: 2000 STS NS smoking under hood after WOT

MrsGillespie
10-25-13, 09:27 PM
My 2000 STS Northstar has 146k miles and I have to put oil in it a LOT (more than the quart every 1000 normal usage) and it smells like burning oil bad, so I know its burning it somewhere. So I read all over the internet these engines build up carbon and so on and about the WOT process. So I did it very carefully and my car started smoking under the hood. I am panicking! I know its smoke, not steam or antifreeze/water. It smells like the burning oil smell. I cant tell where its coming from. The temperature gauge never has gone past normal 12 o'clock. I am so scared and feel like an idiot and am so afraid my engine is totally screwed. Is there anything I can check or do myself? I am mechanically inclined, although Im used to working on things more like Chevy big blocks, Ill try anything!

Ranger
10-25-13, 10:02 PM
:welcome:

You are correct about the carbon and WOT. There is some real good info about it in the Technical Archives at the top left of this page.

Your engine is not screwed. Most likely you have an external leak. Common (easily fixable) leaks are the oil filter adapter to block gasket or the oil pressure switch. Common (not so easy or cheap) leaks are the oil pan or half case gaskets.

98eldo32v
10-25-13, 10:04 PM
Probably valve cover gaskets. Especially the rear head.

MrsGillespie
10-25-13, 10:28 PM
Thank you. Im going to get an oil change in the next couple of days. Hopefully that will rule out a couple of those options.

Ranger, on that diagram, what is the arrow pointing to? Im guessing the front?

Ranger
10-25-13, 11:53 PM
Yes, the arrow is pointing towards the front bumper.