the Stage III kit would lock up the craddle and stop the wheel hop. The main thing I am looking for are better 60' times while not puking the Diff all over the track. It doesn't look like it is going to happen with the IRS with the weak rear. I think it is time for a solid rear axle for me, I will be checking with "JDM Engineering" who did all the work on my Lightning to see if they can fab it. A Ford 9" sounds like the ticket to me and the way I want to go.. My Lightning 60'ed in the 1.5's on a good launch and I won't be happy with this car if I can't atleast get 1.8's to 1.9's with it.
So if it is ok by you I think I would like to cancel my order. I really do appreciate all the work you have put into your design but being a drag racer yourself I think you can understand what I want out of this car. And we both know what I want out of this car isn't going to happen with the rear that is in it now. I still think it would be a great kit for most, but just not for mainly 1/4 mile use while looking for 11's.

Bill

thebigjimsho
05-14-05, 04:50 PM
I'm sorry, I just don't get it. You want to ditch the IRS and do all that work to have a $50,000 solid rear Caddy that gets 11's??

As much as I hate the wheelhop, I'll deal with it for now but have a V that does wonders on the road.

TheHylandr
05-14-05, 05:38 PM
HDMLNIUM and TheHylandr are POSTWHORES!!!

AM NOT!!! http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/xerx/smileybreasts.gif Drag Racin is seeeerious business . . . Inquiring minds wanna know how he did!!!

As for you 2, what in the world would you do if we were limited to 10 posts per day?? End up like you :cookoo:

Doug - Didn't see yer mod list . . . whatcha got?

The '03/04 Cobras have bad wheelhop issues also. It tends to lead to broken half shafts on them. They've had pretty decent results getting rid of the wheel hop using drag radials (Nittos and BFGs). I think I'm gonna order a set of BFG DRs and mount them on 2 of my stock wheels. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

CVP33
05-14-05, 05:52 PM
Hy,

Becareful. We've had more than one forum member grenade the rear differential after finally hooking up using drag radials. Not trying to be a downer, just thought someone should tell ya'.

TheHylandr
05-14-05, 06:01 PM
:dammit: That sux!!! There's gotta be a fix without swapping rear ends...grrrrrrr

Thanx for the heads up!

HDMLNIUM
05-14-05, 06:35 PM
I'm sorry, I just don't get it. You want to ditch the IRS and do all that work to have a $50,000 solid rear Caddy that gets 11's??

As much as I hate the wheelhop, I'll deal with it for now but have a V that does wonders on the road.

Believe me I would rather leave the IRS if there was a beefy diff out there. I know DTE should have one out by what, maybe the end of the season? I guess I could wait as I am sure to get a solid rear axle all fabed up to work in the V would take some time and decent money to get it track ready.
Why is it still hopping so bad, craddle still moving, runcrap tires, car not transfering the weight, etc??? How would you get a 1.8 to 1.9 60'??
Maybe Bushings to lock the cradle and then some adjustable shocks all around like the QA1's to help transfer the weight with some sticky rubber??.. I don't know but I want her to squat, hook, and go with out hopping or breaking the Diff.
Maybe I did buy the wrong car...:annoyed:
Bill

thebigjimsho
05-14-05, 06:41 PM
If we can ever limit the hop enough, then it may be worth it to call a supplier like Quaife to design a sturdier diff.

DILLIGAF
05-14-05, 07:11 PM
Soooooo many variables,there is no way my car hooks like Dougs.Not alot of hop on those vids.I want to see what some non runflats do on that car.I can't dump my clutch on any surface without hop,can't imagine what would happen dumpen on great traction surface.

CTSV05
05-14-05, 10:19 PM
Bill,

I only hopped when the tires were cold.

On the 2nd and 3rd runs it didn't. But, I went back and looked at my time slips from cars I had running around a hi 12 to a lo - mid 13 range.

And the 60' times are not so far off. Now once into the mid 12s the 60' times dipped under the 2.0 mark.

My 1/8 mi e.t.s are way off, but I drove the car today and its way down on power, and was lazy, just as I thought it felt yesterday.

I think I made a mistake and added an octane boost but it took the power down, not up, so when this tank of fuel is gone, I'll go back out and with what I learned, I feel confident, with my normal power level I can get a 2 teen 60', but don't see much better than that on a stock car.

There was a newer Cobra there, obviously very modded, maybe nos?, anyway his best e.t. was 8.11 but he was only running 86 mph. He had drag radials.

