: Suggestions for replacing the factory stereo system....

beddy60
05-09-05, 05:01 PM
I would love to keep everything stock but am looking for any suggestions for replacing my factory Bose system with something aftermarket. I am partial to Pioneer SuperTuners but am very open to hints, tips, tricks for this make and model of car:
1994 Seville STS

WarrenJ
05-09-05, 10:06 PM
It would help if you could mention just WHY you want to replace the Bose system. What, in your view, are its failings? How does it dissappoint you?

What additional features are you looking for that you don't now have?

And, perhaps, what is your budget?

Regards,
Warren

EDIT: P.S. Do you want to make my ears bleed while I'm parked/driving next to you?:) :tisk:

93greeneldo
05-09-05, 10:46 PM
I am also interested in changing my audio system in my car but I want to keep the stock head unit but I would like to add a subwoofer to add some more bass to my car. I don't want to have a sound-off competitor but just a little more bass. Can it be done in my car, a 1998 eldorado sls with the bose system, thanks for any help

WarrenJ
05-09-05, 11:08 PM
Does your car have the "pass-thru" armrest in the rear seat? If it does, there are some mini-woofers you might consider installing there.

Regards,
Warren

P.S. Dunno if this applies to you . . . . . . .

americanbodybuilding
05-10-05, 12:38 AM
Beddy,
Your only real option is to either put in just a sub the way I'm telling GreeEldo to, or basically replace the whole system. The Bose system is interesting in the fact that the head unit doesnt power the speakers, the head unit sends an RCA signal to an amp mounted on every speaker. The real problem with this is that you can't replace the speakers without taking out the amps as well. Or atleast in my audio experience, I've never heard of anyone successfully pulling the amps off the backs of the speakers. Besides it not being very easy, I think they're rated at some weird decimal of ohms anyways. So you're only options are
#1 replace the head unit and run wires to the new speakers you install or
#2 (what I'm up to) Replace the head unit, and run the RCA's off that to a 4-channel amp which power the speakers, an amp for the subs, and use the head unit to run tweeters. When you run less wattage off you're head unit, it generally plays clearer and with more quality.

GreenEldo,
You're looking for a line converter, do a search on it and you'll find some good stuff on it. good luck.

=Seth

93greeneldo
05-10-05, 11:38 AM
thanks american body building, have asked many shops around here and none of them want to touch it because it is a bose system, ill look into getting a line converter soon so i can hook my sub i already have up.

Rob_M
05-10-05, 02:19 PM
I want to put an Alpine deck (MP3,WMA,XM )with some Polk Audio speakers in the rear and the doors. THen some day I will add and amp and some subs.

bigred
05-10-05, 05:55 PM
... in my car, a 1998 eldorado sls with the bose system, thanks for any help

Do you know what size the sub is in that car?

My '99 STS Bose came with a 12" sub. Put in an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1D sub in the same hole. Powered by an MTX Thunder TA2301 amp which not only uses the factory speaker wire as the line source but automatically powers on the amp (no need for line converter or power switch).

Even as a "Free-Air" install this setup has enough punch that I'm having trouble eliminating resonance vibrations of the plastic surfaces in the car and the license plate frame & the rear bumper.

If your Bose sub is smaller I'm sure you could find something to fit right in.

Now if only I could find an MP3 changer that hooks up to the Bose system.:annoyed:

davesdeville
05-10-05, 06:53 PM
1998 eldorado sls

Eldorado SLS, EH? :suspect:

mnymaker
05-10-05, 07:19 PM
OK I thought I was the only one who had never seen an Eldorado SLS??? :hide:

93greeneldo
05-11-05, 11:48 AM
When i said eldorado sls i meant it is not the eldorado touring coupe version. it has the bose system in it but it has no subwoofer. I really like the system and don't want to change it but would like to add a subwoofer to have a little more bass without having to crank the radio up really high. I have heard my car described as an sls before so thought it would limit confuison, i guess not, sorry

bigred
05-11-05, 04:05 PM
I believe the correct version is ESC or ElDorado Sport Coupe as opposed to the Touring Coupe.

Are you certain the Eldo Bose system has no sub? Even deVilles & Cateras with Bose get subs.

Until I started investigating I thought my factory sub was broken or disconnected but it just didn't kick in much until the volume was about 1/2 way up. The other speakers were so loud it almost hurt your ears before detectable sound pressure was delivered from the Bose sub. Now I can get respectable clean thump at any volume level.;)

93greeneldo
05-12-05, 11:04 AM
I am pretty sure i don't have any sub in my car. I know all the speakers in the back deck and doors are bose and the headunit is but i don't see any subwoofer in the car. It should be in the trunk right? Should I look some place specific to find it. I did buy the car used so it might have been removed but I don't think so. Any help is greatly appreciated. And sorry again for the confusion between sls and eldorado. I just wanted to make sure you huys knew it was the car with 275 horsepower instead of the etc's 300. I didn't know if it made a difference.

funnyguy2577
05-12-05, 11:33 AM
BigRed: Have you looked into the NeoChanger? It's an MP3 changer that plugs directly into your factory CD changer plug.

