: Help!!!!!!!!

90Brougham350
05-09-05, 01:52 AM
Jacked up and crawled under the Caddy this afternoon to check out the ELC leak to see if the lines or the shocks were leaking, and of course used the jack, stands, 2 logs, and the parking brake. Parking brake was difficult to engage, and now will not disengage. When I put it in gear, the vacuum release lets the lever move but the brake is still engaged. And boy is it ever tight! I doubt this parking brake was ever used! Anyways, I have to leave school Tuesday afternoon for the summer, you can see my dilemma. How the hell can I get the parking brake to disengage? Please advise, like always, appreciated greatly.

Brian

pimpin88
05-09-05, 07:37 AM
did you try moving the car back and forth slightly. my neighbor has a little geo spectrum, 5 sp. manual. every once in a while the parking brake does not release, so you put it into first and go foward a bit, then reverse a bit, and back and forth till it releases. not sure if that will work for you.

btw, did you find anything out about the ELC

90Brougham350
05-09-05, 09:08 AM
Yeah, my shocks are leaking, so it's time to find some new ones. I tried rocking the car but that brake is engaged so damn hard I've gotta juice the hell out of it to move at all.

Brian

Broughamadrosis
05-09-05, 09:54 AM
Soak the cables with penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster - just the parts that are sheathed, up front where it comes through the floor and the back near the drums. Hopefully this will be enough for it to release... but if it was as hard as you say to set it in the first place, it doesn't sound promising...
If it's stuck at the front part, you may be able to tug on the bare portion of the cable after you soak it (while someone holds the manual release lever).
The rear cables can be helped along by giving them a bend or a twist between soakings.

90Brougham350
05-09-05, 12:45 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what lever? On my 85 Parisienne the parking brake was in the same spot but it had a big pull handle to release the brake. Where is the lever in the Brougham?

Brian

Katshot
05-09-05, 01:01 PM
Sometimes you can get lucky and pull the cable with a pair of Vise-Grips. The cable's rusted and should be replaced most likely.

N0DIH
05-09-05, 02:26 PM
You might check the cable at the equalizer, see if the cable is tight going FORWARD to the brake pedal, or backwards to the brake drums. If forward, you might be able to turn the 7/16" nut on the equalizer to loosen if it is forward problem. Else, if it s backwards, this cable will be slack.

If forward, make sure the return spring is allowing the pedal to fully return. I have had to lift up on the underside of the pedal when releasing the ebrake on some older cars.

90Brougham350
05-09-05, 03:25 PM
Turned the nut on the equalizer for a while and pulled on the cable with a vice grips. Brakes released but the pedal doesn't return all the way up now so I have it held up with a piece of cord tied to the hood release until I get home from school in a few days. Thank you all for help!!!!!!!

Brian

90Brougham350
05-09-05, 05:19 PM
Well, just went for a drive around town to do some errands, and it feels almost 100% but I have this nagging sensation that it's still just barely catching. Stopped by a Chevy dealer (we don't have a Caddy dealer here in crapville) and they said to just cut the steel line if nothing else works and replace it later. Didn't think that was a good option, so I stopped at a tires plus and scheduled for them to adjust the parking brake tomorrow. Thanks again!

Brian