: are northstars interferene engines?

AKPsiMC03
10-22-03, 11:22 AM
I'm wondering this because my eldo has 111k iles on it and im pretty sure the timing belts are origianals. I dont want them snapping or slipping only to have the valves play patty-cake with the pistons.

also. How hard is it to replace the timing belts? WHat has to come out to do it?

zonie77
10-22-03, 04:46 PM
They are chains and I'm not sure what their service life is but I havn't seen anyone saying they've had them break. I think if the engine is maintained with oil changes at regular intervals they should last as long as the rings and valves.

AKPsiMC03
10-22-03, 05:10 PM
are you sure they are chains? What is the belt on the drivers side front then?

Ultra Slow
10-22-03, 05:50 PM
The Northstar is a REAL engine... No timing belt... I am certain that if you wore the chains out... Probably around the 500K mark, you would hit the valves against the heads, but that is absolutly the last concern you well have to worr about. The only belt you may be thinking of the waterpump belt, looking at the car ts on the top right of the engine.... Easy to change, about 12.00.

are you sure they are chains? What is the belt on the drivers side front then?

zonie77
10-22-03, 06:14 PM
the belt on the drivers side is the water pump drive.

AKPsiMC03
10-22-03, 07:55 PM
okay thanks. I was just getting worried cus i was thinking about it last night when i was looking at pics of when my bro snappee the timing belt on his turbo tallon and smashed up 10 of the 16 valves.

Katshot
10-22-03, 09:58 PM
Yes it's an "interferance engine" but you shouldn't have to worry about it because the (2) cam chains use tensioners.