: Striker

90Brougham350
05-01-05, 05:21 PM
Today I noticed that my rear passenger side door seems to sit a little low when the door is closed. There is just a slightly larger gap up top and the curve of the bottom side of the door is close to the body. The striker looks like isn't pointing at exactly the right angle. My question is about adjusting the striker. It has a large torx head on it. Can I stick a torx bit on the striker and loosen it up and rotate the striker up a little? The striker is the metal rod on the body that the door latch meachanism closes around right? Thanks!

Brian

90Brougham350
05-02-05, 11:32 AM
Come on guys! :yup:

Brian

brougham
05-02-05, 03:33 PM
You can't really figure out that kind of thing by the cracks between the doors and panels because it usually isn't always the same. Look at how it lines up with the rest of the car. I think all that striker does is keep the door closed. If the door isn't straight you probably have to adjust the door hinges or maybe the pins are worn out or something.

90Brougham350
05-02-05, 04:00 PM
Spent about 2 hours this morning on it between class, I loosed up the hinge bolts and with the help of a friend tried to lift the door as high as possible, and rebolted it. Shut the door. It appeared to be closing exactly as it always has. The pins are both fine. I removed the plastic piece that covers the hinges from view from the front, to watch the door shut from a few different angles. So far, it appears the door wants to shut up higher than it does but I'm almost convinced that when the latch mechanism contacts the striker the striker pulls the door down. Thanks for the help so far.

Brian

brougham
05-02-05, 04:13 PM
What does it look like if you close the door but don't latch it? Does it look like it lines up? You're right about how you adjust the striker. If you loosen it I think you can move it around a bit to adjust it.

90Brougham350
05-02-05, 04:46 PM
Sweet. I know this car was in an accident sometime in the past, I can tell by the fact the bumper didn't have an ounce of rust on it and looked brand new when I bought it, so I'm wondering if the striker was adjusted at all. The picture shows what I'm talking about; the arrow is the area where the edge of the door is too close to the body. Thanks for the help!

Brian

N0DIH
05-02-05, 05:11 PM
Sounds like the door pin bushings are shot. Look for them, they are brass and take the wear. Don't mess with the alignment! Just replace the bushings.

This is a COMMON GM problem. You are supposed to oil them every 6 months with motor oil but no one ever does.

You can adjust the striker some, but be cautious, if you are hitting it too hard when the door closes or it is too far off adjustment, it will break and crack part of the area around the striker with it. 2 doors are worst at this. A sign of weak/worn bushings is the door rattles over bumps. It should not, it should be very quiet.

90Brougham350
05-02-05, 07:45 PM
Hmmm, the door never makes noise, but how do I check to see if the bushings are shot? Are they difficult to replace?

Brian