: BIlsteins for your Cadi!!!! - what's the deal, who here has ridden in a Cadillac wit

SolidGoldsteen
05-02-05, 04:11 AM
Well, I posted a thread in the Suspension forum, but I think it's stale in that corner... I was asking in that thread if Bilsteins would ruin the ride of my 84 SDV. I assume it would render auto leveling useless, so I am wondering if the Bilsteins are decent in an 84 Cadillac. All of the Bilsteins designs are different, so I donno, about the Cadillac design...

I just came from a stint with a BMW 2002, the worlds smallest car that's not a POS. And Bilsteins are the ONLY way to go on those cars...

cmgrafmc
05-02-05, 04:31 AM
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I doubt I'm alone when I say, "What the hell are you asking?" =P

SolidGoldsteen
05-02-05, 05:38 AM
Well, I posted a thread in the Suspension forum, but I think it's stale in that corner... I was asking in that thread if Bilsteins would ruin the ride of my 84 SDV. I assume it would render auto leveling useless, so I am wondering if the Bilsteins are decent in an 84 Cadillac. All of the Bilsteins designs are different, so I donno, about the Cadillac design...

HotRodSaint
05-03-05, 12:37 PM
I've got the 'stiff' Caprice police car Bilsteins on my '96. The ride is european touring. Not real stiff, but nowhere near soft.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/289000-289999/289674_71_full.jpg
More Pic's and Specís Here. (http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotrodsaint)

SolidGoldsteen
05-03-05, 05:52 PM
That is ****ing SHARP. NIce car!

theGman
05-03-05, 07:08 PM
I got the same shocks as the Saint; dittos on what he said about the stiffness.

SolidGoldsteen
05-04-05, 12:59 AM
I'm guessing they wouldn't be equally as harsh as my BMW 2002 (2000 pounds) with Bilstein Sports...something that every woman will cry about eventually. Including my dad :shhh:

BluEyes
05-04-05, 04:39 PM
you'd have to go incredibly stiff with the shocks and springs to have the same kind of ride response out of a 4000#+ Caddy (my '70 is around 5500#) as in a light sportscar. (I'm jealous of your 2002, BTW)

A lighter car will always tend to have a higher natural frequency in its ride than a heavier one. A higher frequency is generally felt as a harsher ride. Of course, it's also what makes a lighter car respond faster to steering input than our boats...

N0DIH
05-04-05, 07:57 PM
My friends 96 454 K2500 Suburban has a pretty high freq spring rate, much higher than my 96 K1500 350 Suburban....

Surprisingly stiffer, and much nicer ride if you ask me, but I like it .... Never mind, not going there.....

caddycruiser
05-04-05, 08:45 PM
I'd love it if my big Titanic of a car had a very firm feel to go with it's heavy self, rather than feeling like a 10-ton sailboat bobbing around on top of a bag of water....but I guess that's the way Cadillac wanted it to be :nono:

Either way, I know it can be changed, but this car will be staying as close to stock as possible for, well, probably eternity, so I'll just have to make due with maybe some new shocks. Seriously though, this car would be a BLAST if the steering was firmer and the ride A LOT more controlled....because it would still be so heavy, the ride would remain great. Even a ride/handling/steering combo like our Suburban would be awesome.

Actually, it's funny, because this is the ONLY car we've ever had that I absolutely, positively CANNOT ride in the backseat--tons of room back there, but I literally get sea sick, as the ride feels 10X floatier back there for some reason. Not a problem I have in my dad's Roadmaster, though.

We want to get rid of the leveling whenever the shocks get replaced, and are still thinking most about putting Gabriel Load Carrier shocks with assist coils on them all around, to both give a boost and keep it level, and also firm it up a little.

juiceE
05-05-05, 11:35 AM
We want to get rid of the leveling whenever the shocks get replaced, and are still thinking most about putting Gabriel Load Carrier shocks with assist coils on them all around, to both give a boost and keep it level, and also firm it up a little.

THATS THE SHOCKS I HAVE IN THE REAR, WITH GABRIEL POLICE SHOCKS IN FRONT, SITTIN ON IMPALA SS SPRINGS. THE RIDE IS FINE, BUT I THINK I MIGHT GET A DIFFERENT SWAY BAR DOWN THE LINE, I JUST DONT FEEL LIKE FORKIN OVER CASH I DONT HAVE :want:

caddycruiser
05-05-05, 12:54 PM
THATS THE SHOCKS I HAVE IN THE REAR, WITH GABRIEL POLICE SHOCKS IN FRONT, SITTIN ON IMPALA SS SPRINGS. THE RIDE IS FINE, BUT I THINK I MIGHT GET A DIFFERENT SWAY BAR DOWN THE LINE, I JUST DONT FEEL LIKE FORKIN OVER CASH I DONT HAVE :want:

Gotcha. I never thought they made Load Carriers for the front, but they were listed when I looked them up, so I just thought it'd be a good idea to put them at all four corners. My father doesn't think they'd be right on the front end, but we'll have to see.

No new springs or swaybars here.... :cool:

evilrussian
05-05-05, 04:39 PM
I have KYB shocks all around on my '83 DeVille and the ride is definitely firmer. At first it even felt kinda harsh but maybe it "settled" or I just got used to it and now it feels all right, firm but comfortable.

cmgrafmc
05-05-05, 05:07 PM
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I doubt I'm alone when I say, "What the hell are you asking?" =P

Just so everyone knows, at the time I posted the above, his original question wasn't at all clear to me. He has since rephrased it and now my reply is out-dated.

Thank you for your attention. =P