: Help my Cadillac Starts by itself

Sam Hamp
05-05-05, 11:11 PM
I have a 96 Cadillac Seville SLS with a 4.6L Northstar engine. I bought it used and occasionally I will go out to my garage and the car will be running :suspense: I have never seen anything like it. Has anyone out there ever encountered this problem or can you direct me as to what the problem may be!!!!!! Thanks in advance for your help.

**Note: I do NOT have a remote start on this vehicle...that I am aware of**

eldorado1
05-05-05, 11:59 PM
wtf? :bonkers:

Time to call the Ghostbusters?

I have NEVER heard of such a thing. NEVER!!

(edit: do you have a remote start? Or perhaps one you don't know about? I could see that causing the problem...)

dkozloski
05-06-05, 12:14 AM
A couple of qustions. Will the keys be in it as it runs? Does it stop if you hit the brake pedal? Will the key be turned on?

Sam Hamp
05-06-05, 12:19 AM
Yea I can put the key in it when it is running. If I put the key in when it is running and turn the key on then it will not turn off and I can not drive. But YES if I hit the brake pedal it will turn off.

Note: The only way it turns off is to hit the brake pedal ( that I have found)

Stoneage_Caddy
05-06-05, 12:20 AM
my grandfather took his car to a mechanic one time after i had played a joke on him for a week .....he would be inside taking a nap and id run out and start his car , then promptly come back in ...he thought for sure the car was starting itself ...i finnaly told him and he went and got the car before th emechanic looked at it ....never the less i wasnt able to reach the keys after that ...

the hobbys we have when we are 10

Sam Hamp
05-06-05, 12:22 AM
I wish that was the case Stoneage but it has happened while I was standing there next to it.

maydog
05-06-05, 12:34 AM
sounds like a remote start system is installed. Do you hear a relay click when you hit the brake?

It may be set up to keep the car cool when it is really hot out.

Sam Hamp
05-06-05, 12:38 AM
I have not noticed a relay click I will listen closely next time. The other thing is it has occured in all types of wheather. I have owned the car for about a year now and it has gone through winter, summer spring and fall in temperature from 5 to 105 and it does not seem to make a difference in when it starts up.

zonie77
05-06-05, 10:53 AM
There could be a remote starter installed. Check under the dash on the drivers left side. There is a plastic panel hiding the wiring under the dash. Just a few screws to lower it and see if there's an aftermarket box there.

STS 310
05-06-05, 12:39 PM
Damn! This has got to be a Caddy forum first!!!!

Even if it did have a remote start, it would have to be activated by remote.

I know of several people with remote starts, and most of the time you have to hit at least 2 buttons on a transmitter in succession before you can attain engine start.

Do you know the previous owner? Does he or she know where you live?

eldorado1
05-06-05, 01:05 PM
Even if it did have a remote start, it would have to be activated by remote.

Typically the cheap ones run on the same frequency. I wouldn't be surprised if a neighbor down the road is using the same one... Or else the light reflected off Venus was being red shifted into radio waves by the sudden expansion of the universe around your immediate home.

Either way, you should be able to tell fairly easily. Does your house suddenly expand into the size of the sun every once and a while? Have you seen other neighbors car's start by themselves?

Spyder
05-06-05, 01:08 PM
Hehehe...I guess that's better than not starting at all, eh?

turbojimmy
05-06-05, 01:58 PM
The brake shutting it off is a dead giveaway of a remote start system. Shouldn't be too hard to find. It would be up under the dash on the driver's side.

Jim

dkozloski
05-06-05, 02:04 PM
Remote starts are a way of life around here, Fairbanks, Alaska. The ones I own, allow a remote start up to a quarter of a mile away using the transmitter but they also can be set to maintain a temperature in the car either by A/C on a hot day or heating on a cool day. You have a remote start that has gone stupid and doesn't know what it wants to do. Look around for it under the dash. If you can identify it there should be no problem getting instructions and a transmitter for it. They are great on a hot day where you can start the car and cool it down before you get in it or warm it on a cool one. Try it, you'll like it. There are some anti-theft features like the brake pedal kills it and so forth that you'll have to get familiar with but that will all be in the instructions.

