: Catalytic converter

Eldoluvr
05-03-05, 08:14 AM
I have a 96 Eldo with the northstar engine. In the past 2 weeks I have had several problems with the car. New pressure pulley, new a/c compressor, new radiator, and electrical issues with the cooling fans taken care of. With all this going on the car overheated a couple times and I think it might have gunked up my catalytic converter. The car seems like it is hesitating and almost stalling when I hit the gas. She is definately having breathing problems. Has anyone just cut the converter off the car and run without one? I am thinking of high flow exhaust and new intake at the same time. Will this mess up the cars computer? And what if I skipped the exhaust and intake and just cut the converter off, will I be okay?

mcowden
05-03-05, 11:28 AM
Ummm. In a word, no. The computer will not like the idea of having no change in the exhaust emissions before and after the cat (or lack thereof) and the SES light will stay on ad infinitum. If you had a 95 or older car, with OBD-I, you might be able to get away with it, but I would not suggest it for your car. I think it's also been established that a new intake really isn't going to buy you very much if anything at all. I'm pretty sure the overheating didn't clog up your converter. Something else is probably the culprit here. Why don't you get the codes, look them up with the URL below, and post them here. Somebody will help you get it back in good shape again.

http://members.accessus.net/~090/awh/dtcobd2.html

BeelzeBob
05-03-05, 11:58 AM
I have a 96 Eldo with the northstar engine. In the past 2 weeks I have had several problems with the car. New pressure pulley, new a/c compressor, new radiator, and electrical issues with the cooling fans taken care of. With all this going on the car overheated a couple times and I think it might have gunked up my catalytic converter. The car seems like it is hesitating and almost stalling when I hit the gas. She is definately having breathing problems. Has anyone just cut the converter off the car and run without one? I am thinking of high flow exhaust and new intake at the same time. Will this mess up the cars computer? And what if I skipped the exhaust and intake and just cut the converter off, will I be okay?

Overheating the coolant doesn't affect the catalytic converter really. I would not put that at the top of the list of suspects for what you describe.

I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what the fuel pressure is doing as a fuel pump is more likely the culprit for the symptoms you mention.

A 96 is an OBD2 car and it has O2 sensors before and after the cat...so...removing the cat is going to turn on the SES light forever. The car has catalytic converter efficiency detection built into the onboard diagnostics so if the SES light is not on and/or you aren't setting any cat codes then it is probably just fine.

The engine/PCM/diagnostics won't care about the backpressure reduction from removing the cat...but it will care about the lack of cat conv cleanup efficiency and that will set the SES...