: Brougham or Base? How can I tell?

MidwestGuy
05-05-05, 03:17 AM
Hello again,

I realize this might be a real lame question, thanks for tolerating me:)

This '95 Fleetwood I am going to look at, one ad for the car says it is a base another says it is a Brougham. How can I tell which one it really is? It will make a big difference in my bargaining for a better price( judging from what Kelly Blue Book says). Is it the options, engine or something else?

Also, I was out in my apartment complex with a measuring stick estimating the turning and backing distance in relationship to my current car( a 96 Taurus) I think I can back up without hitting anything.:rolleyes:

I requested a test drive Friday morning, should be exciting. I'm a little nervous though, never driven anything quite this large.

Anxious to see what kind of power I get on the Interstate.:eek:

caddycruiser
05-05-05, 07:05 AM
Sure, here's a list to tell if it's a Brougham:

1) Says Brougham on the passenger's side of the dash
2) Has heated seats, memory for the driver's seat, and lumbar controls
3) Has rear seat flip down vanity mirrors
4) Unique wheels

Here's some pictures to help:
Base wheels:
http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/wheels/4514.JPG

Brougham wheels (either machined or chrome):
http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/wheels/4519.JPG

Base seats:
http://img109.echo.cx/img109/8446/baseleather3aa.jpg

Brougham seats:
http://img109.echo.cx/img109/9236/broughamleather3xy.jpg

Hope that helps!!

Katshot
05-05-05, 07:44 AM
Also, I don't think I've ever seen a Brougham without a vinyl top.

caddycruiser
05-05-05, 07:51 AM
Also, I don't think I've ever seen a Brougham without a vinyl top.

True, but I've seen a few--they're just very rare and, IMO, VERY desirable. Actually, the first '93 Brougham we looked at had both the vinyl delete and then the power sunroof. Too bad the rest of the car was just in shreds....

Can you tell I HATE the vinyl roof garbage.... :helpless:

brougham
05-05-05, 01:05 PM
I think they look cheaper when they don't have the vinyl roof. On Broughams it says Brougham on the side of the car too by the Cadillac symbol.

caddycruiser
05-05-05, 01:18 PM
I think they look cheaper when they don't have the vinyl roof. On Broughams it says Brougham on the side of the car too by the Cadillac symbol.

Somewhat true, but having a vinyl roof that is slightly discolored doesn't help the look, and it requires more maintenance than it's worth--i.e., white vinyl like mine, in combination with sitting outside 24/7 :helpless:

Plus, I keep worrying about what mess might be hiding underneath it, if one were ever to peel the crap off, like rust, holes, etc.

DopeStar 156
05-05-05, 02:45 PM
If the car had a real vinyl top and not that kind that doesn't even cover the tops of the doors then I'd like it. If I ever got my hands on a '95 Fleetwood Brougham I'd have a real top put on it. I also like the base model's wheels better.

Revoh
05-05-05, 02:51 PM
If there was one thing I could change on my car it's that stupid vinyl top. But it's a huge problem, so there it will stay.

I've seen Broughams without it, but I know they're pretty unusual.

Katshot
05-05-05, 03:10 PM
When I was designing my car, I Photoshopped the top away and to be honest, the car didn't look as good without it. I used to get our cars without a top and always thought the cars looked goofy without it. That car just needs a top IMO.

caddycruiser
05-05-05, 03:24 PM
Post deleted....

90Brougham350
05-05-05, 05:17 PM
I also like the base model's wheels better.

Amen to that! Regarding the vinyl top, gotta have it. Looks goofy without it, don't care how rare or special they are.

Brian

scurling
05-05-05, 05:41 PM
DIdn't see this in the replies, but look at the options listing label in the trunk.

The Brougham option is a V4S option package. It should be listed if the entire package was installed. It is possible that individual optional items were ordered and installed that are included in the Broughma package.

DopeStar 156
05-05-05, 07:29 PM
Amen to that! Regarding the vinyl top, gotta have it. Looks goofy without it, don't care how rare or special they are.

Brian
No I agree, the car needs a top, but I'd put a full vinyl top on it. Like the one on my current car. I think I heard somewhere the construction of the roof underneath is very poor.

brougham
05-06-05, 01:33 PM
No I agree, the car needs a top, but I'd put a full vinyl top on it. Like the one on my current car. I think I heard somewhere the construction of the roof underneath is very poor.

They do have a full vinyl top.

caddycruiser I have a car with a white landau roof. It doesn't always look perfectly clean but it never looked bad either. Now the car is always clean and usually stays inside so it doesn't really matter. I looked at a white one like mine that was for sale before but it was repainted the chrome looked bad and it had leather seats that were hard and wearing out. And it had high mileage on it and they wanted too much for it. If all that was good I probably wouldn't have gotten it because it had an aftermarket sunroof :vomit:

caddycruiser
05-06-05, 01:50 PM
Well, regardless, I am IN LOVE with this one I just found, only 30 minutes from my house:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=182200467&dealer_id=1380352&car_year=1996&make=CAD&distance=300&lang=en&max_price=&model=FLEE&end_year=1996&min_price=&certified=&address=19966&search_type=both&advanced=&isp=y&start_year=1993&cardist=42#vdptop

Cotillion white, taupe leather, Brougham package, factory chrome wheels, vinyl roof delete, power sunroof, and only 66k miles--doesn't get much better in my book! :worship: :worship:

adam_mcd
05-06-05, 07:27 PM
new cars with vinyl are not as attractive..although i do love 90-97 town cars with vinyl.

Adam
05-06-05, 08:23 PM
the Brougham was an optional package in 95 and wasnt produced like in 93, 94, & 96. all the above statements are correct. so if it is a 95 Brougham it is rare cause you had to order it.

hey Kat, i seen a brougham the other day without a vinyl top. first time i have ever seen one without it. some old couple was driving it. i wanted it bad.

Adam
05-06-05, 08:26 PM
they said it was front wheel drive!!!!! ahahahahahaha jackasses. man if i were you i would snatch that thing up quick! im looking for another one.

Pete Benson
05-06-05, 08:31 PM
I think this paricular vintage Brougham ('93-'96) looks better without the vinyl top - cleaner, sleeker, and smoother. I even prefer the seats in the base model for the same reasons.

Adam
05-06-05, 08:51 PM
i did look pretty nice without the vinyl top. i wouldnt take mine off though. i like the Brougham seats better but that is just me.

caddycruiser
05-06-05, 10:19 PM
I absolutely am in LOVE with that white '96 I posted and am going to see it next weekend when I get home, providing it's still there. :)

Hmm...wonder if I could convince my mother to give me her Suburban to trade.... :bighead: