: whats with the front valve cover???

cart69
05-09-05, 01:41 PM
so i got the motor and trans outta my 94 this weekend and while its out i wanna replace the valve cover gaskets, so whats the trick to get the little water pump pulley off so i can get the valve cover off on the front of the motor ???

CadiJeff
05-09-05, 01:54 PM
I believe it requires a special tool, not sure but, you may have to get it from a GM dealer

cart69
05-09-05, 01:58 PM
thats the answer i didnt want to here i dont think i have any buddies working there now!!!! hopefully someone can tell me different!!!

BeelzeBob
05-09-05, 05:24 PM
Removing the water pump pulley from the inlet cam requires a simple power steering pump pulley puller. They are very common and mostly generic tools. Just ask for a power steering pulley puller....

Be carefull when you pull the pulley and do not try to pry or use anthing other than a power steering pump pulley puller. The cam can easily be broken. To reinstall it, use the appropriate power steering pump pulley puller...or a long piece of threaded rod threaded into the end of the cam (threads provided - no charge) and a large washer and nut....or you can use different length bolts...but make sure you start with one long enough for sufficient thread engagement prior to starting to pull the pulley on. Then keep switching to a shorter bolt until the pulley is flush with the end of the cam snout.

The cam cover has to be wiggled over that cam snout. It takes a bit of practice as there is only one angle of the cover that allows it to come off with sufficient clearance to all surfaces. Keep trying and do NOT force it as it will wedge and bend/break the cam snout. If you keep trying you will find that it will come off with no effort if held just the right way.

cart69
05-09-05, 05:30 PM
sweet thats kinda what i thought , but just had to be sure i wasnt going about it wrong, i will borrow the p s puller tonight then.

eldorado1
05-09-05, 08:37 PM
It takes a bit of practice as there is only one angle of the cover that allows it to come off with sufficient clearance to all surfaces.

And then you can help other people with it..... Otherwise you can point and laugh as it takes them 15 minutes to figure it out. :D