: Screaming Bose System

turbojimmy
05-09-05, 09:13 AM
I know this is a strange problem, but any guesses would be appreciated.

As many of you know, my DTS is a restored flood total. I don't think this problem is related, though. Obviously the original head and amp didn't work. The head and amp that are in it now are out of another total. The amp definitely got wet as the donor car had no windows. The head came from the same car but didn't appear to have gotten wet. I replaced the sub with a new one from GM, but all of the other speakers are original.

If I leave the radio on when I shut the car off, the next time I turn it on I can hear the music (source doesn't matter: radio, cd, changer) very muffled for about 3 seconds. This is my cue to immediately shut the system off. If I don't shut it off I get an EXTREMELY loud screaming/buzzing sound through the system. Doesn't matter what volume the system is set at - this obnoxious noise comes through full volume. It scares the crap out of me every time. All I have to do to fix it is shut it off and turn it back on and it's fine until next time I shut the car off.

If you had to guess......would it be the head, amp or something else? The head is a few hundred bucks used, not sure how much the amp is. I'd like to narrow down the options before I start buying parts.

TIA,
Jim

deskjockey
05-10-05, 02:39 PM
exorcist...

turbojimmy
05-10-05, 03:03 PM
exorcist...

It is quite creepy, but I don't think it's supernatural.

I did take the OnStar system out of it, which is obviously integrated into the sound system, but I'm not sure that would do it.

It turns out the amp is very expensive so if I do take a gamble I'll start with the head. If it doesn't work I can throw it up on eBay.

I might just live with it for now, though.

Jim

ccclarke
05-11-05, 09:24 PM
This sounds like an intermittent capacitor in the volume circuit of the head unit that occasionally leaks by, but discharges and returns to normal when the power is removed. Depending on your skill level, there are a number of different techniques to troubleshoot and isolate this problem before your hearing/sanity leaves you. Another low-cost head unit (I'd shy away from water-prone, amphibious Cadillacs) from eBay may be in your future. Or a pair of really good earplugs. Good luck!

DJ Kontakt
05-14-05, 09:24 PM
yeah, definately sounds like a capacitor problem to me

why not replace it all with aftermarket stuff and save yourself some toruble ;)

turbojimmy
05-15-05, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll start with the head once I solve some more irritating problems (the left rear door lock for example).

Jim