: help! timing question (im probably dumb)

pimpin88
05-02-05, 10:21 PM
alright, so to adjust the timing, you are supposed to loosen the bolt on the clamp underneath the distributor where it goes into the block. right?

well, what happens when it wont turn.

am i screwed

cmgrafmc
05-02-05, 10:42 PM
If it won't turn, how can you be "screwed?" =P

90Brougham350
05-02-05, 10:42 PM
It will turn, just put a little muscle into it. It should just be a 9/16th inch bolt (going off memory from Chevy). A distributor wrench helps. Just push a little harder, you'll get it! :yup: You are turning lefty-loosey, not righty-tighty, right? Just making sure!

Brian

The Ape Man
05-03-05, 12:38 AM
Sometimes distributors do get stuck. You might get it loose by a whole lot of twisting force in one direction followed by the same in the other direction. Be sure that the lock is loose first. Do you have any favorite curses?

pimpin88
05-03-05, 08:38 AM
Do you have any favorite curses?

yea, and a few of them came out yesterday.

i had a 9/16th distributor wrench and had a glove on my hand so i could push harder. still hurt my hand and the bolt didnt even begin to budge.

any lube that would help or should i not do that, just try to push harder.

i also dont want to break the head off of the bolt (that would be where i get screwed). what are the chances of that happening. should i just take it to the mechanic so that if it breaks its his fault?

90Brougham350
05-03-05, 09:10 AM
No, that's just wasting at least $100.00 Spray a little bust-a-nut on it and let it sit for a few. You'll get it.

Brian

The Ape Man
05-03-05, 10:26 AM
I must have mis-read your post. I thought that you had the bolt loose and the housing was stuck. Anyway, give the thing a bath of brake fluid. Brake fluid screws up paint but it works great on things that are stuck. Takes a few days to work.

cmgrafmc
05-03-05, 02:58 PM
Since I'm uncomfortable saying, "Bust-A-Nut," I'd recommend "Liquid Wrench." We've had success with that stuff.

pimpin88
05-03-05, 05:36 PM
lol, thanks you guys, i've got brake cleaner and liquid wrench in the garage, i'll put some on and see what happens. hopefully it breaks loose.

how bad is 16 degrees. thats what it is at right now

cmgrafmc
05-03-05, 07:14 PM
I'm no expert but the label on the front says 20 degrees BTDC. 16 is where I was last week before they misadjusted it to 10 and then back up to 20. Going from 16 to 20 won't make a huge difference but it could improve fuel economy slightly...and cause some slight pinging with 87 octane fuel. The knock-sensor SHOULD correct for that but if it's too severe, go with plus or premium.

The Ape Man
05-03-05, 08:13 PM
lol, thanks you guys, i've got brake cleaner and liquid wrench in the garage, i'll put some on and see what happens. hopefully it breaks loose.

how bad is 16 degrees. thats what it is at right now

Not brake cleaner. Brake fluid. Brake cleaner is only good for killing bugs and cleaning stuff.

pimpin88
05-03-05, 10:23 PM
oops, thats what i meant, i misread it