Bill, I'll do what you want, but I think you may need to look at the V as an all-round performance car, it isn't built as a drag car, but a car to add a level of excitement to all aspects of driving.

Hy, I'm basically stock, my very short list is under my header.

CTSV05
05-14-05, 10:24 PM
RP,

Trust me, without the kit, I wouldn't even go to the drags, it would be beyond embarrasing!

I'm very anxious to get new tires as well. BUT, I'm not at all unhappy with the way the car behaved, once the driver had some info to work with.

As I stated above, the car is running sluggish, and it has done this before when my wife was forced into buying nasty gas out on the road, so I'm sure next time out, I'll see better #s, new tires, better fuel, and a smarter driver!!!

BUT, this will never be a load 'er up and dump the clutch car, at least not with the current differential unit.

Although, my last burnout was pretty kool huh!!!???

dannystang
05-14-05, 11:39 PM
Danny, was this similar to your experience?

Yeap, I avoided the water pit always, I lit them up to be honest just to get people happy :)

I did a 1st drop sat still for a few seconds then let go.

Thats when I got the 2.2 60ft

Go figure.

I think I know how to get a 2.0 though.

I need track time though to test it out...

dannystang
05-14-05, 11:44 PM
Yeah without Dougs kit I think something going to definately snap...

I saw a supercharged cts-v he launched on the street.

MY jaw DROPPED there was like 6-7 of us at the dyno when he launched.

I really expected his entire rear end to fly 10-20 ft from his car.

No-one noticed my car hop at the track, its does it but well hard to explain, it doesnt Rebound as high.

ace996
05-15-05, 12:25 AM
I mean no disrespect, please do not take the following as malicious or snide...
The V is not a drag car. It was designed for turning and appears to be very adept at that task. I really don't understand why every car with a decent amount of power is whipped/abused at strips, regardless of its design. Check out the Evo forum, you want to see horror stories regarding diffs and clutches...big power and massive traction does not lead to long drivetrain life...again, I don't understand it.

I can see the reason why dragging is appealing: moderately easy to find tracks, a defined way to measure results, excuse to add ridiculous power, mostly safe, and again..I mean no disrespect...not much skill needed. Its straight...my mother can learn to launch...and then its how much you spend.

I just picked up my V last night...its unbelieveable. Everything I could ask of a car except AWD, but the total package is is stunning. It runs, turns, can carry my son in his seat and 4 adults, and the brakes...the brakes are insane! It screams to be flogged on a road course, because that's where it was born. I am disappointed that the wheel hop issue and exploding diffs are common, but you really can't expect much longevity using a tool for an unintended purpose.

A suggestion...take the V to a track with turns, you may like it. And it may hold together better. I have every intent on adding the Kars stage 3 as it makes a good deal of sense to tighten the rear. The car should handle better. And that is what it was born to do...accelerate,turn, and brake.

Sorry for the rant,
ace996

HDMLNIUM
05-15-05, 12:38 AM
Doug,
I know it wasn't fair for me to compare 60' times with what my Lightning ran with slicks but street tires to street tires should be.
I haven't driven a car in years, so maybe I am just spoiled with the last few trucks I have had and should be happy with 2.2's to 2.4's . ;)
My Lightning would 60' 1.9-2.0 stock, being a mid 13 second truck. I even got 1.8's when I was running low profile 22's on it when she was running 12's. Pretty happy with that.. Now I know my Denali was AWD and that makes a huge difference but that was 60'ing 1.7's when I got rid of it at the end of the season last year. 2.2's to 2.4's is what my car does now, with no wheel hop kit. She only has a B&B resonator cat back and a drop in filter, so very close to stock.
It's not that this car shouldn't be able to 60' in sub 2.0 60' time stock. It has plenty of power to do it, you just can't put it to the ground which is my biggest complaint with this car. I was really hoping with your wheel hop kit you would be able to put the power to the ground better than what you or Danny has been able to do so far. Who knows, with some practice this wheel hop kit might do what I was hopping for. I guess even if it just prevents the diff from coming apart and not improving on the 60' time it would be good to have.
Tell you what Doug, don't refund my money just yet and let me think about my options a little more. When the kits are ready to ship if we haven't decided one way or the other yet let me know and I will decide then.:yup:
Danny, get them 60' times to 2.0 and help me decide..:thumbsup:

Bill
http://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_front-1.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_engine-yeah.jpghttp://photobucket.com/albums/v466/HDMLNIUM/th_rear-1.jpg

DILLIGAF
05-15-05, 12:52 AM
05,I agree the v,not a drag car.My car would be indeed embarrasing at the strip.I think your kit will get your v launching predictibly from the line,which is what we all need.Thats what weird about the V,sometimes it hooks, other times violant wheel hop.I'm needing a custom tune and a few other mods to get mine where I think it should be.I'm wanting to see that maggie put up some real numbers.

