: AFR Heads?

TXSilverV
05-09-05, 11:07 AM
Has anyone put new heads on yet? I saw a ad in Hot Rod for AFR heads for the LS-6 and they advertise they gain over 100hp. The price is $2989! Keep in mind I don't understand any of this stuff so you guys will have to help. If I get these what else should be changed? I think 100hp for 3k is great, so what I"m I missing? Can you do this and then put the supercharger on and get a 150hp more for a total of 250hp? That would be crazy! I also saw a ad for Moser. Could they be the answer to our rear end problems?:drinker

V-seriesTech
05-09-05, 11:19 AM
Has anyone put new heads on yet? I saw a ad in Hot Rod for AFR heads for the LS-6 and they advertise they gain over 100hp. The price is $2989! Keep in mind I don't understand any of this stuff so you guys will have to help. If I get these what else should be changed? I think 100hp for 3k is great, so what I"m I missing? Can you do this and then put the supercharger on and get a 150hp more for a total of 250hp? That would be crazy! I also saw a ad for Moser. Could they be the answer to our rear end problems?:drinker

Badass heads. But,...then tuneing,valvetrain,cam,bolts,gaskets....etc etc. Not EXACTLY 3k. At that point, might as well do the fast intake as well. $700 to $1000 bucks for that. Plus throttlebody.....$500 to 800....etc etc....LABOR?....

CTSVLS6
05-09-05, 11:23 AM
The ad in Hot Rod is for the old big block chevy. I have AFR heads on and they gained 35 RWHP.

TXSilverV
05-09-05, 11:26 AM
The ad said ls6? 100 hp! 35 is not close to what they advertise!:mad:

CTSVLS6
05-09-05, 11:39 AM
That is the name (LS6) chevy used on there 454-450 hp bb in 1970 If you look to the right side of the ad it says BB-Chevy. If I am looking at the same ad you are. I had to do a double take also when I seen the ad.

GNSCOTT
05-09-05, 11:47 AM
heads, cam , intake, headers , and exhaust you can pick up hundreds of HP. It all depends what you are willing to give up in streetability. 100hp off a cam , heads , and intake is pretty basic stuff.

TXSilverV
05-09-05, 12:04 PM
your correct it does say BB. I'm such a sucker! If it sounds to good to be true then it always is. Should I just save the money and get a supercharger? Also what about mouser ? New rear end from them?maybe?

BliTzer
05-09-05, 04:53 PM
Yeah, those guys are right..

You have to change alot out if you want it right.. Be damn careful they dont offer you same heads as you have just with AFR on them, not knocking AFR they are great, but other ppl that are trying sale them trade, or whatever dont get screwed. The heads on the V are BADASS already, with 202's, so make sure you do 2.05 at the least with 1.65 exhaust.. If you are starpped on cash some, you can modify yours all kinds of ways, you wouldnt beleive how much those stock LS6 heads can take!
Also, you gonna ne a good cam with damn good lift ratio, i had to get it all. But i went with lunati cam, because of the duration i was looking for.
If you do have a maggie, make sure that Cam is maggiefied to work right. Forced induction is very tricky. Maggie & getting your valves to open for max intake & exhaust is the key, at least it is for mine. So that cam is gonna lope a little.. mine lopes enough to mix my coffee for me when i add creamer.. but the way the car is built it really stabilizes the changes alot.

Wish you all the luck, have fun!
Laterz.. blitzer

MikeF
05-09-05, 11:46 PM
I read an article in Car Craft a few months ago where they took one each of most of the 1970+- BB muscle car motors and tuned them to over 500 RWHP. It was surprisingly easy. In some cases (read Chevy) a set of heads and a big quad was enough but at the most heads, cam, quad and sometimes headers did it. Those things were all 7 litres and up.

TypeR0149
05-10-05, 10:35 AM
I added AFR heads and went from 380rwhp/350rwtq to 430rwhp/390rwtq.

the heads kick but.

this is in a GTO with a IRS like your CTS-V's