: Wobbling???

9thahardway
05-02-05, 03:59 PM
First off, hello to all my proud Cadillac owners!

Alright, I have a 1990 Fleetwood/Brougham (5.7 / v8) and when I am driving around 50-60 mph (or when my car is switching gears at that speed) my car wobbles:banghead: & it seems to start at the front end. I have asked allot of people from pep boys to autozone and everybody keep giving me different answeres. They said "Shocks" & I bought shocks, they said wheel Alignment and I got one & etc... These answers are not working, please hopefully somebody has encountered this problem and can help me with some good suggestions. Thanks for your time!:banghead:

N0DIH
05-02-05, 05:07 PM
Check the rag joint on the input to the steering box. It is often an overlooked culprit.

Also, is there any noise from the front wheel bearings? Or is it a quiet front end.

My was fairly wandering and I found my left front sway bar link was extremely loose. Like over 1 in of play. Tighted it up and it was much better.

Scott Mueller mentioned at high miles the rag joint (Steering coupler) is often bad.

Also check the upper and lower control arm bushings, if they are worn it will cause the control to shift around and some wander in the front end.

notyettoday
05-02-05, 10:30 PM
my 78 used to do that too, got new tires all the way around, no more problems

BluEyes
05-03-05, 11:10 AM
is it only at 50-60, or does it continue to higher speeds?
My initial feeling was with notyettoday - tire balance being off usually only shows up at higher speeds, but that will only get worse with increasing speed.
If it does get worse as speed increases then it could be balance. You don't need new tires though - most tire shops will balance your existing tires for a pretty small amount.

9thahardway
05-03-05, 03:21 PM
Check the rag joint on the input to the steering box. It is often an overlooked culprit.

Also, is there any noise from the front wheel bearings? Or is it a quiet front end.

My was fairly wandering and I found my left front sway bar link was extremely loose. Like over 1 in of play. Tighted it up and it was much better.

Scott Mueller mentioned at high miles the rag joint (Steering coupler) is often bad.

Also check the upper and lower control arm bushings, if they are worn it will cause the control to shift around and some wander in the front end.

Wow :worship:, what you have told me sounds right on point. From the sway bar to the rag joint & bushings. Its gotta be one or the other (it just gotta be). I will have these things checked out A.S.A.P. Also, to your other questions-I have tried the tire balance thing and nope even new tires and still no luck! But what N0DIH said has to be the trick. Also yes from time to time when I push on my brakes it does make like a small crunching noise in front (and I just got new brakes so that want be the problem). Anyway, only on the net can you find what you are really looking for.:thumbsup:

The Ape Man
05-03-05, 07:21 PM
I was going to post that I never had a bad rag joint on any of my Cadillacs in the last 25 years. I didn't post though. Well today I unlock the column and pop the hood on my low mileage 1980 Fleetwood and guess what? Yup the rag joint is freakin' worn out. Next problem is that Motormite seems to not make a repair kit for this particular coupler. Guess I'll be swiping the shaft offa the '82 SDV for an upcoming road trip this weekend! Now to find out who makes a nice urethane upgrade. That and the steering box out of my '82 Trans-Am will really make steering more fun.

notyettoday
05-03-05, 09:34 PM
well the problem with mine was tumors growing in the tires for lack of a better term, there were bulges, and it started with the front right, and went all the way around the car so i just got all new tires