: Check engine light on...

willsctsv
05-11-05, 05:37 PM
Check engine light on and Onstar cannot diagnose the problem. They said everything looks fine. The car feels a little slower also on high revs. I will bring it to the dealer in a few days, will I damage anything in the mean time?
All fluids, temps, and pressures are OK.

05-11-05, 05:55 PM
Check engine light on and Onstar cannot diagnose the problem. They said everything looks fine. The car feels a little slower also on high revs. I will bring it to the dealer in a few days, will I damage anything in the mean time?
All fluids, temps, and pressures are OK.

check and tighten your FFV connections.

Joey'sVee
05-11-05, 05:57 PM
I would call the dealer and ask him that question. SOrry but I'm not sure. Good luck and keep us updated!

urbanski
05-11-05, 05:57 PM
first light since header install?

willsctsv
05-11-05, 06:04 PM
Yes! Noticed it after running hard at Watkins Glen. It came on at the end of day 2. I will check my FFV connections! Maybe the heat under the hood and the beating I gave the car brought me an air gap between my ffv connections! I"ll be optimistic and check!

veloce
05-11-05, 06:33 PM
I just had that happen and it was a fuel conection by the tank that came a little loose and set offf the light. Also make sure your gas cap is tight as it will set it off.

CVP33
05-11-05, 07:08 PM
I had an issue with my homemade TB to MAF pipe and Ling' CAI. Actually my fault. The Ling' directions don't do a good job of explaining that the mating gasket on the end of the MAF needs to be removed to mount the MAF to the cleaner element. I forced the gasket onto the metal coupler and really didn't have enough meat left for the clamp to grab onto. This go round I looked at the pictures and saw it was removed and re-installed correctly. No more air leaks, no more check engine light. I must say though, even with the c/e light on I never lost power.

StealthV
05-11-05, 07:21 PM
Beyond checking the clamps, remove the MAF sensor from the car and spray the small wires down with cleaner to remove any potential K&N oil contamination.

Link to MAF cleaner (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=323365&postcount=16) <-- available at autoparts store

Barak
05-11-05, 07:25 PM
I find it really strange that Onstar cannot give you a description or even the number of the trouble code.

willsctsv
05-11-05, 07:56 PM
Connections are fine, I took it apart and put it back together. Light is still on but last time my FFV connection was loose it took over night to clear the code and reset the light. :hmm:

Rick, I'll try to clean the MAF as you suggested.

Gas Cap is fine.

StealthV
05-11-05, 07:58 PM
Autoparts stores such as AutoZone will check your codes for free - something to think about if you're headed to the store for cleaner. :cheers:

CVP33
05-11-05, 10:19 PM
Even after I corrected the loose connection I was never able to clear the c/e light without a trip to the dealer. And BTW, onstar was not able to diagnose mine either.

StealthV
05-11-05, 10:23 PM
Even after I corrected the loose connection I was never able to clear the c/e light without a trip to the dealer. And BTW, onstar was not able to diagnose mine either.

Did you disconnect the battery?

CVP33
05-11-05, 10:43 PM
Honestly no. I was afraid to. And really didn't want to reset everything again. What a PITA. I did try your fuse trick though.

2005V
05-11-05, 11:34 PM
Did you get a custom tune at any time? The reason I ask is that a couple of days after my header install I got the CE light. It turned out to be the rear 02 sensors. We knocked them out w/ LS1 edit and no more light. Just a thought...

Kels55
05-12-05, 12:55 PM
A loose or missing oil cap will turn the check engine light on, but I would think you would have noticed when you checked the FFV.

With my FFV the connection comes loose between the airbox and the MAF. But again you checked that.

Maybe check the other caps under the hood: coolant, brake, etc.?

RobzBLKV
05-12-05, 01:22 PM
I miss having a tool that can read the codes and at least give you an idea what the car is complaining about.

StealthV
05-12-05, 02:09 PM
I miss having a tool that can read the codes and at least give you an idea what the car is complaining about.

