: Studded heads update

roym01
11-06-13, 01:27 PM
Just an FYI for those that care .............. My 1999 STS whose heads were studded by Jake at 170000 kms now has 230000 KMs almost 3 years later with not a drop of coolant loss or oil leak and runs like a champ. If I were ever fortunate enough to be able to afford struts/shocks there isn't a car anywhere I would rather drive.

Not sure what Jake is up to these days but I highly recommend his services if you ever have HG issues.

Thanks again Jake.

97EldoCoupe
11-06-13, 01:39 PM
I really appreciate that roym01. If you have a second, email me info(at)northstarperformance.com. I would love to get your name because I can't tell who you are from the username.

Anything you need; let me know and I will do my best to assist.

Thank you!

roym01
11-08-13, 02:12 PM
I really appreciate that roym01. If you have a second, email me info(at)northstarperformance.com. I would love to get your name because I can't tell who you are from the username.

Anything you need; let me know and I will do my best to assist.

Thank you!

E-mail sent.

eldoedwardo
11-08-13, 05:06 PM
roym01, I just bought Monroe struts from Amazon for $57 &59. Gabreal rear shocks were $101 with hose kit, now they're $110
I rebuilt shocks, drive train, from tranny seals to hubs' suspension, and all 4 rotors and pads for $600 in parts. cv's were
Cardone, many different choices. no regrets except for ceramic pads, alot of dust......Ed

stoveguyy
11-10-13, 08:30 AM
Its ironic, some cars never have head issues. But almost all cars do eventually wear out struts. Buying oem elec struts is very expensive but passive struts are a cheap fall back.

roym01
11-11-13, 09:07 AM
Not sure I can go with passive suspension. Probably couldn't tell 95% of the time, but I would know 100% of the time that I wasn't driving a real STS. Sort of like owning a 6 cylinder Cayenne, it's really only a VW.

Submariner409
11-11-13, 09:22 AM
Like I told the guy up in the new "STS" forum - concerning replacing MRC components with passive struts/shocks: It's kind of like going from a F-14 Tomcat to a Piper Cub ..... It still flies, but ????

drewsdeville
11-11-13, 05:19 PM
Hardly. More like going from a Champ to a Piper Cub... they both fly, and neither will get you home for dinner any quicker.