: Need an Honest Opinion on my STS

Lacman
05-09-05, 12:20 AM
Ok here is the deal. I have a 1994 STS N* and freeze plugs on back of head went bad. #5 Cylinder has low compression. Is there any way this motor can be rebuilt or am I just screwed? I have read alll the forums on here and everyone is saying once the motor is failling buy a new motor cause it is trash if you try to rebuild it. Well I don't have the money for a new motor so what is the real deal on rebuilding this motor please help. Also what is the cost on rebuilding this piece of shi*?
Thanks
-Thomas

JSMeloche
05-09-05, 09:15 AM
Also what is the cost on rebuilding this piece of shi*?
Thanks
-Thomas

Please be polite when talking about the N* engine ;) The sophisticated PCM will detect your harsh language and smack you in the head. :P

Most people recommend the engine replacement because engine can be bought pretty cheaply on Ebay. often around 1300-1500$. Changing the engine is pretty straightforward and quick compared to rebuilding it. Rebuilding should be around 2000-3000. Dont forget to have the head bolt timeserted!!! (search for this)

Maybee your engine does not need a complete rebuild, maybee its just a valve spring thats broken or a bent valve.
Good luck!

EcSTSatic
05-09-05, 12:23 PM
Maybee your engine does not need a complete rebuild, maybee its just a valve spring thats broken or a bent valve.
Good luck!

I agree, don't jump to conclusions... or did you leave something out. It could be you just need to do the top-end. Have you done anything to determine whether the compression problem is in the valvetrain or lower? How many miles are on it? What's your interpretation of "low compression"? How much compression do the other cylinders have? You really need to do more analysis before writing off the whole engine.

stingray72
05-09-05, 10:28 PM
Hi Lacman, In todays paper a guy has a 95 Deville Low Miles Motor, Northstar 4.6 Trany and Computer for sale $900 Located in New Orleans 504 522-3490 Good Luck

Lacman
05-10-05, 01:36 AM
Well if I can remember correctly cylinder #5 has only like 25%-45% compression and oil pan leaks of course and freeze plug has gone bad whick I know is rare and also means that the cooling system was not taken care of. I would probably need to replace all the freeze plugs cause no telling how bad the others are. The motor is very strong and does not smoke so maybe just dropping the motor and changing thr freeze plugs on it and rolling with it. Thanks for al the info and that #for the guy with the motor and I will watch what I say about the N* from now on. LOL

Spyder
05-10-05, 03:29 AM
Dude...N* block doesn't have freezeplugs...

WarrenJ
05-10-05, 04:14 AM
The motor is very strong and does not smoke
Okay, so what led you to believe your engine is trash? Some specifics please?

Regards,
Warren

Lacman
05-11-05, 12:32 AM
Yes sir on the back of the head there are freeze plugs. I have gone to the dealer and bought them for a 1994 seville STS Northstar motor I can put my finger right where the whole is which is the freeze plug. The reason I would believe the motor might be bad cause at idol it feels like ass idoling real rough. Little worse than a miss almost. I really don't know how much longer this motor will last if a thing that never goes bad on these cars like a freeze plug went out. I have had it checked out and everyone says # cylinder has little or no compression. Not one person in Houston TX works on this motor. I have called and been to about 37 different places. No one will work on it.

baus
05-12-05, 02:48 PM
they do have freezeplugs i have changed them

Spyder
05-12-05, 03:46 PM
Ah...didn't see where you had put "head" on there...the *block* doesn't have them I said...misunderstanding by both of us...

Res STS
05-12-05, 11:47 PM
Lacman,

You mentioned no cooling system maintenance. How many miles on your car?Maybe your low compression in #5 is down to a blown head gasket rather than bad valve/valve seat.

Anyone on this Forum near Houston who can work on Lacman's car?

STS 310
05-13-05, 12:17 AM
Probably, but I dont remember hearing an apology for the N* bash.;)

jackc
05-13-05, 12:45 AM
Sounds like a classic case of a bad head gasket caused by failure to maintain the cooling system. Northstars with this problem are not junk. They are very repairable using the recommended methods, and are usually found to be in otherwise excellent condition upon disassembly.

You could spend 900 for a used Northstar, but you'd you'd be well-advised to go ahead and replace the head gaskets and oil pan gaskets before you put it in, so you might as well work with what you've got.

Nobody in Houston will work on a Northstar? Unlikely. Houston's a big city. Either you're not checking with the right places, or there's something wrong with how you're approaching them. Keep looking. But this is a big job - you're looking at 20 + hours labor.

91TexasSeville
05-13-05, 03:00 AM
Lacman,

You mentioned no cooling system maintenance. How many miles on your car?Maybe your low compression in #5 is down to a blown head gasket rather than bad valve/valve seat.

Anyone on this Forum near Houston who can work on Lacman's car?

I'm SouthWest of Houston about 15 miles out 59s from the 610 loop. If you are willing to do some wrenching yourself, no problem. Need to run a complete leak down test before anything gets unbolted. I suspect the whole bank leaks but don't know that for a fact yet. Used NorthStar engines are plentiful in my area if it comes to that, and yes a complete gasket kit will be needed in any case.

budkidd@fuse.net
09-21-07, 12:39 AM
i have one and tranny both are in very good shape can here run, crashed in rear end. i put all new parts in the top half and have receits budkidd@fuse.net

clarkz71
09-21-07, 12:42 PM
What, another 2 year old thread??? :thepan:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/eldiablojoe/OldThreadAlert.jpg