: Looking at 1995 Fleetwood

MidwestGuy
05-03-05, 12:23 AM
Hello,

First time poster, but I've been "lurking" here for awhile.

A 1995 Fleetwood has become available in my area with less that 60,000 miles on it( color black). It's virtually impossible to find one of these things where I live, so I went to the dealer's lot on Sunday morning while they were closed so I could inspect it some more.

I must say, I was very impressed. I recall back in 1994 sitting in a brand new Fleetwood at the local auto show and just loving every minute of it.

The car looks pretty good for 10 years old and the price is under 10 grand.

I am thinking of pursuing the purchase of this behemoth but would like to get an independent mechanic to check it out. I don't think they will find anything considering the mileage, but was wondering if anyone here could recommend some items that could pose trouble spots that the mechanic might specifically look for.

No car is perfect, even the Fleetwood.

Just wondering if there were any thoughts about this. You folks know far more about this car than I would ever know.

Please advise.

Thanks

HotRodSaint
05-03-05, 11:35 AM
The only common mechanical issue seems to be a 'clogged' heater core. You might also check the ball joints for wear.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/289000-289999/289674_71_full.jpg
More Pic's and Specís Here. (http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotrodsaint)

codewize
05-03-05, 12:54 PM
Ball Joints usually lower and just give the rest of the front end a once over. Can I ask what the price is?

Katshot
05-03-05, 01:19 PM
The '95 is my favorite year for the Fleetwood but never the less, there ARE some common issues to have them look at:

1. All steering and suspension items, especially the Level-Ride rear suspension. The front end is pretty simple and anybody can check it for loose components like ball joints, idler arm and center link.
2. Check the cooling system carefully for signs of corrosion and verify the heater core is not clogged.
3. Oil cooler and trans lines have a tendancy to leak.
4. Oil filter adapters have a tendancy to leak.
5. Verify ALL windows work properly. Put them up and down several times
6. If you can, try to listen for exhaust leaks when the engine is stone-cold. Exhaust manifold bolts have a tendancy to break and cause manifold gasket leaks. If they aren't too bad, they will only leak when cold.
7. Overall, look for corrosion since a 10 year old car with such low mileage probably sat a good deal and that will mean it's likely to have some corrosion, especially the exhaust system.

theGman
05-03-05, 06:14 PM
You lucky dog; I couldn't find a black FWB anywhere when I settled on my '95 white one. Since the car is basically an Impala SS, replacement parts are reasonable, even if you find a small problem.

Nothing to do with your question, but a little trivia never hurt: If it is a late '95 it will have the '96 center front armrest (one big door-instead of two smaller ones).

cadillacmike68
05-04-05, 02:33 PM
Whatever you do don't dwaddle, bewcause someone else will snap this up if you do.

you're not in FL by any chance are you (so I can go "steal" it )

If you find anything, just use it to knock down the price, there's almost nothing that will make this a dealbreaker other than ending damage.

Katshot
05-04-05, 03:56 PM
FLASH!!
There's 5 of them on Ebay right now.

MidwestGuy
05-05-05, 05:22 AM
The '95 is my favorite year for the Fleetwood but never the less, there ARE some common issues to have them look at:

1. All steering and suspension items, especially the Level-Ride rear suspension. The front end is pretty simple and anybody can check it for loose components like ball joints, idler arm and center link.
2. Check the cooling system carefully for signs of corrosion and verify the heater core is not clogged.
3. Oil cooler and trans lines have a tendancy to leak.
4. Oil filter adapters have a tendancy to leak.
5. Verify ALL windows work properly. Put them up and down several times
6. If you can, try to listen for exhaust leaks when the engine is stone-cold. Exhaust manifold bolts have a tendancy to break and cause manifold gasket leaks. If they aren't too bad, they will only leak when cold.
7. Overall, look for corrosion since a 10 year old car with such low mileage probably sat a good deal and that will mean it's likely to have some corrosion, especially the exhaust system.

I did see corrosion around the exhaust system, but it didn't look severe

MidwestGuy
05-05-05, 05:25 AM
Ball Joints usually lower and just give the rest of the front end a once over. Can I ask what the price is?

Just under $10,000

MidwestGuy
05-05-05, 05:31 AM
Whatever you do don't dwaddle, bewcause someone else will snap this up if you do.

you're not in FL by any chance are you (so I can go "steal" it )

If you find anything, just use it to knock down the price, there's almost nothing that will make this a dealbreaker other than ending damage.

No, I'm in the midwest( don't ask me where, I won't say:) )

This doesn't appear to be a Florida car, but I am going to get a carfax report and see what it says. I get the distinct impression this dealer is eager to sell.
I think I'll send in Carchex to look it over

JAKE91
05-05-05, 08:32 AM
FIRST AND FOREMOST,I ALWAYS LOOK AT THE TITLE TO FIND OUT THE PREVIOUS OWNER.
MINE CAME FROM A FUNERAL PARLOR AND WAS DETAILED AFTER EVERY OUTING INTO THE OZONE. IT HAS RUN FLAWLESS SINCE I FOUND IT. A TRUE PLEASURE TO DRIVE ON LONG TRIPS(MY MAINSTAY). :bouncy:

ASK FOR THE OWNERS NAME AND NUMBER AFTER EXAMINING THE TITLE, AND CALL THE GUY ABOUT THE CAR.

CARFAX, GOOD IDEA TOO. GOOD LUCK.

THE FLEETWOODS, ROADMASTERS AND CAPRICES WILL BE HOT ITEMS IN A FEW YEARS, NOW THAT GM IS CANCELLING THEIR REAR-WHEEL DRIVE PROGRAM FOR THEIR NEW LINE-UP. :drinker

scurling
05-05-05, 05:55 PM
I agree with Kat. You can usually find a handfull of Fltwds. for sale at any given week.

There is no reason to jump at this one vehicle unless it is priced right for its current mechanical and visual condition. If you are really looking for a Fltwd. don't restrict yourself to just your local area. Many are on the market. I don't know about the mid-west in particular.

IMO, just under $10K is a very high price. I paid just under $9K for a '94 last fall, but it was in IMMACULATE condition with $24k miles. Always garaged, came from a funeral home fleet, and the second owner was a retired doctor who kept it in his garage or under a cover. I found it on the Internet, and drove three hours to check it out after speaking to the owner on the phone. I think what I paid was more than market price, but I really wanted it, and plan to keep it for many years.