: Brake Issues: Front and back

carguy16
05-12-05, 01:11 PM
I just took my car to the shop today to have the brakes inspected.

The shoes in the back are getting well worn, and I did see a horizontal crack in the shoe. The shoes have worn down the center, he said that if they were adjusted they would be fine. This lead's me to believe the drum's are probably going to need to be turned or replaced.

Front brakes:

I told them the brakes pulled to the left under hard braking. They told me that the front right caliper was not grabbing all the way, and the left caliper was doing most of the work. They came to the conclusion when they say the way the brake linings were wearing out, one side faster then the other. They said while they were doing that, new rotors, pads, calipers(I forgot if they'd be turned or replaced), front hoses, the bearings would be repacked, all for around $330.00, which isnt that bad, the Chevrolet dealer wanted $299.00 to turn the drums and perform a rear brake job, that was outragious.

I just bought a $30.00 dollar set of Premium Bendix shoes, they I was going to go for some Rebosto's Super Stop, but they didnt have them in stock, so I said the next best premium shoes they have, I got charged a $5.00 core charge.

So, it will be a week before my neighbor replaces the rear shoes, and the drums may need to be replaced. Front brakes, those may be a couple more weeks down the road.

I wanted to get some slotted rotors and high performance pads for the front, any one know where I could get some good slotted rotors for the front? I have tryed online, and autopart stores, but I can only find drilled/slotted combos.

juiceE
05-12-05, 04:30 PM
I Got Sum Slotted Ones From Pepboys For An Impala, No Abs Though. And Its Been A Couple Months Riding With The 20's And I Havnt Been Riding Any Slower Then Usual An So Far So Good... Just Waiting To See If Theyll Warp

carguy16
05-13-05, 11:21 AM
Why cant they make a compatible rotor to keep ABS? Everything should just bolt on to the rotor, whats so special about it?

juiceE
05-16-05, 12:33 PM
its cheaper.... iv seen them with ABS for about $40 more 4 each rotor

codewize
05-16-05, 01:59 PM
ABS rotors have a special spline on that back of them which is watched by a magnet (wheel speed sensor) if the spline isn't there then there is nothing to judge the wheels speed on hence the ABS and Traction control will not work.