: Radiator hose looks warped and rubbing against engine...

powerglide
05-01-05, 09:26 PM
Is this normal?

The top radiotor hose looks a little warped and it is making contact with the engine. It looks like a little chaffing is occuring where its contacting.

I was gonna take a piece of plastic tie and secure the hose against the frame or the plastic cover that runs along the top of the front engine bay.

Just curious, because I am finally gonna get to doing a cololant change here in a few days and wondering if this needs to be replaced too.

Thanks (98 deville, 91K miles, never has overheated)

Ranger
05-01-05, 10:28 PM
Mine was like that too. I just wrapped it with duct tape at the contact point. I noticed my daughters '99 SLS has a retainer to hold the hose in place away from the engine and keep it tucked up under the radiator cover.

Dadillac
05-01-05, 11:30 PM
My '02 SLS has the radiator cover, that holds the top radiator hose. Does the Deville's not have this? If it does, just pop it back behind there.

Don

Ranger
05-01-05, 11:47 PM
'97 doesn't.

powerglide
05-02-05, 12:31 AM
My '02 SLS has the radiator cover, that holds the top radiator hose. Does the Deville's not have this? If it does, just pop it back behind there.

Don

Doesn't look like the 98 has one either.

I dont want to put a point load on the hose by using a zip tie but dont want to use duct tape either.....I've got to figure something out.

Lemme know if anyone has a slick fix.

Thanx

Spyder
05-02-05, 02:51 AM
Black duct tape! :D

powerglide
05-02-05, 04:52 AM
Yeah good idea....but the concern is that the hose will continue to rub, eventually through the duct tape. It'll be a bandaid of a fix.

1996deVille
05-02-05, 11:33 AM
Find a piece of old rad hose and cut it at about 3" or so. Slice one side down the middle. Slip it over the hose where it rubs and cable tie (black) in place. The "rub" will occur on the cut 3" section.

Good luck!

powerglide
05-02-05, 02:32 PM
Thats the best idea so far! I was thinkin along those lines but dont have an old rad hose....so I was thinking a piece of leather/cloth/toilet-paper-inner-roll.....

I think a thick cloth or something would work.

Thanks!

Ranger
05-02-05, 09:18 PM
FWIW. my tape hasn't worn through in several years. I once did the same thing on a 501 but I used aluminum tape. That never wore through either.

Spyder
05-03-05, 01:30 AM
Yea, I don't see how it'd rub through a good quality tape but not through a piece of cloth or toilet paper inner roll... but I do like the old rad hose idear...I'd go with the black duct tape though...not quite as big and noticeable. :)

outlaw1369
05-03-05, 10:18 AM
Buy a new hose ($10-$12) at Pepboys, Autozone, etc... and use the old one for the sleeve. It's cheap insurance and your existing hose has already started to wear at the contact point.

BeelzeBob
05-03-05, 11:53 AM
No old radiator hose...????.....

Time for some dumpster diving behind an autosupply store or nearby garage. EVERYONE should have a piece of old radiator hose around for making bandaids and abrasion shields.

Keep in mind that if the hose hasn't worn thru or damaged itself in 91K/8 years it is probably OK.....

powerglide
05-03-05, 05:15 PM
No hose.....I;ve been moving from every 9 months-1 year for the last few years....you tend to shed lots of stuff....

Is the new hose really that cheap? Don't you need special part (hose molded for my car)?

Its cheap I guess its not a big deal to replace it but if its not necessary then I'd rather spend it on something else.

dkozloski
05-03-05, 05:57 PM
If you want it to look aircrafty, go to your industrial electrical supply store and get big spiral wrap, a ty-wrap anchor and a big ty-wrap. the spiral wrap to protect the hose and the ty-wrap and anchor to nail it in place and prevent future trouble. Split radiator hose is Sooooo ghetto!

powerglide
05-04-05, 12:29 AM
.........Split radiator hose is Sooooo ghetto!

LOL!!!!!!

totally agree with you there....LOL...but it gets the job done.

In the end I decided to buy some black duct/duck tape.

3 bucks for a small roll at walmart...+I have other uses for it.

Thanks for the input fellas!

Spyder
05-04-05, 01:23 AM
Ha!!! My way really IS the best way! Take THAT bbob! :D