: problems with 94 deville 4.6L

jspano
05-11-05, 10:36 PM
we bought the car with a bad cat converter but the car ran fine
the idle would speed up at times
fill it with premium gas and a few hrs later it was idling rough
sputtering and hesitating bad
eventually would not even start up
i bought some fuel cleaner and got the car to start.
ran fine for a short time(couple hrs)
took it to two mechanics and both told us to fix the cat converter
one even recommended a muffler shop that would do it for 150.00
this did not help
i changed the fuel filter
this did not help
we keep getting a P032 code open map sensor
i was told to check to make sure there is vaccum
i'm not sure where it is there are so many sensors
any help would be great

jspano

BeelzeBob
05-11-05, 11:43 PM
If the MAP sensor is failed as the code would indicate then that would cause the problems you describe. The MAP sensor is located under the cover of the intake manifold. Take the perimeter row of screws out of the silver top cover and remove the top cover. The 4 inner bolts that are recessed into the cover do not need to be removed to remove the cover. The MAP sensor is the small rectangular box that is about the size of a tictac box near the throttle body end.

jspano
05-12-05, 12:10 AM
is there a way to check it or should i just buy a new one

jspano
05-12-05, 12:55 AM
Yea the PO32 code will come up at times current then at times history in teh mornings when i start it up it idels up and then down and i have to turn it off and start it up to try and get it to idle fine when iam driving it sometimes it will stall and then check engine light is on now would a map sensor be doing all this and would it give me bad gas mileage on the car? this is my first caillac and i love the car i just want to fix this problem is there any other possible things that it could be or does this sound like a map sensor? and is there a way to check it or schould i just go out and buy a new sensor?

zonie77
05-12-05, 09:44 AM
1) You should get the factory manual. Helms had them for only $30. Look in the tech section for the link. Don't bother with Chilton or Haynes for this kind of problem. Check your local library too. Phoenix Az lets you access Alldata and Mitchell's from the library.

2) There are a lot of sensors because that's what it takes to let the computer know what's happening.

3) You can test the sensor. See 1).

4)There have been a couple of instances of the wiring harness to the intake getting damaged and causing strange problems. This would be unusual but you should take a look at the harness, take the plastic covering off and check. It has a piece of tape holding it at the connector under the throttle body.

jspano
05-12-05, 08:52 PM
changed fuel filter was not the problem but it needed it
went out and bought a map sensor (From caddy not too bad 57.00)
it fit better than the one in there
and pulled the air filter it was real bad... cleaned it... will buy a new one
CAR RUNS GREAT
I HAVE ONE HAPPY SON
(thought i was going to have to put in a sun roof to accomadate his head)
thanks all
jspano
hopefully next post will have pics

BeelzeBob
05-12-05, 09:29 PM
cool. There is no practical way to check a MAP sensor. The computer onboard diagnostics does an excellent job of self diagnosing things like the MAP sensor so it is really the best check that there is.

eldorado1
05-12-05, 10:09 PM
This is the first time I've heard of a map sensor failure..... was it covered with carbon/crud or something?

jspano
05-13-05, 08:41 AM
no carbon but the one in there did not sit in the cradle very well
i went to the local caddy dealer (i have made friends with a parts man when he made
a door key from the vin # we never got one and he dup the chipped key for us)and spoke to two mechs. and they said would start there as well as any maintance for the mileage it tuff not knowing all the history in a used car

jspano
05-13-05, 08:43 AM
also found out how to program another remote key unit off the internet
bought one at a local bone yard for 25.00
caddy wanted 150.00 for the unit and 50.00 to program it
we did it in 30 seconds