: B&B Headers on Today.. WOW!

willsctsv
05-01-05, 06:49 PM
Hands down. A must do for the V. :)
This engine has been half asleep all along. Who would of known. The Horsepower increase is there right off of idle. The car revs effortlessly and pulls like it's a pit bull on steroids. I had to take out the wife and kids and there was a bit of traffic so I couldn't get fully on it, but even at 1/2 throttle the car responds like never before. I'm very happy with the headers with the highflo cats. I installed it in about 5 hours, the instructions say 3 hrs. That's a bit quick, because I have air tools to speed things up and it still took me 5 hrs. The spark plugs on this engine are a big pain in the ass.

I would reccomend wrapping the headers or getting the sleeves they sell only because the spark plug wires are very close and 2 of them actually touch the header. I wrapped them and the wire hits slightly on the wrap.

1 more thing. The 5/8 bolts for the cat to the exhaust that are supplied with the headers strip easily. I stripped out 2 of the 4 and used my own bolts I had laying around. I hope B&B puts out stronger bolts with future buys.

Overall the install was very smooth, Very nice fit. The old manifold is tight so you will be ratcheting a while. This part is time consuming, and getting the plugs back in is not easy.

Like I said, performance is felt immediately, even revving the engine in neutral it sounds like it's sucking in more air and making more power. No louder than the B&B exhaust before, maybe a little deeper at higher rpm's.

I'll let you know later after traffic dies out, I'll go for a test drive. Maybe find an M3:want: .Ha. Ha.

When the plugs and O2 sensors were out it appeared I may be running a little lean. It will be even more lean now. So I'm sure the car will run even better once I get a tune on the Computer. Maybe I'll send it to DTE.

I'll be back....:coolgleam

ages
05-01-05, 07:02 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

we want pics, brother.

(not of the headers, of your ride) :yup:

StealthV
05-01-05, 08:44 PM
Will, did you reuse your "straight" x-pipe front pipes or use the included resonator pipes?

My B&B headers shipped Wednesday - should be here tomorrow. After your review, I can't wait! :thumbsup: Time to get my new tuning done. :sneaky:

wildwhl
05-01-05, 11:12 PM
OK, so it is a race to get the headers on a Maggie car next - I can't wait :)

willsctsv
05-01-05, 11:44 PM
I'm back from my fun run! On the highway the car sounds, well, not stock anymore.:lildevil: Sounds very deep, and very hungry for anything that wants to try the V..:sneaky:
Those extra resonators may help quiet it down a little, but I love it the way it is..:sneaky:
You mostly feel the torque increase down low in the RPM range, and when your on the highway you feel more throttle response.
This is a 12 second car no doubt with headers. You will be working on your reflexes because you will not be spending much time in any gear before you need to shift again.. :thumbsup:

Stealth, I just bolted the headers to the existing B&B X Pipe that was installed when I did the exhaust a few months ago. So, I have the extra resonators if anyone needs them.
I can't wait to drive it again..

CTSV05
05-02-05, 07:35 AM
Kool!!!!

Sounds like you're happy and this is what spending the money is all about.

I've driven a car with B&B headers and exh., and rode in one as well. I liked the way they sounded, but for my taste and the fact my wife must drive ours on road trips think it was a bit much.

if I had a second V, then I would def. go the beefier exh. route!

Did you get any 1/4 mi. times prior to the exh.? Headers?

ssmith100
05-02-05, 09:33 AM
Willstsv,

Which two spark plug wires are touching the headers???? I'm not going to wrap mine but will buy a set of boot heat protectors if needed. I discussed this with Dennis before I bought and he said they didn't have any plug wire issues. Your post has quirked my interest. Burnt plug wires are the normal horror story for headers.

StealthV, We're going to need an extensive and lots of pics write up;)

Shane

willsctsv
05-02-05, 11:22 AM
Kars, I have'nt been to the 1/4 mile yet, I just making an educated guess based on factory #'s and what some have posted on this board..
Shane, Maybe if I didn't wrap the headers the spark plug wire would clear it by 1/8 of an inch or less.
That's still pretty close, but the wires are made of high temp silicone so they shouldn't burn anyway. I'm just a little meticulous.

If you don't wrap them, and I you should because the O2 sensor wires and a few others that are near the transmission and firewall come very close to the headers.
You should buy header exhaust jackets.
www.thermotec.com (http://www.thermotec.com/)

To wrap them is pretty simple, will only take abooy 1.5 hrs of your time, and you will never get the opportuniy again, unless you take them off the car.
I see no down side to this. It's worth 100 bucks. 2 roll's of 2"x 50'.

ssmith100
05-02-05, 11:58 AM
Willsctsv,

Did you use the paper header gaskets at the heads or something different???

Any exhaust leak issues???

Thanks,
Shane

urbanski
05-02-05, 12:00 PM
i heard wrapping will hold in moisture and cause early corrosion....
but these are stainless so heat and corrosion issues should be minimal, am i rite??

StealthV
05-02-05, 12:31 PM
Will, what did you use to get the front end of the car up in the air? Ramps, jackstands? How high is the average person going to have to raise the V to get the headers on?

willsctsv
05-02-05, 02:30 PM
The gaskets supplied are fine. The manifold to head seal very nice. No need for the metal gasket. You can't re-use the old metal gasket because the shape of the manifold is already crimped in. I get a slight leak under the car where the headers bolt to the exhaust. It's only noticable if you put your hand there. I'll probably try a little exhaust sealer on that part because I can't get the flange bolts any tighter without stripping them.
I don't think any moisture will hold up inside those babies. Besides there stainless steel.

I used 6" ramps and it was fine, although keep a good floor jack handy because to get the new headers in you will need to go up another 6" or so.

It wasn't bad leaning over the engine while the car was on the ramps, but while jacked up and putting in a few bolts to hold the header in place was tough.

The clearance between the wheel well and the header isn't much and my hands are all beat up today(cuts and scratches). All very worth it!
Have fun getting those spark plugs in and out, and the manifold bolts are no fun either.
I also think the engine runs a little cooler. If I'm in stop and go traffic, same temps as stock. When you go on the highway, she cools down to 195 faster than before.

urbanski
05-02-05, 02:34 PM
mine are still being made :(
but i got them to weld in extra O2 bungs :D

StealthV
05-02-05, 02:52 PM
Good man. ;)

willsctsv
05-02-05, 04:56 PM
What's the extra Bungs for? I know it sounds funny, but I'm serious. Is this for tuning?

urbanski
05-02-05, 05:45 PM
What's the extra Bungs for? I know it sounds funny, but I'm serious. Is this for tuning?
yep.
i don't know much, but you slap a wideband O2 sensor up there and magic happens :)
but i want to play jesse james with mine, throw a spark plug in the hole, dump some raw fuel in there, and spit fire out the arse :D:D

StealthV
05-02-05, 06:16 PM
... and magic happens :)

It's not magic - it's voodoo that you do. :worship: The well tuned V