NoFear365@yahoo.com
05-12-05, 11:37 AM
That year Eldo never came with a factory sub as far as I know of. And it was to my understanding that only the ETC's got the Bose system. The headunits looks pretty much identicle. The only difference visually is that one will say Bose, the other won't.

And there is no Eldorado SLS. SLS is for the Seville. There's the Eldorado and the Eldorado ETC for that year.

93greeneldo
05-12-05, 12:33 PM
my car has the bose sound system in it I am positive. The radio says bose on it and the speakers have the amplifiers attached to them. I have also been told by several radio places that it is a bose system and that i cannot change the speakers or head unit or add a subwoofer without changing the entire system and i don't want to do that. I like the system just would like a little more bass and i looked all over the car but i don't see any subwoofer or where one would be, any help is appreciated.

NoFear365@yahoo.com
05-12-05, 01:27 PM
You're not going to find a sub in that car because it never came with one. Infact, I don't believe any Eldorado came with one. I think the factory subs started in '98 with SLS / STS. I've never seen a sub in any year Eldo.

bigred
05-12-05, 02:45 PM
If no factory sub then the only problem you have is that you will need a sub enclosure box & have to sacrifice a little trunk space.

Using the factory wires to one of the rear woofers -- sorry but couldn't find out if they're 6 1/2 or 8" -- just splice into the wires & feed that to the LEFT line input on the MTX Thunders series of mono sub amplifiers. Very easy to do. The MTXs are made in America with mostly US parts & seem to all perform well above the advertised specs. No need to worry about pre-amp outputs or power-on switching; this amp series looks after all that.

Another problem you will have is trying to keep the amp power down for the first 2 weeks while you break-in your new sub(s).http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/Golden%20Smilie.bmp

bigred
05-12-05, 07:14 PM
BigRed: Have you looked into the NeoChanger? It's an MP3 changer that plugs directly into your factory CD changer plug.

Yes. I have but this quote is a direct copy from a NeoChanger dealer site:

""1995 - 1999 GM AM/FM radios with CD Players are NOT CD Changer capable".

It doesn't say a single word about Bose.

fleishman
05-12-05, 07:24 PM
I am also trying to solve my bose + bass conundrum, i also love the stock speakers and head unit sound, and would like to add my 10" sub from my last car,
another factor is my bose gold head unit's cd player nor tape deck work, im am sad to hear i cant just replace the head unit with an aftermarket one, my dvd player needs to be worked in too, why would running rca's from a new deck to the preamped speakers be a bad idea? sound quality?
is there any specific company that repairs Bose systems that you know of?
ill talk to some sound guys around here and keep you guys posted on what i learn. thanks.

Rob_M
05-12-05, 08:31 PM
Get a deck, some front speakers, 2 1000 watt amps and 2 18's in the trunk. LOL :tisk:

93greeneldo
05-13-05, 10:21 AM
thanks for all the help, i didn't think my car came with a factory sub but some people told me to look for one. does it matter which rear speaker i splice into or no and is there a limit on the size amplifier i use so i don't short out or break anything from the bose system.

bigred
05-13-05, 01:43 PM
thanks for all the help, i didn't think my car came with a factory sub but some people told me to look for one. does it matter which rear speaker i splice into or no and is there a limit on the size amplifier i use so i don't short out or break anything from the bose system.

If you have Bose then theoretically the wire feeding the speaker/amp carries the full signal so you can use either wire but as long as your careful not to cut thru the wire when you're splicing why not take the output from both woofers. The current to drive the amp circuitry from your "line-outs" is so low that it shouldn't stress the Bose system. Higher powered good quality amps do not require more preamp or line-out current.

Your only limitations on power are $, passenger complaints of high volume, eliminating vibrations, possibly a broken rear window or even a windshield from excessive mirror vibrations.

97 Eldorado
05-15-05, 04:45 AM
I changed the speakers on my 97 Eldorado speakers to the Infinity Kappas....I have the base Eldorado and yes it is a bose system and no, they do not come with a sub. ANYWAY.....I did not have any problems with amplifiers, I just changed the speakers and still kept the same head unit to keep the "stock" look. I changed mine because in my personal opinion, the bose system sounds like crap....but that's just me....

nervekiler
05-22-05, 01:48 PM
i would just tell my customers to replace everything. the bose system might be good.. better than most other systems... but yes it is still crap.

once you hear a nice sounding system you will know exactly what i mean.

while working on an infinity i have taken the amps off of each speaker and adapted them to the new rear speakers customer wanted (blew his rear ones.. wanted to keep stock deck) and we also added a sub an amp. just use a line output convertor, tap into the rear speakers, and then run the RCAs from that. all that is left is to run the amp power wire and amp turn on wire.. then you hook up the equipment like normal.

STS 310
05-22-05, 07:25 PM
BOSE sucks for me, however, at lower listening volumes, it is ok. The signal processing is decent.

D148L0
05-23-05, 12:44 AM
i would just tell my customers to replace everything. the bose system might be good.. better than most other systems... but yes it is still crap.

once you hear a nice sounding system you will know exactly what i mean.

I agree, and have said it a lot of times here (well, I like the bose as a factory system).