: Governor in NorthStar V8?

cadillac kid1
10-24-13, 01:29 PM
I own a 2004 Cadillac Deville and I am told that this car has a governor, you can have this switched off, it has a on board computer everythings electronic in the car , just trying to educate myself, I have no interest in going any faster in this car considering age and mileage and not having a legal track around. Thank You.

Ranger
10-24-13, 03:00 PM
Not a "governor" so to speak, but the car IS speed limited according to the tires that came from the factory. The limiting is done by the PCM and it will disable the injectors on the Deville at 112 MPH. Technically, the PCM can be re-flashed if you can find someone with a Tech II willing to accept the liability of removing the speed limiter. I think in order to do that you need the VIN from an STS that came from the factory with Z rated tires.

Submariner409
10-24-13, 03:01 PM
Think vehicle "speed limiter", controlled by the VSS on the right transmission output shaft housing. It's part of the PCM programming, set to the speed rating of the tires as originally ordered on the car. It's not just "turned off". You need to have a second party reflash your PCM with the programs from a car with the desired speed limiter.

Your car is probably an "S" car - 112 mph - and when you get close to 112 the systems shut off the fuel injectors.

Our engines also have an rpm limiter when the transmission is in N or P - 4,000 rpm, to prevent unloaded engine exercises.

This chart shows the various tire rating maximum speeds - your speed limiter corresponds with the tire rating as shown on the driver's door sticker tire rating.

cadillac kid1
10-24-13, 11:41 PM
Thank You, so if I have Z rated tires and have the speed limiter taken off I can go around 180 MPH?

dkozloski
10-25-13, 12:49 AM
Thank You, so if I have Z rated tires and have the speed limiter taken off I can go around 180 MPH?If you have a Nash Metropolitan pushing you.

MoistCabbage
10-25-13, 12:55 AM
Thank You, so if I have Z rated tires and have the speed limiter taken off I can go around 180 MPH?

Umm, no. The tires won't make the car go any faster, they just won't fail at under their rated speed.

Your car would top out somewhere ~140 MPH or so, on a good day, with plenty of room.

CadillacLuke24
10-25-13, 08:42 AM
Umm, no. The tires won't make the car go any faster, they just won't fail at under their rated speed.

Your car would top out somewhere ~140 MPH or so, on a good day, with plenty of room.

:yeah: Only so much the engine can do to overcome air resistance.

Submariner409
10-25-13, 10:17 AM
I doubt that a base Deville (275 hp, 3.11:1 final drive) would even make it to 140 - too much drag for the power available to overcome.

You could search for the car's frontal drag coefficient .......... but it's not exactly a flying needle.

The base should do about 7.4 in the 0-60 time and about 15.7 in the 1/4.

Ranger
10-25-13, 02:00 PM
Why and where would you do 180 MPH?

accuab
10-25-13, 02:50 PM
Why and where would you do 180 MPH?

On the interstate running from the cops lol

cadillac kid1
10-25-13, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't Ranger, just curious if it was capable, didn't think so evemn140 MPH impresses me wouldn't do that either lol, I do know the car will not go over 99 MPH on cruise controll, and at that speed it still feels like i'm going 70 75

CadillacLuke24
10-26-13, 03:02 PM
I doubt that a base Deville (275 hp, 3.11:1 final drive) would even make it to 140 - too much drag for the power available to overcome.

You could search for the car's frontal drag coefficient .......... but it's not exactly a flying needle.

The base should do about 7.4 in the 0-60 time and about 15.7 in the 1/4.

Drag coefficient for a 1996 DeVille is .36, so I'd imagine the op's is somewhat better