HDMLNIUM
05-15-05, 01:01 AM
I mean no disrespect...not much skill needed. Its straight...my mother can learn to launch...and then its how much you spend.
Sorry for the rant,
ace996
Everyone has the right to their opinion, but there is a lot more to drag racing and skill is involved with anything with a decent amount of power. Now if you are running a 16 second automatic than I would agree with the skill level statement.
I would love to road course the V, and I am sure I would get hooked and want to do it all of the time. But, I can't go to a road course every week to get my fun fix. As with drag racing I can be at the track in 1 hour, enjoy myself for 4 hours and be back home an hour later. If someone can point me in the right direction of getting my speed fix for the week with a 6 hour total time invested I am game at trying something new.
A BMW friend of mine showed me a video clip of the new M5 today, "not a drag car as you put it" The guy launched it at 4200 and she just hooked and went. No hopping, banging, blown diff, or crappy 60' time.. The V still needs some work to make it a complete total package.. Just my opinions..

Bill

CTSV05
05-15-05, 01:19 AM
Bill, I think with some practice, I can produce a respectable 60'. And a good tire!!! I certainly understand your disappointment in what you would like the V to be, and I do think you could certainly build it to be enjoyable at the track, but IMO, I think a better tire, and MUCH stiffer shocks will be needed to round out the package, maybe like a shock for your track days and the stock shock for taking your friends on your patented scare rides!!!!

Please don't take this wrong, but it seems maybe you have the means to buy an older straight axle vehicle, and mod it into the 11 second ride you want, and then put the kit on the V and use it for the exhilerating road car around town and trips it was meant to be. Yes, No, Maybe?

Hell, my S-10 only 60's in the 1.60s, if your truck did 1.70s and ran 12s thats awesome!! Gotta love a loose converter.

As to the road race comments, this is where I believe the car shines, and I'm anxious to see if mine compares well with a non-kit car. But sadly in Ohio, we have only the one track, and they are not "hobby friendly".

It looks as tho I'll need to go out of state for an affordable opportunity to go around curves in anger.

I have a drag car, and was, am not looking to make the V into one, but, it does provide an opportunity to show the potential improvement my kit provides.

CTSV05
05-15-05, 01:23 AM
Yeah without Dougs kit I think something going to definately snap...

I saw a supercharged cts-v he launched on the street.

MY jaw DROPPED there was like 6-7 of us at the dyno when he launched.

I really expected his entire rear end to fly 10-20 ft from his car.

No-one noticed my car hop at the track, its does it but well hard to explain, it doesnt Rebound as high.

Danny, what I think you are feeling, is the tires grabbing and releasing, not really a "hop", but fighting for traction.

If you'll notice, on my 3rd run, I had no noise either shift as in the previous run, each gear exchange was just a feeling of traction and the car squatting. This is where I believe our tires fail us, but with enough heat in them they will hook, as shown with my car falling on its face.

HDMLNIUM
05-15-05, 01:50 AM
Doug,

I get a lot of enjoyment out of making a new vehicle quick. I have had Drag only vehicles in the past and they wern't as much fun to me. Sure they looked mean and went down the track quick but People know a drag car or truck should be quick. Now when you take something that is pretty new to the market and suprize people with it the look on their face is what makes me happy..
When I raced a Viper at the track when my Lightning looked stock and I was rolling on 22's and beat him, or last season when I raced a 03 Cobra with my Denali and beat him, well you get the idea.. lol That is what makes me happy..:lildevil:
I thought a four Door Cadi would be another great project to do this with. Get the craddle locked so the hop doesn't beat the car to death and a rear end that won't come apart like a tin can and add about 200 hp and that would make me have a nice big grin..:D :2thumbs:
Bill

