: Tuning Remedy For Corsa Pop?

crowan
05-04-05, 08:48 PM
I love my Corsa exhaust, but now that the weather has improved and the windows are open more often, the pop that occurs during 1-2 and 2-3 shifts when the pipes are cold is much louder than I would like to put up with.

Does anyone know of a remedy for this problem? Will a PCM tune remove it? Is a switch to 3" B&B pipes the only answer?

Help!

CTSVLS6
05-04-05, 09:26 PM
Call Phil at Dynotech, He can fix the pop with his tune and also you will like the improved performance. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105

ace996
05-04-05, 09:28 PM
I do not have a V, yet, but this is a common issue with aftermarket pipes on cars and bikes alike. The engine usually runs a little lean after an exhaust is installed. Does the pop happen on trailing throttle? If so, then a proper tune will fix it. With emissions testing and mileage concerns forcing manufacturers to comply, engines are tuned much closer to the limit...so when the system is changed with a free flowing exhaust and/or air intake kits, you have an overly lean condition. This is not good for the motor and a tune is highly recommended. A tune will also enhance the performance, as emissions and mileage are usually not high priorities for power fiends, by allowing the engine to focus on the task at hand...power.

I hope that helps,
ace996

05-04-05, 09:55 PM
ace,

I agree with everything you said, but: the B&B guys, with supposedly even freer flowing exhausts, don't get the pops and burbles. I get it to a very slight degree with my flowmasters on my 5.0, but it is strangely pronounced on the V with Corsa. I'm wondering if it is a byproduct of corsa's "patented"noise dampening system....

I'm learning to embrace the noise...every day in my parking garage......first gear all the way......

StealthV
05-04-05, 10:05 PM
Tuning the pop out of the exhaust is easy to do with a tune. On my own tune, I've gone both ways - accentuated pop and eliminated entirely. As with anything in life, there is a trade-off when you eliminate the pop.

Personally, I like more pop and burble. :sneaky:

willsctsv
05-04-05, 10:13 PM
I get some gurgles, but no popping! Only on decleration. I like it!
But, I will be getting a tune. One question, why doesn't the stock computer and sensors realize the extra air in the mixture and compensate with added fuel, I thought that'e what the PCM does in a fuel injected car?

ace996
05-04-05, 10:14 PM
I like the pops, too. Call me crazy, it just sounds meaner.

StealthV
05-04-05, 10:38 PM
I get some gurgles, but no popping! Only on decleration. I like it!
But, I will be getting a tune. One question, why doesn't the stock computer and sensors realize the extra air in the mixture and compensate with added fuel, I thought that'e what the PCM does in a fuel injected car?

Yes, the stock PCM will maintain a 14.7:1 AFR, regardless of mods, during closed loop operation. If it doesn't, you'll soon get the dreaded check engine soon light on the dash. The cure for the pop with the Corsa has nothing to do with this part of the powertrain calibration.

Sandyfoot-V
05-04-05, 10:40 PM
I too have a Corsa exhaust that I love. I detest the popping; juvenile in my opinion. However, a colleague of mine, who has a 2004 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet with an aftermarket exhaust, has the same deceleration popping and loves it. The “pop” seems more acceptable, even sophisticated, in a $100,000 car.

It’s all about perspective.

StealthV
05-04-05, 10:45 PM
My B&B popping turned an envious Mustang Cobra owner's eyes towards my V. When the popping is properly perfected on a V it is a VERY good thing. :thumbsup:

urbanski
05-05-05, 08:15 AM
no pops for me :(

SBONES
05-05-05, 09:00 AM
good morning fella's. I love my pop...wouldnt change it for the world. Im going to call that Phil guy at DTE. I think the pcm is a must from what i hear. :lildevil:

MRR
05-05-05, 09:27 AM
I like the pop also. I had it all the C5s I had with the Corsa.

MRR

Xrayqueen
05-05-05, 11:25 AM
I have Dual Dynomax exhaust no pop's on my Escalade. Just a nice growl :lildevil:
Peace :)

Texan V
05-05-05, 12:22 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but what's DTE's PCM tune got to offer for a V with only exhaust and CAI mods? :hmm: MTI dynoed my car and told me there wasn't any further tuning that could possibly be done until further mods had been performed except for turning on the cooling fans earlier and decreasing the torque management.

StealthV
05-05-05, 01:07 PM
On a related note, DTE's tune eliminates the pop not accentuates it.

There is some tweaking room left for custom tuning. Will it turn 400 hp into 500? No.

CTSVLS6
05-05-05, 01:41 PM
Texan V, check this out, It does work...http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26212