This little guy has been in my tool box since the dawn of ODBII --> Code Reader (http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16151)

With my FFV the connection comes loose between the airbox and the MAF. But again you checked that.

Look for an updated FFV component on your doorstep next week. (The rest of you already have it so don't even ask.) :thumbsup:

Will - give us an update... :yup:

Kels55
05-12-05, 03:09 PM
Look for an updated FFV component on your doorstep next week. (The rest of you already have it so don't even ask.) :thumbsup:

Thanks but I don't live at that address any more, I'll PM you with the new address.

ckarti
05-12-05, 04:38 PM
I have a 05 ctsv and am having the same problem. The check engine light came on several times and it was a trans sensor. There was a definate power loss for some time that has not returned. They repaired some wiring that had burnt on the exaust manifold. When I got the car back the sensor was not coming on but the depression of the clutch pedal was much easier. The dealer said if nothing showed up on the senors then there was nothing he could do. I took the car to a local Dyno guy and it pulled 292 rwhp. The fuel is way to rich at 10-10.8 when it should be at 12-13. I took the papers to the dealer and have an appointment to have the car looked at this Monday. I'll let you know what they say.

Kurt

Barak
05-12-05, 05:07 PM
Maybe check the other caps under the hood: coolant, brake, etc.?

The check engine light is for emission related problems only. So don't bother checking the blinker fluid either.

urbanski
05-12-05, 05:15 PM
my blinker fluid was low the other day, and my turnsignal lights turned kinda pink...:(

:D

Kels55
05-12-05, 05:30 PM
The check engine light is for emission related problems only. So don't bother checking the blinker fluid either.

Emissions or not, leave the oil cap off and the light will come on.

Barak
05-12-05, 06:01 PM
Emissions or not, leave the oil cap off and the light will come on.

Kel, leaving the oil cap off is considered emissions and is the first reason why road draft tubes are not around anymore. However, I'm not sure what code would be set if you left the oil cap off. I'm almost certain that leaving the oil cap off will not set the light, but will make a hell of a mess.

willsctsv
05-12-05, 06:23 PM
I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow, I'll keep you guys posted. Maybe I burned up an 02 Sensor. The form a gaket I used in between the headers and the X pipe( at the flange) was great running around town. But 30 minute all out runs at Watkins Glen melted the Permatex right out. That stuff say's it can handle 700 degrees and melted. That's some serious heat!
I'm sure the small exhaust leak is not causing the problem because it is after the sensors.

We'll see what Mr. Goodwrench has to say!

StealthV
05-12-05, 07:26 PM
Let's step through this and see if I have it correctly.

1. Installed B&B headers with silicone at cat-back joint
2. Drove around town no exhaust leaks.
3. 30 minutes of driving on track melted silcone
4. Exhaust now has a leak

The prognosis - the exhaust leak is messing up your rear O2 sensor. Fix the exhaust leak and the light will go off after a few driving cycles.

willsctsv
05-12-05, 07:39 PM
Dr. StealthV, I will defer from the dealer visit as they might tell me the same thing. I ordered a new set of Flange gaskets from B&B and will install em with the permatex. This should hold up. Hopefully!

But you really think that the leak after the 02 sensor is causing problems with the light, hence my power loss!

StealthV
05-12-05, 07:44 PM
Definitely. The rear O2 sensor on the B&B headers is about an inch away from the flange where you have the leak. The leak allows air from "outside" to hit the rear O2 sensor and freaks out the computer which then sets a code.

CVP33
05-12-05, 09:51 PM
My damned "check differential" light keeps coming on. :histeric:

Kels55
05-13-05, 10:45 AM
Kel, leaving the oil cap off is considered emissions and is the first reason why road draft tubes are not around anymore. However, I'm not sure what code would be set if you left the oil cap off. I'm almost certain that leaving the oil cap off will not set the light, but will make a hell of a mess.

I accidently left mine off for two days. No mess but once the cap was back on the check engine light went off.