dannystang
05-15-05, 04:14 AM
Doug,
I know it wasn't fair for me to compare 60' times with what my Lightning ran with slicks but street tires to street tires should be.
I haven't driven a car in years, so maybe I am just spoiled with the last few trucks I have had and should be happy with 2.2's to 2.4's . ;)
My Lightning would 60' 1.9-2.0 stock, being a mid 13 second truck. I even got 1.8's when I was running low profile 22's on it when she was running 12's. Pretty happy with that.. Now I know my Denali was AWD and that makes a huge difference but that was 60'ing 1.7's when I got rid of it at the end of the season last year. 2.2's to 2.4's is what my car does now, with no wheel hop kit. She only has a B&B resonator cat back and a drop in filter, so very close to stock.
It's not that this car shouldn't be able to 60' in sub 2.0 60' time stock. It has plenty of power to do it, you just can't put it to the ground which is my biggest complaint with this car. I was really hoping with your wheel hop kit you would be able to put the power to the ground better than what you or Danny has been able to do so far. Who knows, with some practice this wheel hop kit might do what I was hopping for. I guess even if it just prevents the diff from coming apart and not improving on the 60' time it would be good to have.
Tell you what Doug, don't refund my money just yet and let me think about my options a little more. When the kits are ready to ship if we haven't decided one way or the other yet let me know and I will decide then.:yup:
Danny, get them 60' times to 2.0 and help me decide..:thumbsup:

Bill

Ohh boy pressure.

Well my GTO buddy is going insane to go back to the track since my car was quicker.

He wants a rematch.

Im going back out with these run-craps, to get that 2.0...

I do think its possible, just not easy.

Someone sponser me damnit.

urbanski
05-15-05, 09:22 AM
i want my KARS kit :(

CTSV05
05-15-05, 10:06 AM
URB,

I figured out what I need to do, I'll have some done this week, and painted, and you are first on the list.

Bill, I understand completely, as I wouldn't have a car that I couldn't drive on the street!

Althought the Caddy is much more of a sleeper than the truck!!!!

As I said, I don't think you won't accomplish your goals, its just going to take an insane 2nd and 3rd gear power blast!!!!! Do I hear turbo.............

Danny.....we all want sponsored!

ace996
05-15-05, 10:57 AM
HDMLNIUM,

I'm not sure what the availability is in your region, but an Autocross (SCCA SoloII) may help with the speed fix. I understand that it is not for everyone and the V will probably have its own issues with this as well, but it may be worth a try. If your fix is dependent on pure speed, I'll save you some time and say skip it...as max speeds are usually 70mph or under, depending on course design. However, it is a great place to compete with all types of cars and, without a doubt, you will improve your carving skills.

The Viper club came down to one of NYRegion's events and were sporting the widest race tires I've ever seen on cars that turn. Long story short...I licked them all with my MR2 Spyder....all 125hp of it. Needless to say there were a few tails tucked that night. If we were on a real road course, nuclear power couldn't have helped me from a certain ass whipping.

I plan to Autox the V with the BMW club locally, as their courses are usually more open to give the M cars a chance to open up....something that works to the V's strength as well.

I'm anxious for us to find the cures to the Vs issues, as it is as close to perfect as I could expect. I appreciate my fellow V-pilots doing the homework and "real world testing" required to map out whats needed.

Good luck,

ace996

thebigjimsho
05-15-05, 03:38 PM
I'll tell you that 70mph on a tight, coned course feels a whole lot quicker. I've taken a ride in a Lightning around a course and there isn't much of an experience that comes close.

In fact Bill, in talking with Dan the other night, we're going to try to get together at some local autocrosses. There are more closeby than you may think.

HDMLNIUM
05-15-05, 04:21 PM
You guys have peaked my interest, I did do a couple autocross events back when I first bought my 91 MR2 Turbo. It was fun for parking lot racing, I have a plaque from one of the events, the Event was named "Anyone but Sena" I can't remember now why I only did it those two times but I can see on a bigger area that it would be a blast in the Cadillac.:thumbsup:

Bill

ace996
05-15-05, 11:42 PM
Just be careful...it is very addicting, if you get bit...say goodbye to power mods, you'll be obsessed with suspension tweaking :lildevil: :cookoo: :lildevil:
I won't even bring up the tire insanity....

CTSV05
05-16-05, 12:41 AM
Its all addicting!

Anything you choose to do you always want to go faster, lift more, turn harder, but, I believe thats what sets people like us apart from the gov't mooches!