: Interior Illumination

90Brougham350
05-06-05, 11:27 PM
Can anyone tell me how the interior illumination / keyhole light are triggered to turn on when the door handles are pushed on my Brougham? The lights and keyhole light come on when I push the passenger side door handle, but not the driver side. Thanks!

Brian

DopeStar 156
05-07-05, 12:31 AM
Well let's see here. The keyhole light is a fiber optic, it comes from tha tbig square light with the red center on the door. None of mine work. Driver and passenger's side do nothing. I heard ill. entry is standard equipment on these cars so I'm baffled. I wanna fix it but I don't know how.

adam_mcd
05-07-05, 12:50 AM
i have the same problem. but i have a 78 door on a 79, so thats probably why (for me at least..)

cmgrafmc
05-07-05, 02:06 AM
HA! Both mine work! Na-na-na-na-NA-na! =P

If it IS a fiber optic light, I suppose you'd have to get behind the light in the door that Dope mentioned. I imagine you'd find something like a fiber optic cable, or at least a hole where one should be? Perhaps it has fallen out of it's hole or something. I think you can buy replacement cable but it may have to be specifically intended for this purpose...no clue here. I really am not sure, I just read something once upon a time. I know you can replace the wiring for the little amber lights above the rear window, they're fiber optic. Maybe, instead of monkeying around with your own car, you can find one in a wrecking yard and poke around to see if you can tell what we're talking about. That way you needn't be concerned about screwing up anything important.

Katshot
05-07-05, 07:30 AM
They ARE fiber optic and since the system works from the passenger side, you can assume the "system" is okay. The lights are prompted by a switch located at each door handle. Since the driver's door doesn't seem to work, I'd say the switch on that handle is either bad or disconnected. Anyone try to break into the car with a slim-jim lately? That's the easiest way to screw this stuff up.

90Brougham350
05-07-05, 09:47 AM
Hope no-ones tried to break in, but I've only owned her for going on 6 months now, so might have been before this. Kat, the lights are supposed to come on when any door handle is pressed? Because if that's the case, only my passenger front door handle does the trick. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Brian

DopeStar 156
05-07-05, 12:51 PM
Naah, just the front two doors. None of mine work so my switches are prolly dead. I just have no idea how to get to them. Are there any fuses or relays I can try first?

brougham
05-07-05, 03:13 PM
DopeStar 156 are you sure that the light comes from the light on the inside of the door? On Sedan DeVilles there's a light just for the locks on the inside of the door panel.

If the lights come on when you open the door there's probably something messed up with your door handles. Usually there's never fuses or anything just for stuff like that. Take your door panel off and you might be able to figure out whats wrong. Maybe it's just unplugged for some reason?

DopeStar 156
05-07-05, 05:08 PM
I'm pretty sure, on the Broughams at least that the key hole halo light runs on a fiber optic from the white and red square light on the inside of the door.