STS 310
05-06-05, 02:44 PM
Well, looks like all you need to do is locate the brain, or have it done for you, change the frequency, buy a remote and your set!!!

dkozloski
05-06-05, 04:21 PM
It's very highly unlikely that anyone elses transmitter is affecting your unit. They use a rolling code just like your normal keyless entry fob.

EcSTSatic
05-06-05, 05:02 PM
I had a '79 VW Scirrocco once that got recalled for doing the same thing. Worse though, they were starting up and driving away! It seems that on a rainy day, water would run down the antenna lead, thru the fender, drip on the start relay and short it out. If the car was in gear, it would start and drive off. It never happened to me personally, but I had to take it in for the fix.

Not relevant here - just thought you guys needed some Friday humor!

Sam Hamp
05-06-05, 08:05 PM
OK I have taken off the drivers side dash panel above the pedals. I do not see an after market box there. Could it be located somewher else in the car?

dkozloski
05-06-05, 08:14 PM
Look for a push button switch that operates when you open the hood and follow the wire. This is also a theft protection feature you usually find.

Hason560
05-06-05, 09:27 PM
actully the pin switch under the hood is not an antitheft feature it is so the remote start will not function when you are working on the motor. its a safety switch more or less.

zonie77
05-06-05, 11:58 PM
You could put a remote start anywhere but the wires it connects to are under the dash on the drivers side , going to the drivers side front inner fender (behind the air filter) . If put somewhere else they would have to run a pretty long wiring harness.

STS 310
05-07-05, 12:20 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA.............
Sorry, but the shit about the Volkswagen driving away has got me in a bunch......

powerglide
05-10-05, 09:22 AM
any luck with this creepy problem?

budkidd@fuse.net
09-21-07, 12:44 AM
i would be willing to bet it has a clifford remote start and alarm)

AJxtcman
09-21-07, 08:20 AM
I have a 96 Cadillac Seville SLS with a 4.6L Northstar engine. I bought it used and occasionally I will go out to my garage and the car will be running :suspense: I have never seen anything like it. Has anyone out there ever encountered this problem or can you direct me as to what the problem may be!!!!!! Thanks in advance for your help.

**Note: I do NOT have a remote start on this vehicle...that I am aware of**

I hope this was fixed.
I hope everyone knows this is not that uncommon on 99 and prior cars and all Eldos:rant2:. This goes back to the fuel pump problem, headlamp, and interior light problems. The under hood electrical center. Corrosion and washer fluid residue

Onalaska
09-21-07, 08:38 AM
You need to get this fixed immediately. I just found this thread and if your car starts by itself and is left unattended in a garage or confined space it will generate large amounts of carbon monoxide, if it's in a garage attached to a house this could also leak into the house and cause carbon monoxide poisoning which is deadly.

clarkz71
09-21-07, 11:35 AM
I think it's a little late to worry about this one. This thread is over 2 years old

Playdrv4me
09-21-07, 12:10 PM
i would be willing to bet it has a clifford remote start and alarm)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/eldiablojoe/OldThreadAlert.jpg

HITMONEY
09-21-07, 12:47 PM
Now if only I could get my car to start by itself, go to the store, pick me up some beer and return... now that is a problem I would take me sweet time fixing.

racenutalways1
10-01-07, 06:30 PM
Now if only I could get my car to start by itself, go to the store, pick me up some beer and return... now that is a problem I would take me sweet time fixing.

HAHAHA
Designated Driver without a driver, cool concept. :yup:
That would also be my dream car. Seeing that my car gets more luck then I do. I would add a hot blonde pick up along the way. Or redhead, or.....:yup:

dano2407
12-13-07, 12:40 PM
Man that is wild. Goodluck on that one. Maybe it is trying to tell you that it wants you to run it more. Somebody has to be doing something. Sounds like a good Caddy to me.